Trio

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
Got around to watching the Trio session last night and really enjoyed the demonstration of how it can be a useful tool.

I bought one of the original Trio's a few years ago just before the Trio + came out. At the time the buzz was that the original was junk and everyone was moving on to the newer looper models. Mine went on the shelf and stayed there.

Well Griff's explaining how everything works has me planning to give it another go over the holidays, for me I think the original will be more useful than the new one. Thanks Griff and keep this type of gear talk going!

MarcV

Blues Junior
Got around to watching the Trio session last night and really enjoyed the demonstration of how it can be a useful tool.

I bought one of the original Trio's a few years ago just before the Trio + came out. At the time the buzz was that the original was junk and everyone was moving on to the newer looper models. Mine went on the shelf and stayed there.

Well Griff's explaining how everything works has me planning to give it another go over the holidays, for me I think the original will be more useful than the new one. Thanks Griff and keep this type of gear talk going!
Yep based on Griff's talk I have a used trio on the way. The trio + seems a little pricey for what it does. Good luck with yours

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I got my Trio when Sweetwater had the prices slashed and on sale when the new one came out. The Sweetwater rep almost sounded like he was trying to talk me out of getting the old one in favor for the ne one. After seeing how Griff was demonstrating it and then with the looper in series afterward It sounds like it cold be pretty fun. My question which I need to ask Griff is what mixer was he using and what sound system was he using? I've got a couple DAW interfaces I've never used but I don't think this is the kind of mixer Griff was referring too. :Beer:

MarcV

Blues Junior
I got my Trio when Sweetwater had the prices slashed and on sale when the new one came out. The Sweetwater rep almost sounded like he was trying to talk me out of getting the old one in favor for the ne one. After seeing how Griff was demonstrating it and then with the looper in series afterward It sounds like it cold be pretty fun. My question which I need to ask Griff is what mixer was he using and what sound system was he using? I've got a couple DAW interfaces I've never used but I don't think this is the kind of mixer Griff was referring too. :Beer:

Do you happen to know what the signal chain was when Griff could "Not" get looper to sync with trio in session? Clear that when he connected trio straight to looper it synced fine but was never clear on connections on his 1st try when it did not sync.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Do you happen to know what the signal chain was when Griff could "Not" get looper to sync with trio in session? Clear that when he connected trio straight to looper it synced fine but was never clear on connections on his 1st try when it did not sync.
I believe he first tried to have the Trio and the Looper in series and the problem is hitting both "on buttons" at the exact nano-second.

Terry B

When I originally got it I don't think I knew what the "mixer" out was for, nor did I probably have anything to plug it into at the time, but I do remember not finding the sound too authentic through my amp. After watching I can't wait to try hooking it up to my Bose S1. Also, as a guitar player I prefer playing with bass and drums only, no need for me to try to add more rhythm parts through the looper, just gets too complicated. YMMV.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
When I originally got it I don't think I knew what the "mixer" out was for, nor did I probably have anything to plug it into at the time, but I do remember not finding the sound too authentic through my amp. After watching I can't wait to try hooking it up to my Bose S1. Also, as a guitar player I prefer playing with bass and drums only, no need for me to try to add more rhythm parts through the looper, just gets too complicated. YMMV.
That's why I asked @Griff what he was using. No offense but I've no idea what a Bose S1 is and I expect the dozen or more reply's of different set-ups I would get by asking the forum that question would only make things confusing to the point of remaining exactly where I am now. :Beer:

Terry B

That's why I asked @Griff what he was using. No offense but I've no idea what a Bose S1 is and I expect the dozen or more reply's of different set-ups I would get by asking the forum that question would only make things confusing to the point of remaining exactly where I am now. :Beer:

The S1 is just the Bose lower end PA that works great for vocals and acoustic. My understanding of Griff's comments were that whatever mixer / PA one had would work just fine.

Upon re-reading your other post above, I think a DAW mixer would be fine for recording or listening through headphones, but for jamming or in Griff's example doing a "coffee shop gig", a small mixer-PA unit such as the Bose S1 Pro would work great. I got mine for free using reward points.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Cool!
I was an early adapter, had to wait for the first shipments on the original.
It's a nice tool!

Same with the Beat Buddy, I got mine when they where in the crowd funding mode.
Also nice tool, drum quality is much better than Trio, but it won't follow your chord progression and tempo.

Terry B

Cool!
I was an early adapter, had to wait for the first shipments on the original.
It's a nice tool!

Same with the Beat Buddy, I got mine when they where in the crowd funding mode.
Also nice tool, drum quality is much better than Trio, but it won't follow your chord progression and tempo.

I also have the Beat Buddy mini sitting on the shelf. Perhaps an idea for a gear session in the new year. :sneaky:

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
The S1 is just the Bose lower end PA that works great for vocals and acoustic. My understanding of Griff's comments were that whatever mixer / PA one had would work just fine.

Upon re-reading your other post above, I think a DAW mixer would be fine for recording or listening through headphones, but for jamming or in Griff's example doing a "coffee shop gig", a small mixer-PA unit such as the Bose S1 Pro would work great. I got mine for free using reward points.
Hence, why I was asking Griff what he was using. I never use headphones as I live along and I value what is left of my hearing. I always thought Bose of being more of a living room stereo and not for musical instrument uses. I wasn't thinking that a DAW was the type of mixer for use here.

Randy S

Blues Junior
If your home studio set up is through a computer (which it is if you are recording) you may want to just go with Band in a Box. Infinitely more flexible and IMHO easier to program a track with your computer mouse than with your feet.

Or if you just want something simple to practice to there is neat little app called Chord Pulse that is really simple to use. The tracks don't sound as good as Band in a Box but it super easy to put in a chord progression, and has a decent selection of styles to choose from. So say you wanted to practice over a ii-V-I or a V-IV-I or any chord progression you can think of you can program it two minutes and be off practicing

mountain man

Still got the Blues!

Today's Daily Pick is the kind of mixer I was thinking might be needed. A DAW would be hooked up to this and then to the computer software for recording. This might have more capacity than needed which is why I was asking @Griff the questions the way I did. I've no idea if this manufacturer makes good mixers?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbin...7FMBF&dtm_em=3ce6490d78ce1c50f96f71196ab08de1

Last edited:

Terry B

Today's Daily Pick is the kind of mixer I was thinking might be needed. A DAW would be hooked up to this and then to the computer software for recording. This might have more capacity than needed which is why I was asking @Griff the questions the way I did. I've no idea if this manufacturer makes good mixers?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbin...7FMBF&dtm_em=3ce6490d78ce1c50f96f71196ab08de1

I'm not familiar with that brand either but once you add the PA speakers I'm guessing you're in similar territory to what Griff was using.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I'm not familiar with that brand either but once you add the PA speakers I'm guessing you're in similar territory to what Griff was using.
I found what I have and thought might be a mixer but it's a recorder. I'm not sure if I could use this as a studio mixer of not? TASCAM DP-24SD Digital Portastudio Recording System: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DP24SD--tascam-dp-24sd-24-track-digital-portastudio?mrkgadid=3319245797&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gdsa&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=studio&recording&&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=39700048796760858&lid=39700048796760858&ds_s_kwgid=58700005374436723&device=c&network=g&matchtype=b&locationid=9030901&creative=452849193047&targetid=aud-994727058645:dsa-561231943109&campaignid=6730319008&gclsrc=aw.ds&&mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3319245797&rkg_id=0&campaigntype=dsa&campaign=aaDSA&adgroup=1233692239:DSA - Studio & Recording&placement=google&adpos=&creative=452849193047&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuJb_BRDJARIsAKkycUlcBqtr1iwtPGtcf95WKE4f5co4ndC8unxP8k1X0iN2vXc2hY-BenAaAtwuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The The Harbinger L1402FX-USB 14-channel mixer looks more analog to me which for me is more understandable. I read the manual on the Tascam DP-24SD on a long day flying to a meeting and it was so confusing and convoluted that i just didn't go any further....... I just thumbed through the manual and it doesn't discuss using it as a mixer.

Last edited:

Terry B

I don't understand all that stuff either, that's why I'm happy with the simplicity of my S1. It doesn't have many gadgets or effects or anything, just a simple 2 inputs plus an aux with speaker as an all in one unit. Compact all in one unit and great for taking out and using for singing and playing guitar as well. I believe @MikeS was using one for his live gigs.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I don't understand all that stuff either, that's why I'm happy with the simplicity of my S1. It doesn't have many gadgets or effects or anything, just a simple 2 inputs plus an aux with speaker as an all in one unit. Compact all in one unit and great for taking out and using for singing and playing guitar as well. I believe @MikeS was using one for his live gigs.

I have one, too. The lady who ran the open mics I used to haunt (before Covid) used one for her stage setup and I loved the simplicity and sound so found a deal on a used one. It's what powers my acoustic rig in my little basement music area. I've used it to stream a "virtual open mic" set or two and it's been great.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I didn't see the Griff Demo being discussed so, I can't answer the specific question.
However, here's my 2 cents:
The benefit of using some sort of mixer is that the guitar signal can be sent to the amp while the Drum/Bass created by the Trio can be sent separately to an interface or mixer.
The Trio recognizes what's plugged into the outputs and send the signals accordingly.

-Plug into the Amp Out only and the guitar and Drums/Bass go to the guitar amp.
In this instance EQ & Volume set on the amp for guitar tone, will also be applied to the Bass/Drums.
The Trio will apply some EQ to the Drums/Bass only to try to improve the tone from a guitar amp.

-Plug into the Mixer Out and everything goes to the mixer as a mono signal instead of the amp.
Once again any EQ done at the mixer will apply to everything, however, the Trio will add some cab simulation to the guitar only.
If you have the mixer hooked up to speakers you'll get one mono sound of all instruments.

-Plug the Amp into Amp Out & Mixer to Mixer Out, Trio will split the signals.
You will only hear guitar trough the amp and Bass/Drums trough the mixer/speakers.
The advantage here is, you can adjust volume, EQ, effects independently and, the mixer/speaker combo will do a better job of representing the Bass/Drum tones.

If you have multi a input interface you can record two tracks, Guitar & Bass/Drums.
Any mixer will do, because you'll only be receiving a mono Bass Drums signal all you need is one input.
If you whish to plug a guitar into the mixer (maybe an acoustic?) then all you need is two inputs.
All mixers have stereo output to go to the monitors.

The Tascam DP24 can be used as a mixer.
Keep in mind you will need powered monitors to hear anything.

The Bose S1 is a single powered monitor that can be used without a mixer, it has inputs, volume and EQ built in.

There are lots of inexpensive mixers that will do the job.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c264--Analog_Mixers?sb=popular

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yep. Although I use it as a main with my Bose Tone Master mixer because I sometimes use more than 2 XLR inputs.