SWS Lesson 6 Challange

wgabree

Blues Newbie
So we start off in C & finish on F is there any reason it is in this order ? I mean couldn't just simply follow the alpabet  order , hmm ?

LP

The order is the circle of 5ths - so you are indirectly learning another very important thing!  :cool:

If it was done alphabetically, it would be too easy - it's no trick to know where D is when you just found all the Cs! ;)

L

Lame_Pinkey

ah yes the mysterious circle of 5ths - I seen a picture of that once - just once mind you !

LP

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Yes, I think there is a reason.

If you follow the alphabet, your brain will not work as hard and you likely will not retain it.  By making it more random you will find and retain those unique spots and relationships better, I think.  Most of us can already do that alphabet thing by counting up from a know note, but by being more random, perhaps it is faster to count down a note or two.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
LP, Griff explains that in the lesson (in the text or DVD???). He wants to avoid you learning in that order because it leads to remembering where B is, but only in relation to A instead of just where B is (fewer mental steps). I think that's why he doesn't emphasize the Two  Frets up Two Strings down method of finding octaves. You're better off not having to make that extra mental step.

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Week 1 check-in.  Got C's, G's, D's & A's(ok still fumbling a bit when I get to the A's).

henryj

Blues Newbie
I had C, G, and D down pretty well and then lost a week of practice trying to get a new kitchens floor down before I leave the country next week.  Picked up my fiddle last night and tried to run those notes. 
:'(
It seems they have all been jettisoned from my ram.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
I had C, G, and D down pretty well and then lost a week of practice trying to get a new kitchens floor down before I leave the country next week.  Picked up my fiddle last night and tried to run those notes. 
:'(
It seems they have all been jettisoned from my ram.
what i'm finding is that you have to USE the note names as you practice, or the work you've done to memorize them will be in vain - if you don't use it, you loose it!

so i'm developing the habit of thinking the note names as i play and practice

M

MandyC

I'm trying to visualise the fretboard from time to time and where the notes are. Trouble is, I'm generally driving at the time so could be dangerous.
Not sure 'sorry officer. I was memorising my fretboard' would go down too well with the cops if I got pulled over.
As for thinking the note names when you practice; I'll give it a go but at the moment I have enough trouble playing them ;D
Could probably manage the 4-note solos just about

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I have C, G, and D down so far.  The only thing I'm concerned about is that up until now I have been starting with the 6th string and working my way to the 1st and then going backwards.  I should probably mix it up a little bit just to be sure that I really know where the notes are.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
I have C, G, and D down so far.  The only thing I'm concerned about is that up until now I have been starting with the 6th string and working my way to the 1st and then going backwards.  I should probably mix it up a little bit just to be sure that I really know where the notes are.
yup - anything that gets you there!

i've been taking each string and metally naming the natural notes up and down the strings - especially the D, G & B strings - I've got the E & A strings down cold

L

Lame_Pinkey

err I forgot again - what are we supposed to be doing ?

LP

Spencer

Blues Newbie
I'm in too. I'm on day three. Have the C's (as of right now) and working on the G's. There are some good tips on this thread. Thanks.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Six weeks since starting this challenge and I'm quite pleased with how quickly I can now identify the notes on the fretboard.

I have added translating the tab I read into the note names and also scale degree (1 2 3 4 5, etc).  I'm also thinking of the boxes in terms of note names and scale degrees, e.g. Box 1 = 1, 3b, 4, 5, 7b, 1, 3b, 4, 5, 7b, 1, 3b

and in terms of the BB boxes

BB1 = 7b, 1, 3b, 4
BB2 = 5, 7b, 1, 3b
BB3 = 1, 2, 3, 5, 6

How is this helpful?  Well I now can hit a classic Albert King lick in any key because I know the scale degrees:

5 3b 1

for BB1, that the top note of the box (4) bent up a whole step (5), followed by the next 2 notes down in the box, 3b & 1.

Bottom line is that this is leading to greater mastery of the fretboard.   :cool: