Thrilling#2

Discussion in 'The Virtual Jam Room' started by Caboburt, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Caboburt

Caboburt No Bad Days

Paleo, Many Moons, Elwood and 3 others like this.
  2. Marv

Marv I play 'err' guitar.

#2 Marv, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Paleo, Many Moons, Elwood and 4 others like this.
  3. Caboburt

Caboburt No Bad Days

Well done, Marv. Classy

Marv likes this.
  4. MikeC

MikeC Blues Newbie

#4 MikeC, Sep 19, 2020
    Many Moons, Marv, Elwood and 3 others like this.
  5. Elio

Elio Student Of The Blues

I may be going off the reservation on this one but...

RECORDING

I've been working on a couple different harp solos for this one so I decided to cheat and give the guitar the night off. Unfortunately, I really haven't been able to achieve a tone I'm happy with for recording but here it is, warts and all. I took it from about 3:21 to 3:50

Mike, Marv, and Caboburt, you guys are sounding smoooth!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsq8yq1xdu30u35/Harp thrill.mp3?dl=0

#5 Elio, Sep 19, 2020
    Paleo, Many Moons, Marv and 4 others like this.
  6. Caboburt

Caboburt No Bad Days

Hey MikeC...that was very cool

7. Ted_Zeppelin

Ted_Zeppelin I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.

#7 Ted_Zeppelin, Sep 19, 2020
    Paleo, Many Moons, Marv and 3 others like this.
  8. Elio

Elio Student Of The Blues

9. Caboburt

Caboburt No Bad Days

Elio...nicely done.

TZ...I got goosebumps with the chord embellishments at the turnaround. Sweet

Elio likes this.
  10. artyman

artyman Fareham UK

#10 artyman, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Elwood, Elio, Marv and 2 others like this.
  11. Ted_Zeppelin

Ted_Zeppelin I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.

Sounded good to me Elio. I bought one a few years back with every intention of learning how to play it...I guess I better dig it back out and start learning:whistle::whistle::whistle:.

Elio likes this.
  12. MikeS

MikeS Allen, TX
    Staff Member

#12 MikeS, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Elwood, Elio, Caboburt and 3 others like this.
  13. Paleo

Paleo An Old Fossil

14. MikeC

MikeC Blues Newbie

Thank you Sir, much appreciated.

15. Elwood

Elwood happy camper

Track has a "dirt under your nails" kinda feel to it, :cool:. all that good playing you guys did put a nice edge on it (y) and Elio's harp just set it right off! :Beer:

I took the big bite, all the way to the end.:D:eek::D

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/zrp9fetu6muws87/Thrill2Am-Cb-Mrv-Mc-Eo-Tz-Rt-Ms-Po-Ew.mp3?dl=0

This is the Taylor 314ce pretending to be an electric guitar (I do the same drills on it). I just plugged it into my bass amp, set everything flat, and into my DAW, massaged it in there. 3 channels of the same direct in from the Taylor ES-2 pickups. Something different. :whistle:

Thanks for posting this up Burt, Fun!!! :Beer::Beer::Beer:

#15 Elwood, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Caboburt, MikeC and Ted_Zeppelin like this.
  16. Caboburt

Caboburt No Bad Days

That was great, Elwood. So regular amp into computer? How do you do that?

17. Elwood

Elwood happy camper

Thanks Burt, :notworthy: I struggled as evidenced by my lack of imagination.:rolleyes: It was really fun using the 314 though!!! :D

I use a PreSonus 68c (just about any digital audio interface should be the same) with Studio 1 Artist. With the Taylors I find they sound better if I use something to kick up the gain before going to the 68c. (folks who know what they are doing may be able to boost it within the DAW, this works for me now) My bass amp (Fender Rumble 200) sounds better with the acoustics than my guitar amp (Fender SuperChamp2) so I just plug the Taylors right into the bass amp, run a balanced (xlr) line out to the 68c and done. :thumbup:

For that VJR track I did the "easy thing" and just dampened a bunch of LF stuff. A quick way to get done at the expense of some tone.
    If I am trying to make them sound pretty I can use a mic or mics in addition to the direct input and take time to deal with the lows instead of dump em. :whistle:

I guess you could do just about the same thing with a guitar cord, ha! :Beer:

I believe I learned all of the above right here, from Moto, and Papa, and lots of other folks trying to help me learn to play more and cuss less. The Studio One posts are another huge kick up the learning curve, from the same seedy cast of characters. :sneaky:;)

Caboburt and PapaRaptor like this.
  18. Caboburt

Caboburt No Bad Days

Thanks for the answer Elwood. :Beer: Soooo....plug guitar into amp, then amp into interface (as opposed to guitar into interface) using xlr cable ? I need a picture. Got one? Thanks dude.

19. Elwood

Elwood happy camper

Burt,

I can't dream up a photo that would help. Maybe this will;
    [​IMG]

When lifting my Ampeg V4-B head got to be too much (never mind any cabinet too) I downsized to a combo amp, and ended up with the Fender Rumble 200.

The Rumble 200 seems to accidentally be a fair acoustic amp. It has lots of EQ options, a nice 15” full range bass speaker, and a functional horn tweeter with an on – off switch. I didn't realize it at the time but it also has some very useful I/O connections for home recording.

I use the “Line Out” to connect to my digital audio interface. This is a nice quiet (balanced) output with a ground lift, just in case you are chasing a hum. You can usually find a way to connect your amp to your interface...a couple of things to consider;
    1. in general don't use a “speaker” or “ext. speaker” connection. It will be too hot for your interface without a pad or serious care – and – if you run a tube amp with no speaker you screwed up.

2. “headphone” outs can be usable, but may tend to be noisy as they will be high output even at low levels, and very touchy.
    A “line out” either in 1/4” plug or xlr is what you probably want, with the xlr being preferable if you were shopping with connectivity as a consideration. (my guitar amp has the 1/4 line out, I think it's noisier)

(I also plug my Sennheiser 280s in the “headphones” jack, especially if I am recording an acoustic. This kills speaker output. Any of my acoustics are pretty good (bad sounding) mics. Chuffing speaker output right into the acoustic you are recording, for want of a better term, acoustic feedback. Sounds bad.)

@Caboburt , I got tangled up in my story and forgot one important point / you can see I am using the bass amp just as a pre-amp for the guitar. There are tons of pre-amp solutions out there, and if playing bass is not an issue, an acoustic type pre-amp or amp would almost certainly be better.

All this is based on my current understanding, or lack thereof. If anyone sees anything incorrect or that should be clarified, please jump in.

Attached Files:

#19 Elwood, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    PapaRaptor likes this.
  20. Caboburt

Caboburt No Bad Days

Wow...that was great. Further investigation on my part but you have put me on an interesting path. Thanks again for your help.