The Major Minor Blues Shapes Course.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Oh, I'm starting to understand this a bit more, I thought AAP meant I had full rein, could also download, now I see I must "own". I'd say that the swinging blues backing track in G he uses in this Major & Minor Scales lesson is of a better quality than the free ones I find on YouTube (besides Quist) and am willing to pay if it's a 5+ minute tracks. Are there prices listed or tokens? Once again, the designer of this website does not make it easy for someone new to navigate to what they're looking for, in my case jam tracks in one place with buying information.

Where can I learn about this Golden Ticket? I'm in my 2nd month here and never heard of it.

I'm Ok with not having a "path", after going through the basics courses I now want to cherry pick individual lessons. With the pandemic lock down and being retired I can dedicate 3-5 hours a day, 7 days a week, taking these lessons. They are better than the Gold Standard site: TrueFire, because at that site I was done with the advanced beginner/low intermediate classes in 5 days and then it became session musicians teaching wannabe session musicians, very advanced. Griff is great, it's just the site layout is obtuse.

In sum, where is a total list of all the backing tracks on one page, in various keys, at longer lengths, I can purchase after listening to an excerpt ala the Apple iTunes Store, and download?

Thanks,

Ned

P.S. I am having a breakthrough moment with Major & Minor Scales. This is exactly the class I have been looking for quite awhile on other sites, but Griff explained the mixing with the 1,4,5s very well, I am an online paying alumni of: TrueFire, JamPlay, Fender, GuitarJamz, GuitarTricks, ActiveMelody, Tony's Acoustic Challenge and Old Town School of Folk Music and dozens of YT freebies. Soon I must decide if it makes more sense to do another month or become an annual member. I need the site layout to be easier for me to navigate and I appreciate you helping me.

2020-08-26_11-48-27.png

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
You get them sixty days after you get the AAP, and every 60 days after you use one. The golden ticket allows you to "buy" the digital version of almost all of Griff's courses. Thus giving you the ability to download them.

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
Thanks ZzzenDog, I'll look into it when it's given to me.

Thanks Paleo for pointing me to the jam tracks page. You're right, I would have downloaded all the jam tracks in my first month and I have done that before on other sites.

Griff's tracks are of a higher quality but I have some problems. First, I don't want to be shoe horned into buying a bunch of tracks and only wanting a few, such as keys or styles I don't want. I just retired from 41 years in the TV, film/video business and that was the old model: We would have to buy CDs of stock music and unfortunately end up liking only a few tracks. Then the stock music biz evolved to buying individual tracks one can download and that's what I am now used to, especially with the guitar I prefer keys E & A, sometimes B (those are the boxes I'm good with), and I like certain styles like Chicago style shuffles, BB, Clapton, some swing, slow and medium-ish. I won't use the tab.

I think he's sitting on a gold mine and if the whole jam tracks sales was overhauled into single track purchases (and advertised well), on it's own page, search by style, key, tempo, etc., buyers like me would be very happy and he would make a lot of money. A good teacher may say that us students should know all keys, tempos and styles but I'm just a hobbyist. 2 beers and I sound good!

Best,

Ned

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
When the time comes, you click on the ticket and you'll get a list of everything that's available to you. :)

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
I have two questions regarding this course. I started it twice but dropped out when it became way too much for me to try to memorize all these major boxes. Ain't no way.

So what I would like to know is:

1) If I can memorize Box 1's major scale, I think I can do that, I can use that scale over the one chord and then use the minor pentatonic scale for the 4 & 5 chords, correct?

2) Using this major scale over the first chord sounds good if the backing track is minor, correct?

Thanks,

Ned

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
...dropped out when it became way too much for me to try to memorize all these major boxes. Ain't no way.

There aren't any new boxes to learn.

Major Boxes are the same as minor boxes, just with a different note in the box as the root.

If you know the 5 minor boxes you also know the 5 Major boxes.

In other words, there are 5 Boxes. They are neither Major nor minor until you designate a root note in the box.

#1) Yes, when playing over Dominant 7 chords.

You have the option of Major or minor over the I chord, but minor only over the IV & V.

However, if you use Box 1 to play Major you have to change position.

In the course, Griff will stay in position by using Box 2 to play Major and Box 1 to play minor.

#2) No. Major ain't gonna sound good over minor chords. Play minor pentatonic throughout for a minor blues. :)

Last edited: