Texas Blues Alley vs Jamie Harrison

Scotty R

Blues Newbie
I'm a solid Griff supporter since 2102 and I don't see that changing...
With that said, I'm keen to focus more on SRV / Hendrix songs, styles, etc.

From research it seems these two guys (1) Anthony Stauffer (via Texas Blues Alley) and (2) Jamie Harrison are two that focus on, and teach this the most.

Any opinions from the community on who's better? Or your experiences with either?
I'd love to hear... Thx.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I can't really comment on Jamie Harrison but I have purchased materials from TXBA before. I really like Anthony's approach and how he combines it with some fairly cool technology he has developed for using his materials online. His player has some really nice features for viewing the tablature and notation interactively, along with speed control and looping. For some of the lesson videos, you can save those settings so that you can easily get back to where you were at during your last practice session.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm a solid Griff supporter since 2102 and I don't see that changing...
With that said, I'm keen to focus more on SRV / Hendrix songs, styles, etc.

From research it seems these two guys (1) Anthony Stauffer (via Texas Blues Alley) and (2) Jamie Harrison are two that focus on, and teach this the most.

Any opinions from the community on who's better? Or your experiences with either?
I'd love to hear... Thx.
Never heard of Jamie, but Anthony is really good. As another option: I've worked locally with a guy by the name of Tommy Katona. He is the "Stevie" in an SRV Tribute band called Texas Flood. He does Skype sessions for remote learning. He's a great guy, nails SRV licks & tone and will teach you EXACTLY what Stevie plays. He's not great at lesson plans, so you have to know what you want to learn at each session, but with what he has taught me, the only thing holding me back is my speed.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I have some of Jamie's stuff, and I've looked at a little of Anthony's, don't think you'd go wrong with either, Jamie is a little more laid back

Scotty R

Blues Newbie
Thanks for the input guys....
I've tinkered with Anthony's stuff, and think it's pretty good. I tried his speed builders course(s) which is all SRV licks and it was pretty awesome. Not sure why he's stopped with the Free Lesson Fridays, but similar to Griff he's more focused on his all access pass community and building that.

I'm curious about Jamie and hope to learn more about his approach. I would say based on pure marketing, he's doing a very good job with his site and his YouTube videos.

For @PapaBear - what do you mean by Laid Back?

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Thanks for the input guys....
I've tinkered with Anthony's stuff, and think it's pretty good. I tried his speed builders course(s) which is all SRV licks and it was pretty awesome. Not sure why he's stopped with the Free Lesson Fridays, but similar to Griff he's more focused on his all access pass community and building that.

I'm curious about Jamie and hope to learn more about his approach. I would say based on pure marketing, he's doing a very good job with his site and his YouTube videos.

For @PapaBear - what do you mean by Laid Back?
He's just a laid back guy, takes his time going over the licks, and it's all in the Hendrix style and artist who play in that style including SRV and John Mayer

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I have Jamie Harrison's material.

It is primarily song based rather than, "In the style of...". IMHO he does a great job teaching the material and offers a complete package of goods.

If you would like to learn the songs covered by his courses, I would recommend it highly.