Tech 21

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
I know there have been posts about the Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 but I couldn’t find any. I’m looking at one on my local Craigslist. It is a version 2 and they’re asking $200. I try to keep a fairly simple pedalboard with my go-to BD2, Soul Food, Cry Baby and another OD set for higher gain. Lately this spot rotates between a Boss SD1 and a Red Llama. As I understand it the Fly Rig is mainly meant to run directly into a PA, “Sans Amp” but is it useful as a sort of multi effect unit or another drive pedal? This is a V2.

Thanks Bernie

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Based on what you already have, unless you want add a reverb and/or delay, I would pass. I received one as a Christmas present. I spent about 3 hours with it and it is now safely tucked back in the tin box it came in. I like it, but until jams start opening up, it won't see much (if any use) around home. Admittedly, I'm not a pedal guy and not an expert. @cowboy has one and I believe he likes it.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
@burlew also has one and has brought it to BGU Live events and other jams for use as a multi-effects pedal. It sounds great and obviously is very portable when flying. I may be wrong, but I don't believe he uses it in his band though.

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
Thanks. I think I might let it go. We probably won't be playing out until we can play outdoors again. Most places we play at don't have a front-of house type PA we usually have to bring our own and I'm not sure a Fly Rig would sound so great through that.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I have the Fly Rig 5 first version...did a review...nice amp sim with verb, delay, OD and boost...

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/index.php?media/flyrig-demo-by-cowboy-youtube.21/

sweet little mini board...great for jams...I can pack mine in my gig bag...if I were gigging, I'd probably use my Headrush or one of my pedal boards but the FR5 always travels with me in my RV...Mooer Red Truck with put you in the same ballpark...later.

cowboy

Bernie...I've run it through my Tech 21 TM60, Fender BF's and Naces...it worked great...no concerns about putting in in front of a amp...

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
Bernie, your current description of your rig doesn't show any delay or reverb and you don't mention anything about needing either, so half the FR would be a waste. The OD/Boost of the FR might be OK but based on what you have, I highly doubt it would be better or more versatile than what you already have. Board space would be roughly the same. I don't see any upside to it....but that's just me.