Theory Cheat Sheet

kkann

Blues Newbie
I tried to take bits and pieces about guitar theory from several of Griff's courses, such as "Guitar Theory Made Useful", "CAGED Unleashed", and his newest "Modern Blues Soloing".

From those courses, I created a little theory cheat sheet for myself and wanted to share it with the group. I print it out on two blank 3" x 5" index cards, and then tape them back to back. I can keep a copy it in the car to check my memory.

On my cheat sheet, I expanded just learning the basic triads to learning the Maj7 notes. That way, if I want a 7th chord, I can just flat the seventh, and I already know the notes. For the modes, I shaded the notes to highlight the major and minor pentatonic scales.

It by no means covers everything, but I hope that you find it useful. Thanks.

Attachments

• Theory Cheat Sheet.pdf
    455 KB · Views: 102

JackWalker

Blues Newbie
Thanks, that is neat. Shortly after I started learning guitar I made my own music poster out of some things that a teacher gave me, some things I found on the internet, and some things that I found in library books. I bought a cheap poster frame with clear plastic and put a fretboard map, chord construction charts, common progressions, etc. I still have some real estate on it so added your cards to it. If anybody else wants to do these the dry erase markers work fine with it too so it doubles as a whiteboard as well.

Bluez Mark

Blues Newbie
I tried to take bits and pieces about guitar theory from several of Griff's courses, such as "Guitar Theory Made Useful", "CAGED Unleashed", and his newest "Modern Blues Soloing".

From those courses, I created a little theory cheat sheet for myself and wanted to share it with the group. I print it out on two blank 3" x 5" index cards, and then tape them back to back. I can keep a copy it in the car to check my memory.

On my cheat sheet, I expanded just learning the basic triads to learning the Maj7 notes. That way, if I want a 7th chord, I can just flat the seventh, and I already know the notes. For the modes, I shaded the notes to highlight the major and minor pentatonic scales.

Hello, great job, gotta love the circle of fifes.

david moon

Attempting the Blues

I like how by highliting the notes of the pentatonic scale, you also highlited the differences between the major and minor modes. Arguably, the 1s in the rightmost column should be green.

Your table "Maj7 notes" could continue all around the circle of 5ths with the first row continuing B F# C# G# D# A# and back to F(E#). But then you have the circle on the next page. If you're worried about finding the b7, it's always a whole step below the root.

The 9, 11, and 13 chords don't have to omit the 5.

MIght want to include the +7 rule- 9 is the same scale tone as 2, 11 is 4, 13 is 6.

kkann

Blues Newbie
Hi David,

Thanks a ton for your feedback! I've updated the PDF with all of your suggestions, except for including all of the Maj7 notes around the circle of 5ths. I was running short on space. I did highlight the #1 notes in the modes as green and even gave a little love to the Locrian scale. Thanks again!

Attachments

• Theory Cheat Sheet V1.pdf
    455.9 KB · Views: 28