Thrilla, solo number two, the whole dang song

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Pretty comfortable on solo 2, it is what it is. This is a video of the whole song. I remembered most of the solo licks. Playing the prs se custom22, neck p/u split, into a soulfood od, into a Marshall bluesbreaker sim from scuffham amps. Studio one. Added a rhythm guitar to Griff's backing track.

https://youtu.be/Wgj9_7lylao

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
DUDE!!! That was AWESOME! I'm obviously familiar with the lyrics, and the specific solo (which sounded great), but I'm super impressed with your intro solo and the second solo... how you took pieces of the original Solo 2 and incorporated them. And your chord stabs and response licks were very cool!

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Thanks, guys. I lived with that song for quite a spell. First working on solo 2, then when I decided to rehearse it up for an attempt at live video. I only have a limited amount of licks built up and have never been an improv guy, but sometimes I can get it to work. Very aggravating trying to record live guitar and vox and work a camera at the same time. Took a few takes to get one where I didn't flub too bad or foul the lyrics.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Well that's several steps past the lesson right? You've got the guitar parts down, you integrated the vocals (that's gonna be a huge hurtle for me). You got the backing track into the DAW. You've got the mic, camera and lighting setup. And you actually performed it (another that's gonna be hard for me, I don't do so well when I'm "LIVE" I get the jitters something fierce).

This song for me is also my launching point into next level stuff. I've worked on and developed several underlying guitar rhythms (Griff's as well as some alternates), I've transcribed the original base line and rhythms for the song. I've got the BGU solo dialed in. I need to work up something for intro and outro, then delve into the lyrics... etc. I'm a long way behind you, but you've given me some impetus, so thank you.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Griff has a lesson on the intro to Thrill, I found it on YouTube, I didn't learn it but I picked up a lick and went with it. And if we're playing BB King, it helps not to have to sing and play at the same time much. I'm used to building songs in the DAW and having unlimited takes and wiping out mistakes. So I've got a karaoke like set of songs minus guitar and vocals that I play as an exercise to improve my live playing. Its a good warm up. I spent an hour on three different days trying to record Thrill. Probably fifteen takes, of which three didn't get deleted, this is the final survivor. I had a routine. Botch the song, stop audio recording, undo audio, stop camera, delete video, grab a drink or something and repeat. Trying to put this crazy time to use. Keep plugging, if you own the solo, the rest is just practicing the song over and over and you'll own it, too.