The road less travelled

JeffWhiting

Blues Muggle
Hi, I have just signed up to get my Blues and lead playing up to scratch. Been playing acoustic and electric for 30 years, but never (actually hardly ever!) played lead lines. At 68 years old I have some time in retirement to sharpen up my playing with new skills. I am concerned about how fast I might need my fingers to work to achieve a good workable blues base knowledge. Don’t think I’ll ever manage shredding. My initial view of the course has brought up a need to review tab notation, especially timing marks as it has been many years since I looked at music notation. Any suggestions where to look would be appreciated. Currently living in Derbyshire with occasional visits to our house in Spain. Both houses have full guitar and amp rigs so I can carry on the blues sessions wherever we are... (much to the annoyance of the neighbours I suspect!)

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Sounds like you're across the pond from a lot of us. I'm sure the UK mob will be along directly to let you know who and where they are. Welcome to the forum, amigo! Take a look around and join in the fun.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I have been playing guitar for 68 years, which includes classical, flamenco, Latin, popular, country and western, and folk. I started playing acoustic Blues in 1960, at a serious level, thanks to a Air Force buddy, from Mississippi. Electric guitar became interesting to me around 20 years ago.

To be honest, I have no interest in listening to or playing anything that I do not like. Shredding to me is to be avoided! I just do not like it. If you like to give it a try, I would suggest you build up your speed one step at a time.

There are many approaches to building your Blues skill set. One is to play scales, another is to use the 5 major and 5 minor boxes. Still others are to use the BB King and Albert King boxes. Each approach, and others have great value.

Tab can be a great pain when it comes to things like "timing". Music notation is a bit more accurate for such things, but nothing beats "listening" to a good performance that you like and enjoy, and wish to emulate. Don't forget to record yourself from time to time to see how you sound.

There are about 50 different types of Blues, and I suggest you pick and choose what you like. First, if you have not done so already, you might consider Griff's Blues Guitar Unleashed, version 2. It is a great introduction into many different flavors of the Blues.

Tom - in San Jose, California

JeffWhiting

Blues Muggle
Thanks so much for the feedback. I am glad to say I have started on the track you mention in terms of the scales and getting involved with Griff’s Blues Guitar Unleased 2 course. I am sure speed and accuracy will increase as I work through the course. I guess my overall goal is the be able to play solo blues styles based around chords in a call and reply style. Also to be able to jam with others once this dreaded covid is out of the way. Warm regards Jeff

JeffWhiting

Blues Muggle
Sounds like you're across the pond from a lot of us. I'm sure the UK mob will be along directly to let you know who and where they are. Welcome to the forum, amigo! Take a look around and join in the fun.
You are right, I based in the UK, although I also have a place in Spain where I like to spend the winter.

artyman

Fareham UK
Hi Jeff and welcome from one of the UK mob, we usually have a UK get together in October each year though sadly not this year. They are a great bunch on here with plenty of advice and encouragement (usually to buy more guitars! ) Take a wander down to the basement and have a look in the Virtual Jam Room where a crowd of us hang out and test our skills as we develop. I can't think of anyone in Derbyshire at the moment but Brian Rumsey now resides in Malaga, he comes back for the UK meets.

Here's a link to some videos of the last BGU-UK meetup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFrxUKWg3hA&list=PLJYaeP3xMu4X-0cgcdlwz1SNUWcWhyIsH&index=1

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Welcome to the Clan Jeff, I'm glad you found us.
Echo, BGU 2.0 shouldn't be any problem for you and is a great place to start. Griff's the best.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Hey welcome Jeff ... try BB King Thrill is Gone just do some ( B minor pentatonic ) stuff in box 1 and let the magic hit you ... I overlooked that song for way too long starting out on guitar. That one you do not switch between minor and major pentatonic its a minor blues so it's minor blues all the way down the line.

Great people here enjoy!

I am going over to the UK some year for the annual BGU jam thing they do once this covid thing is over and I retire ( I'm 3 years behind you in age but closing in fast ).

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks so much for the feedback. I am glad to say I have started on the track you mention in terms of the scales and getting involved with Griff’s Blues Guitar Unleased 2 course. I am sure speed and accuracy will increase as I work through the course. I guess my overall goal is the be able to play solo blues styles based around chords in a call and reply style. Also to be able to jam with others once this dreaded covid is out of the way. Warm regards Jeff

There are two basic tracks that people follow. They are not mutually exclusive, but they take you on a different journey.
BGU 2 is focused on electric guitar & has more bending of strings and is more suitable to jamming in a band or to tracks (but you can learn a lot that can be useful on acoustic).
Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed is focused on Acoustic guitar & has little or no bending, but is more suitable to "Playing On The Porch" kind of blues (But you can learn a lot that can be applied to electric).

A great option is to join the All Access Pass (AAP). There you get streaming access to all Griff's courses, six live group sessions with Griff per month (worth the monthly or annual cost) for as long as you stay an AAP member plus after 60 days you get a "Golden Ticket" which can be used to buy permanent access to any course. Once you use your Golden Ticket, the next 60 day timer starts again towards your next free course.

artyman

Fareham UK
I am going over to the UK some year for the annual BGU jam thing they do once this covid thing is over and I retire ( I'm 3 years behind you in age but closing in fast ).
We shall look forward to welcoming you, and yes we'll all be glad when Covid gets finished and we can get back to normal. I can recommend retirement, though would probably suit a younger person :LOL:

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Welcome Jeff! Looks like you're on the right path regarding lead playing etc. BGU 2.0 is a perfect place to start. And quite a bit of it will help you with getting the timing aspect both of reading and internalizing it down (though I expect with the amount of rhythmic experience you have, you won't need much help). If you're an Annual Pass member, there is a new "course" available on keeping time that may be very beneficial. And of course there are several courses on different aspects of soloing as you progress.

Good luck... and I'm jealous!! Homes in England and Spain?!? And, full guitar rigs in each? Yeah, jealous!

Tangled_up_in_Blue

Blues Newbie
Hi Jeff
Welcome. I'm a noobie here too. Also bought BGU 2.0 and about 2 weeks into it. I'm really enjoying the course and so glad I found Griff's website; just what I was looking. I live in the UK also, down in the West Country. Enjoy.

JeffWhiting

Blues Muggle
There are two basic tracks that people follow. They are not mutually exclusive, but they take you on a different journey.
BGU 2 is focused on electric guitar & has more bending of strings and is more suitable to jamming in a band or to tracks (but you can learn a lot that can be useful on acoustic).
Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed is focused on Acoustic guitar & has little or no bending, but is more suitable to "Playing On The Porch" kind of blues (But you can learn a lot that can be applied to electric).

A great option is to join the All Access Pass (AAP). There you get streaming access to all Griff's courses, six live group sessions with Griff per month (worth the monthly or annual cost) for as long as you stay an AAP member plus after 60 days you get a "Golden Ticket" which can be used to buy permanent access to any course. Once you use your Golden Ticket, the next 60 day timer starts again towards your next free course.
Thank you for your comments. The all access pass sounds like the way forward.