Electric Guitars Tuners?!? We don't need no stinkin' tuners!

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by snarf, Nov 7, 2019.

?

What kind of tuner do you like?

1. Vintage style Fenders

45.5%
  2. Something not as good as vintage style Fenders

54.5%
  1. snarf

snarf audiences like their blues singers to be miserable

Ok, so not really tuners ((like Boss and Snark and Peterson) so much as tuning machines or tuning heads or whatever you want to call them. Those things that your strings attach to on the north side of the nut. Saw a couple of comments in another thread that made me wonder.

What kind of tuners do you prefer? Or do you have a preference? And btw, my poll is totally not biased. :ROFLMAO:

Personally, my fave are the vintage style Fender tuners. The ones that you poke the tip of the string into the middle of the post and then wind away. Oddly enough, although I've talked about putting locking tuners on a couple of guitars, I don't have a single guitar that has them on it. In fact, when I spec-ed out my ADE Strat in Corona, I chose vintage style tuners over locking tuners. I just really like them. If they made those for a non-Fender headstock, I'd put them on all my guitars if I could. I'd argue that they're almost as fast to change as a locking tuner. Cut the string to length, insert string end, bend, wind like mad. I can have the strings on my Strat changed in 5 minutes.

So what kind do you prefer and why? Do you go for aesthetic or function Do you like a particular brand? I know there are several big names (Grover, Schaller, Ping, etc) but I couldn't tell you the difference in any of them. Do you like OEM or after market? I've seen where those Ratio tuners have been getting a lot of good press the last year.

So let's start a discussion on tuning machines. Which ones do you like (or dislike) and what's so good about them?

2. Danno

Danno Blues Newbie

I'm with you on the vintage Fender style. When I built a telecaster from Warmoth parts I specifically went with those machines even though they're a little more involved to install. I'm pretty sure those are Kluson. Aside from the speed of restringing, they're very tidy -- no string ends sticking out to stab your finger or catch your clothes.

snarf likes this.
  3. Al Holloway

Al Holloway Bristol UK

Vanson tuners. https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/vansonguitars?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.c1 Bristish company good quality and good price. Also great customer service. I had bought a set of 3x3 tuners when I decided to make it 4x2. There didn't appear to be an option of buying single tuners so I contacted them to ask if they would sell a single one. They sent me one free:D What's not to like.

cheers

Al.

snarf likes this.
  4. mountain man

mountain man Still got the Blues!

I kinda like the Steinberger Gearless Tuners that come on the new Gibson Firebirds lately! :Beer:

snarf likes this.
  5. JestMe

JestMe Student Of The Blues

Both of my PRS guitars have locking tuners and I do love them... the locking tuners as well as the guitars!

Regarding my acoustics, one is an open slot head with... slot head type [Waverly] tuners. I love the look of slot head guitars even though they might be a bit more cumbersome when changing strings.

TerryH and snarf like this.
  6. artyman

artyman Fareham UK

I have ordinary, Fender vintage, and Gibson locking on the Les Paul, don't have problems with any of them to be honest though the locking ones are probably the quickest to change. Best buy was a string winder, makes the take up so much faster.

snarf likes this.
  7. CaptainMoto

CaptainMoto Blues Voyager

If I had a preference, I'd go with Locking Tuners.
    Guitars I currently own with locking tuners have either Gotoh or Collings, I'm satisfied with both.

brent, PapaBear and snarf like this.
  8. Slofinger

Slofinger Blues Junior

I’ve put those on 4 or 5 guitars that I’ve modded for a guy. A bit pricey at $119, but I really like the way they work. Very easy to turn ergonomically, and they do not loosen. A really simple idea really.

snarf and mountain man like this.
  9. sloslunas

sloslunas NM Blues

Who needs tuners?? Hell, you don't even need strings. They just get in the way of your fingers. And, I sound more better without them. YMMV...

Steve

10. ervjohns

ervjohns Blues Newbie

Fender locking on telecatsters and grover locking on Gibsons

PapaBear and snarf like this.
  11. mountain man

mountain man Still got the Blues!

And lightweight. If you have a neck/head heavy guitar you might loose a little and gain a slightly better balance....... Possibly good on an SG? :Beer:

snarf likes this.
  12. Many Moons

Many Moons Biking+Blues=Bliss

13. MarkDyson

MarkDyson Blues Hound Wannabe

I tend to add lockers to my new guitars and Grover tends to be the brand I get.

PapaBear and snarf like this.
  14. CaptainMoto

CaptainMoto Blues Voyager

Funny Boy:ROFLMAO:

snarf and MarkDyson like this.
  15. aleclee

aleclee Tribe of One

Locking tuners for me

16. matonanjin

matonanjin Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.

^^^^
    What he said.

17. Elwood

Elwood mushin

Lockers are just not a feature that I value much on a guitar. Smooth tuners that will hold pitch, yes. I don't use a whammy bar and I do use frets, so extreme bends don't concern me. Otherwise, I do not understand the popularity. My two new telecasters both came with lockers, they are fine.

I did break an E .010 string on one., a very rare event for me. When I was up buying some single .010 strings the clerk/player said "oh yeah, some guys take a wrap around the post anyway ( with lockers) to help with that".

snarf likes this.
  18. jammoore99

jammoore99 Blues Newbie

I purchased a pre owned strat that has locking tuners; they work really well keeping the guitar in tune. I'd have to say based on my limited experience, I'd have to give them the nod over regular tuners.

snarf likes this.
  19. Slofinger

Slofinger Blues Junior

For me locking tuners are more about easier string change than staying in tune. To many variables to a guitar staying in tune, such as stored in a case versus not, temperature changes in the room there in.

snarf likes this.
  20. Slofinger

Slofinger Blues Junior

Room their in.