The Blues in Spain

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
A few years ago I gave a performance in San Jose, California, at Le Petit Trianon. It was a night of flamenco and I played a Farruca. In the audience was a well known flamenco dancer from Spain, named Concha Vargas. By coincidence, she was sitting next to my wife, son and daughter. After my performance, Concha invited us to a flamenco party given the next day, near the University of Santa Clara.

There were many people connected to flamenco at the party. A young man began playing a Bulerias, in the style of Diego del Gastor. I love Diego and he was one of my teachers. There was another young man sitting next to me. It turned out that these two young men were Concha's sons.

I asked the young man next to me if Diego del Gastor's style was still popular in Spain (he passed away in 1973) and he said, “No. My brother plays that style because she was a good friend of Diego's”. I then asked him if he played guitar, and he said, “Yes. I play The Blues”!

It turns out that The Blues has a popular following in Spain. Something we can all enjoy is music regardless of where we are from.

Tom

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Nice playing Tom. In the early '80's, I was seriously involved in learning classical guitar, though I wasn't close to your level. My teacher was a graduate student of Celin Romero, who attended a couple of Master's classes I participated in. Then I had a harder and harder time staying comitted. Then my guitar ended up in the closet with my strat. I struggled mentally 5 years ago as to whether I should again pursue classical or begin to play blues guitar of which I knew nothing, but had this burning desire to learn. They are such diverse styles that I didn't believe I could or should pursue both. I obviously took the blues route and am happy for it. But, I think fondly of those classical days and even get the guitar out at times and play some of the studies by Carcassi or Giuliani, etc...
Thanks again for posting your performance.

Last edited:

Fingerlick

The Thrill is Gone
Appreciate your contribution Tom. We all need exposure to different genres and perhaps will be persuaded to give it try.
Thanks.
Dale

Olivia

the lady sings the blues
Thank you for that Tom (Silicon Valley) it is so nice!
(and as for the skills involved... no comment)
Much appreciated :)

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Aren't the Blues in Spain played mainly on the plain? I think I've got it.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

LosBassMan

"Bottom Feeding since 1996"
Very nice Tom, the blues are very big all over Europe. I have cousins in Spain that have a blues/jazz band and they are always booked.

Carlos