Trying to understand the count for the " Music Store Blues in "G"

JohnCossano

Blues Newbie
Hi,
I watched the video this morning about what to play in a music store. I printed out the TAB and was trying to sort out the count for the first few Bars. I keep coming up with just 11 beats in the 12/8 signature? I see five eighth notes, and three DOTTED quarter notes in each of the first couple bars.
What am I missing? Also does any one have a complete chart of all the symbols used in the TAB, such as the little swish under the fives in this video?

Thanks
John Cossano

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
MusicStoreTab.jpg

The swish up to the 5 is a slide up, but not a slur from the previous note. Likewise the downward curve in the third measure is a downward slide.

JohnCossano

Blues Newbie
so the swish is a slide but, how do you know where to slide from, as in from the 3 to the 5, but couldn't it also be from the 4 to the 5? so how would I know?

Thanks
John

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
..how do you know where to slide from, as in from the 3 to the 5, but couldn't it also be from the 4 to the 5? so how would I know?

In this case, you know because Griff explains what to do in the video presentation.

Otherwise, you might not know for sure.

"Usually" a slide is shown with a straight line between both the starting and ending notes.

A slide from an "indefinite" starting point is usually shown with a straight line with only the ending note shown.

However, notation from "publisher" to "publisher" won't be consistent.:mad:

In this lesson, you start the slides from the place where your fingers are already at (points off for grammar), then come back from where you landed to where you started.

In the first measure of this example, your 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers are all on the 3rd fret as part of the G9 chord.

Your 3rd & 4th fingers slide up from the 3rd fret to the 5th fret and come back to the 3rd fret.

(Sliding Major 6ths.)

Second measure is similar, just up one string for the C9.

Third measure you are sliding from Box 1 up to Box 2 and back on the 3rd string with your 3rd finger, which starts on the 5th fret in Box 1 and slides up to the 7th fret, then slides back from the 7th to the 5th.

BTW: A dot above or below a note is an articulation notation. In this case to play staccato.

A dot to the right increases the note value by half.;)

Last edited:

JohnCossano

Blues Newbie
Thanks to all who have helped me sort out some of these small but important details. This is just the second time I have used the Forum and I am very impressed with all the help people who are willing to share. It is a great tool for beginner's like me.

Thanks so much
John Cossano