This Is My Fathers World

Discussion in 'Other Member Recordings' started by WimVD, Jul 14, 2020.

1. WimVD

WimVD Every day I have the blues

dvs and snarf like this.
  2. snarf

snarf musician wannabe

Excellent job!

I may be behind the curve on this one, but would you mind saying what the course is? I really liked that arrangement and would like to learn it.

3. WimVD

Thanks, @snarf . It is the Learn and Master Fingerstyle Guitar Course.

snarf likes this.
  4. CaptainMoto

CaptainMoto Blues Voyager

You never disappoint!
    Another song well done.
    Hope you like the Scarlett.

(y)

5. WimVD

Yes, I like both the Scarlett studio pack and also Reaper. Coming from a cheap clip-on microphone and Garage Band on an iPad, this is a huge step forward.
    I had difficulties recording acoustic guitar properly in the past, but now I have the feeling I'm getting somewhere.

Wim.

CaptainMoto likes this.
  6. Elwood

Elwood a tine for all seasons

Very nice Wim! (y)Sometimes I listen to you and I hope you yearn for a classical guitar sometimes (think of concerto de aranjuez, those lines are like classical blues with no words.) You might find an more expressive platform for some of your work. No matter, that is how your piece affected me, that's pretty dog gone good!
    Another Reaper newby, cool, Kenny Gioia's voice will haunt you as you ponder all the wonders. It's really cool you got new gear, fun!

Hey @WimVD check this reverb out to go with Reaper. To my amateur ears this is my favorite, sweet sounding and very flexible. https://www.audiopluginsforfree.com/orilriver/

#6 Elwood, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  7. MikeS

MikeS Allen, TX
    Staff Member

Very nice work.

WimVD likes this.
  8. Jalapeno

Jalapeno Student Of The Blues

Awesome Wim, as usual. I really loved doing that course. I still play "The Entertainer" occasionally. Mainly because it took me about 4 months to learn and I don't want to forget it :whistle: And Steve's arrangement of Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring is so simple yet beautiful. I play that a lot too.

Eric

9. Many Moons

Many Moons Biking+Blues=Bliss

That's one of my favourite songs Wim, and you played it beautifully.:) Well done.(y)

WimVD likes this.
  10. WimVD

Thanks, @Elwood
    The first reason for me to learn fingerstyle was to be able to play some blues and rock fingerstyle arrangements (Clapton unplugged, Stairway to haven etc.)
    The fingerstyle course I chose covers a very broad spectrum from classical to jazz to Merle Travis. And I must admit that I enjoyed the session on classical guitar a lot. But I want to finish the course first and then decide where to go next.
    So today I started to work on the jazz session :)

Thanks for you advice on the reverb. I will check it out.
    Kenny Gioia has a special voice that has already started to haunt me :barefoot:

Wim.

11. WimVD

Thanks Eric,

I have started session 7 today (Jazz). So in a couple of weeks I will be working on the Entertainer (session 8). That is a nice tune with some good thumb practice, which will help to finally get into Merl Travis picking ;)

Some weeks ago, I recorded Bach's Joy as well:
    https://soundcloud.com/wim-van-damme-401299565/joy
    It took lots of practice to play this at performance tempo.

Wim.

snarf likes this.
  12. Jalapeno

Jalapeno Student Of The Blues

Well done! I went back into my archives and found the recording I posted to the old Learn and Master site back in 2014 when I finally finished learning this song, in case you're interested in hearing another student performance. Back then there was a lot discussion on the forum but very little progress in the courses, at least very few recordings posted. Hopefully that's changed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jpn4q4l39gkupjj/Jesu%20Joy%20of%20Mans%20Desiring.WAV?dl=0

I should probably re-record that. I think I recorded that on my Seagull S6, I should remake it on my Martin HD-20

Eric

Elwood and snarf like this.
  13. WimVD

That sounds nice, Eric.
    I'm on the new guitargathering site from Steve Krenz as well. The monthly recording challenge is still going on there with about 3 up to 8 submissions per month.
    Members are reporting on their progress, but very few finalize the L&M course(s) and it takes most of the students many years to get through.

Wim.

Jalapeno likes this.
  14. BigMike

BigMike Blues Oldie

That is just lovely, great feel to it and played really well.

WimVD likes this.