the BB Blues

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Question for those that have worked through all or part of HTSLBB and also all or part of the BB Lab earlier this year. Or maybe even for @Griff if he sees it. I've talked about dipping my toe into learning some BB for a while and finally going to do it. I'm sure the course is more complete than the Lab, but would one be better to start with over the other? I started the Lab back when it was going on and learned a couple of licks (oddly enough the only one I remember is #10). Also, with the timing of the two, it kind of makes me think that the Lab turned into the course or maybe the Lab was because Griff was working on the course. So do the licks in the lab make it into the course or are the two unique in what they offer?

Pros/cons? Which one would y'all start with?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
As with most things the course will be a deeper dive into Soloing Like BB.
If I remember correctly the solos are all different. It's been a while since the lab, so don't hold me to that.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Snarf, I found the BB Lab by Griff to be a great starting point. Since taking the lab, in which we were asked to put a BB solo
together, I have memorized the licks and have been trying to incorporate them into my playing at various points in the
12 bar where they sound the best as recommended by Griff. I also own the BB Course and continue to add licks from the course. I have also become fully immersed in BB's music, which adds a context to many of the licks. My overall goal is to attempt to be able improvise in BB's style. Not easy, but it is fun. 25 years ago I saw BB in concert and didn't care for his music. Now I can't get enough of him Go figure! Good luck.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
There are other places where we can see examples from Griff, of BB Kings work:

1. BLUES SOLO CONSTRUCTION KIT: Shuffle Feel

2. BLUES SOLO CONSTRUCTION KIT: Slow Blues Feel

3. 5 Easy Blues Solos

Personally, I have enjoyed BB Kings approach to the Blues, since I was a kid. It sounds nice! Perhaps that is why he is my favorite Blues guitarist. :):cool:

Tom

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
The LAB had some licks that were easier, and some that were more difficult... I tried to make it accessible to all.

For the BB course, no punches were pulled and the licks are right off the record. Some of them are still easy, but some are very much not.

If you just want to dip your toe in, start with the LAB. If you want more, go through the course.

TerryH

Blues Newbie
I know this isn’t an answer to your original question, but I have found the course to be immensely worthwhile. It’s made me think in a completely different way about my playing - not just about obvious stuff like different scales but really focusing on things like phrasing. Definitely more than the sum of its parts.