Tears Rollin Down

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
But you're not removing the clipping, just the red lines.  The signal was already clipped when you recorded it.

The reason to turn up the master is to compensate for turning down the Volume, and still have the same sound out of the speaker.

If it is only clipping on the bassier notes then a slight adjustment will fix it.  You could do the same thing by turning down the guitar a tad or one of the boost pedals amplitudes.

Try it.  You may like the way it sounds unclipped?

But to each his own I guess?

[glow=yellow,2,300]There is something a little weird about worrying about accidental distortion in a signal which has several types of distortion added to it on purpose.[/glow]
My sentiments exactly.

If I turn down the volume and turn up the master, no, I don't have the same sound coming out of the speaker.  I've lost my overdrive.  It's a completely different sound.

Doing any of the things you suggest means changing my tone.  I'm not interested in changing my tone ... just getting it recorded.  Audacity is pretty rudimentary and suits our purposes here just fine in my book.  Most of the stuff I play, if the red lines weren't there you wouldn't know it was being clipped anyway, 'cause I'm almost always using distortion.  If I wanted to make a pristine recording I would break out my way more complicated to use Tascam DP006 which has very effective input gain/volume control.  But for the VJR why bother?  Even if I'm the first player and lay down a pristine, clip-free track, the next bozo is likely to pick that up in Audacity and splatter it with clipping all over the place anyway.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
My sentiments exactly.

If I turn down the volume and turn up the master, no, I don't have the same sound coming out of the speaker.  I've lost my overdrive.  It's a completely different sound.

Doing any of the things you suggest means changing my tone.  I'm not interested in changing my tone ... just getting it recorded.  Audacity is pretty rudimentary and suits our purposes here just fine it in my book.  Most of the stuff I play, if the red lines weren't there you wouldn't know it was being clipped anyway, 'cause I'm almost always using distortion.  If I wanted to make a pristine recording I would break out my way more complicated to use Tascam DP006 which has very effective input gain/volume control.  But for the VJR why bother?  Even if I'm the first player and lay down a pristine, clip-free track,[glow=yellow,2,300] the[/glow] [glow=yellow,2,300]next bozo is likely to pick that up in Audacity and splatter it with [/glow][glow=yellow,2,300]clipping all over the place anyway[/glow].

Someone's talkin' smack 'bout me again!  [smiley=angry.gif]

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
My sentiments exactly.

Doing any of the things you suggest means changing my tone.  I'm not interested in changing my tone ... just getting it recorded.  Audacity is pretty rudimentary and suits our purposes here just fine it in my book.  Most of the stuff I play, if the red lines weren't there you wouldn't know it was being clipped anyway, 'cause I'm almost always using distortion.  If I wanted to make a pristine recording I would break out my way more complicated to use Tascam DP006 which has very effective input gain/volume control.  But for the VJR why bother?  Even if I'm the first player and lay down a pristine, clip-free track,[glow=yellow,2,300] the[/glow] [glow=yellow,2,300]next bozo is likely to pick that up in Audacity and splatter it with [/glow][glow=yellow,2,300]clipping all over the place anyway[/glow].

Someone's talkin' smack 'bout me again!  [smiley=angry.gif]
;D ;D ;D  Sorry Marv.  I'm as guilty as the next guy.

Hey, I sent this sound clip to everyone in my family, to explain how fun the VJR is and how people from all over the world can jam together on the same track, etc. etc.  They all responded with how amazing that is, how good everybody sounded, etc.  Not one "Oh, the clipping is making my teeth grate" comment. 

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
HEY! I FIGURED IT OUT!!!
First, plug your Mustang USB into your computer and turn both on.
Next, go to your PC's CONTROL PANEL and select SOUND.
In the resulting window, you will see several tabs ... playback, recording, sounds & communications.  CLICK ON THE RECORDING tab.
You will see Internal Aux Jack for Mustang Amplifier listed there.  Double-click on that.
In the resulting window you will see several tabs ... general, listen, levels & advanced.  Click on the levels tab.
Voila!  There is a main volume slider!  Adjust it to your heart's content.

HEY! I FIGURED IT OUT!!!
In the resulting window, you will see several tabs ... playback, recording, sounds & communications.  CLICK ON THE RECORDING tab.
You will see Internal Aux Jack for Mustang Amplifier listed there.  Double-click on that.
In the resulting window you will see several tabs ... general, listen, levels & advanced.  Click on the levels tab.

Excellent investigative troubleshooting.  I look forward to listening to your non-clipped tracks. So I can hear what you hear coming out of your amp.  :cool:

vashondan

Blues Doobie
HEY! I FIGURED IT OUT!!!

Good work Jim.  Thanks for doing the research for the band. 

ghack

Blues Newbie
you may be able to access your mixer if you right click on your speaker icon in the taskbar lower right corner.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
when you right click on it a list opens that lists other things and recording devices.
Hot dang!  You're right!  If the Mustang is turned on and plugged into the USB, it shows up there in Recording Devices, and if you double-click on it, you get the same windows to play with as you do via the SOUND options in your control panel.  Great!