Theory

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
So we can play:
I pent minor over the I, IV and V
I pent Maj over the I, I pent minor over IV and V
I pent or diatonic Maj over the I and the IV pent minor over the IV and the V pent minor over the V
And then you can use the I pent minor over the I , IV pent minor over the IV, V pent minor over the V.

Blues chords can have the dominant 7th for the I, IV and V which is diatonic. yes?

Why can't we play the diatonic IV and the diatonic V over the IV and V?

What are the diatonic interval tones that cannot be played over the IV and V and why? Is there anyway we can play the diatonic but be careful on certain measures to avoid certain interval tones?

I hope you understand the theory question I'm asking.

Please discuss any variations that also go along with this theme.

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Hasn't Griff said that in a blues you can treat every chord as a I chord
isnt that like a participation trophy........you all get to be a number 1 chord, yeaaaaaahhh

but yes, I do believe he said that, and I do chord chasing all the time, since I am not a great lead player, it works for me

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Hasn't Griff said that in a blues you can treat every chord as a I chord
This works as long as you stay with the pentatonic scale. Even still you have the pent Maj and the pent minor which makes a difference on the IV and the V. Then when you add the diatonic scale things change.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Someone might point out that the I, IV & V in a Major Key would be diatonic. For example, A, D & E.

Dom7 chords in a blues, such as A7, D7 & E7, are each the V7 chord of a different key. i.e. they are not diatonic.

(They are the V7 in D, the V7 in G and the V7 in A, respectively.)

Playing over the Dom7 chords in a blues is a whole different animal from playing over the 3 Major chords within a key.

Last edited: