The firehose!

DavidLylis

Aspiring Bluesman
I have not posted in quite a while, and honestly it is a compliment to Griff. After signing up I quickly felt as though I was drinking from a fire hose. There is SO much good stuff and so much stuff I want to learn, I quickly became distracted and unfocused. The good news is that my playing has improved dramatically (technically) but I found myself skipping around so much that I found myself less and less able to put stuff together into "music". I had an epiphany. I listened to a bunch of Dwayne Allman and even Clapton and Chuck Berry and came to a realization that (not sure where I heard this) "less is more". Some of the best stuff these guys do is well executed basic blues and even "cliche" (if you will) blues licks that sound outstanding. I backed up the bus and focused on "Wee Wee Hours" a nice slow blues that I am now putting together into some real music. My main problem with the guitar is that I am an older guy and have limitations with my left hand (not to mention my brain). I am overcoming the issues and have established a new rule for myself. I am not going to be SRV, for two reasons: I cannot play fast, and I look really stupid in a cowboy hat with a plume.
I hope this helps others

Doodlebug

Blues Newbie
I like your philosophy and agree it’s too easy to get lost. I’ve been playing the 4 note solo over and over just to get back to basics and I believe it’s working, just getting my mind around some off my own riffs feels good.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Playing musical instruments has been a great source of pleasure for me, and I have been doing it for over 72 years. I like the concept of "Being Your Own Teacher". Even world famous musicians (often classical) have mentors. Your job is to define what you want to do with your instrument, and how to get from here to there. DVD's, YouTube and many on line sources have good guitar instructions.

Your chance of finding a "good guitar teacher", may not be that good. But if you focus on attainable goals, you will enjoy yourself, by using the suggested resources above. There is nothing wrong with taking something from here or there and using what works for you. Start slow, and build. Ask questions and record yourself. Date the recordings so you know how you are doing with time.

Griff has many courses and I think I must have about 90% of them. Whatever the source, I like to pick and choose what I want to learn or play. I also like to write my own arrangements of any piece of music I play.

If you play acoustic guitar, you do not need backing tracks. If you play electric guitar, find some good backing tracks. Choose one type of Blues, say the Shuffle. Start slow, and work your way up in speed and complexity. Keep a list of what you are playing. Most of all, "HAVE FUN"! :):cool:

Tom