SWS Lesson 6 Challange

ndjordjevic

Blues Newbie
Based on those two rules I don't have a problem to find any note on the fretboard but I would like when I close my eyes to pick a note on any fret and any random string to able able to name the note right away. Not to do the calculation. That will come probably with a practice and it's gonna take some time and milage.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Nenad, I think (haven't proved it yet) that you using the rules, you will eventually get there. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Just got SWS yesterday.  Not ready to start the lessons yet as I'm trying to concentrate on BGU solo 4.  But I've been procrastinating for years about learning the notes up & down the fretboard, so count me in, starting today.  We all learn in different ways.  For me, personally, these challenges have been a great motivational tool.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
As usual...late to the party.  I'm in.  Starting with C today.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
I've hit my two weeks - the challenge of this one is to remember everyday to do it.  I have lapsed a number of days

I am therefore continuing the challenge for myself until I have completed the lesson as outlined.

I'm up to A.   :cool:

560sdl

Blues Newbie
I am working in it, but it is going slower as I had a few days where I could not play.  I am still on G but pleased to be working on something that I know will benefit my playing forever.

snarf

the challenge of this one is to remember everyday to do it. 
You speak truth, my friend!  I got C and G done last week, and went all weekend without even picking up a guitar I think.  Hopefully when I get home tonight I'll be able to sit down and spend some time reviewing then on to the next one.

M

MandyC

Started yesterday on the C's
Won't pick up the guitar until later but I think I can remember them all.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
BTW, I believe mentally finding the notes on the strings counts as practice (it's actually a little trickier, because you have to maintain a mental image of the fretboard & strings) - and you can do it whenever you remember.   :cool:

If it gets you to the goal of knowing where all the notes are, then it works! :p

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Would anyone consider this ear training as well?  By the by... just learning the C's.

Not really ear training - unless you tried to hum the C's before you played them to see if you remembered the pitch.

M

MandyC

I had to wait for my daughter at her riding lesson today so I drew a picture of the fretboard and all the notes.
How sad is that!!!??? ::)

snarf

I had to wait for my daughter at her riding lesson today so I drew a picture of the fretboard and all the notes.
How sad is that!!!??? ::)
So the question is this:

Did you draw the fretboard and then fill in all the C's followed by the G's, etc?  Or did you draw the fretboard and start on the 1st string and fill in E, F, F#, etc?  If you did it the second way then you cheated.   ;)

M

MandyC

I cheated!!! ;)
Actually, I did put the all the C's in first 'cause I can remember those.
Then I doodled a picture of a guitar.
You can tell I was bored.
I've been doing the G's tonight

snarf

I cheated!!! ;)
It's all good!  You're more industrious than I.  I would have just sat there and listened to the radio.   :cool:

Tonight when I get home I need to sit down and review the C's and G's and then, hopefully, move on to the D's.

M

MandyC

I cheated!!! ;)
It's all good!  You're more industrious than I.  I would have just sat there and listened to the radio.   :cool:

Tonight when I get home I need to sit down and review the C's and G's and then, hopefully, move on to the D's.
I was listening to the radio as well. There was an interview with Jackson Browne. Multi-tasking you see!!

L

Lame_Pinkey

So we start off in C & finish on F is there any reason it is in this order ? I mean couldn't just simply follow the alpabet  order , hmm ?

LP