This is one ugly bass!

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Don't know, it has a certain symmetry to it. Probably reduces the weight quite a bit too. Something us old guys have to keep in mind!

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I can only speculate with my own experiences with my Eric Johnson Artist Strat. The Eric Johnson guitar does not have a plastic back plate to cover the springs. The idea is to allow for mo betta vibration and resonance of the body. I have actually felt the vibration of the guitar body at the void where the springs are when I was playing it. So I'd have to say that might have something to do with it. Also, with the f holes going completely through the body you would have not any reverberation and feed back coming from the guitar. Which is why BB King went to a 335 shape guitar without the f holes. :Beer:

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I can only speculate with my own experiences with my Eric Johnson Artist Strat. The Eric Johnson guitar does not have a plastic back plate to cover the springs. The idea is to allow for mo betta vibration and resonance of the body. I have actually felt the vibration of the guitar body at the void where the springs are when I was playing it. So I'd have to say that might have something to do with it. Also, with the f holes going completely through the body you would have not any reverberation and feed back coming from the guitar. Which is why BB King went to a 335 shape guitar without the f holes. :Beer:
My PRS Silver Sky has no back plate either