The Major Minor Blues Shapes Course.

RobertOrdish

Blues Newbie
I am interested in purchasing the Major Minor Blues Shape Course. I'm wondering, does it include studies of the Minor Blues Scale with the b5th and the Major Blues Scale with the b3rd? Thanks. Rob.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Griff will provide you with a solo example in each of the 5 "sections" of the neck. Each one combines the Major and minor blues scale/sound in that area.

Yes, including the Major and minor blue notes.

First he will demonstrate playing the Major and minor "Boxes" in that area and then play up and down each scale from each root note within that area. All solos are done in "G".

The main focus is in playing these scales up and down from the root notes (pivot points), rather than from the lowest note in the Box.

For example:

He'll start with G minor Box 1 and G Major Box 2. There is a G root note on the 6th, 4th and 1st strings.

First he'll play up and down each Box from the low G.

Then each blues scale from each of the 3 G's in that area.

Then he will demonstrate a solo example combining the Major and minor blues sounds in that area, explaining what is happening along the way.

He will repeat the process for each of the other 4 sections/areas.

You will learn the "Boxes", if you are not already familiar with them, how to play each scale from each root note within each box and how to combine the Major and minor blues sounds in a solo in each of the 5 areas.

That's quite a lot for one relatively "small" course.:sneaky:

Last edited:

RobertOrdish

Blues Newbie
Griff will provide you with a solo example in each of the 5 "sections" of the neck. Each one combines the Major and minor blues scale/sound in that area.

First he will demonstrate playing the Major and minor "Boxes" in that area and then play up and down each scale from each root note within that area. All solos are done in "G".

The main focus is in playing these scales up and down from the root notes (pivot points), rather than from the lowest note in the Box.

For example:

He'll start with G minor Box 1 and G Major Box 2. There is a G root note on the 6th, 4th and 1st strings.

Then he will demonstrate a solo example combining the Major and minor blues sounds, explaining what is happening along the way.

You will learn the Boxes, if you are not already familiar with them, how to play each scale from each root note within each box and how to combine the Major and minor blues sounds in a solo.

That's quite a lot for one relatively short course.:sneaky:
Thanks Paleo. Appreciate the info.

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie

For example:

Then he will demonstrate a solo example combining the Major and minor blues sounds in that area, explaining what is happening along the way.

He will repeat the process for each of the other 4 sections/areas.

You will learn the "Boxes", if you are not already familiar with them, how to play each scale from each root note within each box and how to combine the Major and minor blues sounds in a solo in each of the 5 areas.

That's quite a lot for one relatively "small" course.:sneaky:
Hi Paleo,

I have a similar question with a twist: You say that Griff demos in G. I prefer playing in A. So, can I use what he teaches in G and just move it up 2 frets? I realize the names for individual notes will not be the same but will the 5ths, 7ths and root notes be the same?

Thanks,

Ned

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Just jumping in here... most licks / solos can be transposed in the way you described, aside from any open string licks that might need modification. That's a general comment. I have the course, but haven't dived into it yet.

Jay Dee

Blues addicted
I play mostly acoustic and focus mainly in A . For me being in the middle of the neck is easier to reach all 5 boxes. I transpose the tab of every lick and writing everything down helps to learn as well.

Last edited:

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
I have question. I decided to hone in on the Key of A for blues because when I picked up the guitar 2 years ago after a 50 year hiatus, I did some research and Googled: "Which key are most blues backing tracks in" (or something like that) and the results seemed to be A. That's why I have such a nice library of Key of A blues tracks. Although I can play in other keys I am now dependent on my dots, very fast in A, so doing other keys slows me down, I make more mistakes. I can play with my eyes closed in A but can transition to G for the sake of learning here.

I can easily play in G and download more backing tracks in G. Does A sound more bluesy than G or was Google wrong about which key has the most tracks? I like Chicago style shuffles, BB. It would be easier to transition to using G if Griff teaches ALL his courses in G.

Thanks,

Ned

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Does A sound more bluesy or was Google wrong about which key has the most tracks? I like Chicago style shuffles, BB. It would be easier to transition to using G if Griff teaches ALL his courses in G.
Google was probably right about the number of tracks. There are an awful lot of them in A. Does it sound more bluesy? That's definitely a ymmv question. To me, E is the most bluesy sounding because that's what Pride and Joy is in (actually Eb, but tuned down) and that's the first blues song I remember hearing that made me sit up and pay attention to what was being played. I won't argue, however, that A is a convenient key with box 1 right there in the middle of the fretboard.

The blues comes in all kinds of keys. A and E are convenient and have some cool open position things you can do with them, but, if you go to a jam, the key often depends on what is comfortable for the singer. You may end up playing in A, E, D, Bb...whatever the singer decides to call.

As for Griff's courses, off the top of my head, I think a lot of BGU is A and E with some C and even Bm thrown in. SBS is in G. BSBB is in C. I could be wrong, but I don't think he has a favorite key to teach in. I think his goal is that we learn the fretboard so that we can play in whatever key is needed.

Music is meant to be enjoyed. I know some people that say they are compelled to play for others to share their music. Personally, I'm playing for me whether that's alone to a jam track in my music room or standing in front of a bar full of people at a jam. If the key of A is what does it for you and keeps you going, then play in A. I would, however, recommend that you play the lessons in the key that they're written. If you do, you might find that you notice the other keys falling into place so that you can play them as easily as you can A.

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
Thanks Paleo! If I may ask another question, how can I find the forum for the class I'm taking so I can post a question? For example, I'm presently doing Major Minor Blues Scales -» MMBS - Section 1, but I don't see anything in the forum for the page that's titled MY COURSES. The navigation of this site is very non-intuitive to the new user and I'm tech savvy.

There I am learning the solos to a swing in G and the only backing track for that class (it should be on that page!!) is not very long. Doesn't Griff have the whole song so we can have a rewarding experience playing a whole song to the backing track in that key?

Thanks,

Ned

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
how can I find the forum for the class I'm taking so I can post a question?

There isn't any section called "My Courses" on the forum.

You look for the name of the course, wherever it may be.

Go down to the section below "All Access Pass" titled "Smaller Courses".

Go down to "Everything Else".

"Major Minor Blues Shapes" is a newer course that doesn't have it's own heading.

Start a new thread.

You can click on "Prefix" and scroll to "Major Minor Blues Shapes". It will be at the beginning of the title or just type MMBS before the title.

The forum started with just the "Original" courses that got the big, blue "banner" across the page.

As newer, smaller courses were added they were put in "Smaller Courses".

When other even newer courses were added they went into "Everything Else"

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
There I am learning the solos to a swing in G and the only backing track for that class (it should be on that page!!) is not very long. Doesn't Griff have the whole song so we can have a rewarding experience playing a whole song to the backing track in that key?
All 5 solos in the course use the same 2 chorus backing track, since they are all in G, just played in different "sections" of the fretboard.

You'll find the backing track at the bottom of this list on the intro page for the course in "My Courses".

MMBS.jpg

You will find the audio tracks in a similar "jukebox" on the intro page for each course.

Last edited:

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
Thanks found them. But...it's disappointing that the backing tracks are just 59 seconds! Why is that? How can I jam with that? I love that swing in G. After learning those solos I want to play them to that track, slow and fast. Also, how do I download them? I often practice where there's no wifi, I have a MP3 player connected to a portable Sony speaker. All the competing guitar online courses have longer relevant jam traclks that are downloadable. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Ned

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Thanks found them. But...it's disappointing that the backing tracks are just 59 seconds! Why is that? How can I jam with that? I love that swing in G. After learning those solos I want to play them to that track, slow and fast. Also, how do I download them? I often practice where there's no wifi, I have a MP3 player connected to a portable Sony speaker. All the competing guitar online courses have longer relevant jam traclks that are downloadable. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Ned
You can't download if you don't own them, you can use your Golden tickets to purchase them, then download, as to the 59 second track you can always loop it, there should also be slow and fast play alongs at the bottom of each section

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member

Thanks,

Ned
If you need jam tracks, go to 5x5 jam tracks. The reason they are short in that course is because it's only one key. Go to the shuffle jam tracks in 5x5 and you'll have 5 keys.

With the AAP, everything is online access so there are no downloads except the manual. If you purchase a specific course, you own it forever and you have download access. When you get your first Golden Ticket, maybe use it on some Jam Tracks and you'll have them forever and can download them :)

artyman

Fareham UK
There are also hundreds of jam tracks on YouTube you could play along to if you want a longer track.

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
Oh, I'm starting to understand this a bit more, I thought AAP meant I had full rein, could also download, now I see I must "own". I'd say that the swinging blues backing track in G he uses in this Major & Minor Scales lesson is of a better quality than the free ones I find on YouTube (besides Quist) and am willing to pay if it's a 5+ minute tracks. Are there prices listed or tokens? Once again, the designer of this website does not make it easy for someone new to navigate to what they're looking for, in my case jam tracks in one place with buying information.

Where can I learn about this Golden Ticket? I'm in my 2nd month here and never heard of it.

I'm Ok with not having a "path", after going through the basics courses I now want to cherry pick individual lessons. With the pandemic lock down and being retired I can dedicate 3-5 hours a day, 7 days a week, taking these lessons. They are better than the Gold Standard site: TrueFire, because at that site I was done with the advanced beginner/low intermediate classes in 5 days and then it became session musicians teaching wannabe session musicians, very advanced. Griff is great, it's just the site layout is obtuse.

In sum, where is a total list of all the backing tracks on one page, in various keys, at longer lengths, I can purchase after listening to an excerpt ala the Apple iTunes Store, and download?

Thanks,

Ned

P.S. I am having a breakthrough moment with Major & Minor Scales. This is exactly the class I have been looking for quite awhile on other sites, but Griff explained the mixing with the 1,4,5s very well, I am an online paying alumni of: TrueFire, JamPlay, Fender, GuitarJamz, GuitarTricks, ActiveMelody, Tony's Acoustic Challenge and Old Town School of Folk Music and dozens of YT freebies. Soon I must decide if it makes more sense to do another month or become an annual member. I need the site layout to be easier for me to navigate and I appreciate you helping me.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
For info on Griff's Jam Tracks (and all courses) go to the course catalog.

https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/course-catalog/#jamtracks

Also, imagine if you will, that Griff allowed you to download everything.

You could pay for one month and download every course over that month.

You would have Griff's complete catalog of courses for the cost of one month AAP membership.

He would go out of business. :eek:

Your first Golden Ticket will show up below the list of courses on the "My Courses" page after 60 days of membership.

Glad the Major/Minor course is making sense.:)

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hi Paleo,

I have a similar question with a twist: You say that Griff demos in G. I prefer playing in A. So, can I use what he teaches in G and just move it up 2 frets? I realize the names for individual notes will not be the same but will the 5ths, 7ths and root notes be the same?

Thanks,

Ned

Yes! !YOU absolutely can! That's the beauty of it all. Learn something ONCE and you can play it in ANY key just by moving it up or down the fretboard.