SWS Lesson 6 Challange

ndjordjevic

Blues Newbie
One other thing I've noticed is that when I play the notes in a order Griff suggested which is from 6. to the 1. string and back I don't have a problem to easily find the notes. But when I'm looking for a notes in a random string order I got confused. Let say I working on a C and want to play it on a 2 then 4 then 3 then 6 sting etc. Anyone have tried that?

560sdl

Blues Newbie
I think that will come with the time of having guitar in hand.  When I was learning the basic scales there was no way I could start in the middle and figure out where I was.  Now I can sort of do that.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Nenad, I'm in the same situation. I can play the notes but have a hard time jumping in mid way. I also find them easier going from low to hi (in tone), than the other way around. As 560 said, I'm sure it's just a matter of time and practice.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Nenad, I'm in the same situation. I can play the notes but have a hard time jumping in mid way. I also find them easier going from low to hi (in tone), than the other way around. As 560 said, I'm sure it's just a matter of time and practice.

Just come up with a new pattern. Instead of doing strings 6 to 1 and then back, do odd numbered strings and then even numbered strings. Or go from outside (6 and 1) to inside.

The more patterns you can do with this, the better you'll know the notes. And did I mention this is about the 2nd most important thing ever? Keep with it!

Griff

henryj

Blues Newbie
Anyone else notice the pattern never changes. It just slides off the 12th fret and comes back around on the 1st fret.  Or the other way around depending on which way you are moving. 

I'm working on this exercise but its going slow.  Memorization has always been a problem for me. 

That one of the reasons I like these courses.  Griff lays it out so even I can remember it.

BignJames

Blues Newbie

Just come up with a new pattern. Instead of doing strings 6 to 1 and then back, do odd numbered strings and then even numbered strings. Or go from outside (6 and 1) to inside.

The more patterns you can do with this, the better you'll know the notes. And did I mention this is about the 2nd most important thing ever? Keep with it!

Griff

Ok....other than having a guitar...what's 1st?

Griff

Staff member

Griff

I was waiting for someone to pick that up... the 1st most important thing is timing - not the notes. I've got a plan for some new lessons along those lines that will do good for everyone.

Griff

BignJames

Blues Newbie

Griff

I was waiting for someone to pick that up... the 1st most important thing is timing - not the notes. I've got a plan for some new lessons along those lines that will do good for everyone.

Griff

I believe you Griff....when I first started BGU my timing was awful...and I didn't realize how bad it was until I recorded myself...blech.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Griff, I will be one of the first in line for your timing course. I think I have pretty fair internal sense of timing, but I simply can't get the counting thing down. Anything that will help me improve in that will be VERY welcome.

L

Lame_Pinky

I'm obviously not getting this while watching the football yesterday I thought I'd give it a go.So starting with C I believe it is on the 6th string down to the 1st string - ok that killed half a commercial so onto G then  D , A etc etc 6th to 1st & back & didn't even miss one bit of action from the football.So am I missing something here or is that it ?
I didn't do it to 60 bpm as I don't have a metronome I can't even stand clocks that tick too loud even once tossed a watch away because it ticked too loudly !

LP

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Lp, I envy you if you are getting it that fast. If you can now just look at the neck and "See" where all those notes are (without playing them in sequence) then you are getting exactly what you are supposed to out of the lesson. Remember, it's not just playing them in sequence that you need to take away. You are trying to be able to jump to any given note anywhere on the neck. (I'm having a devil of a time remembering where they are).

wgabree

Blues Newbie
This is my first week half-way check in.

I'm up to D using Griff's method.  Griff is spot on with the fret counting and pattern stuff - by the time you get that in "execution buffer"*, the second is up!

I'm supplementing his method with simply playing and naming all the natural notes on each string, up and down from open to 12th fret.

So far so good.  I just want to know them cold - no calculations or math involved!  :cool:

*execution buffer is computer speak for the place computer instructions get placed for the CPU to process

L

Lame_Pinky

Mike you may remmeber I posted a " LP's guide to finding the note " in BBG section a few months back ( shoulda been stickied I thought  ;)) which I came up with to help me get to know the notes again.After more than 20 yrs of not playing you tend to forget a few.By doing that & always using it in some degree daily I have a good understanding of where the notes lie (Don't Lie to Me ? ) but I see what you mean by being able to "look" at the fretboard & know where the notes are without playing them.I created " my guide " based on a few simple truths & the relationship of the note from one string to another, which is not necessarly the adjacent string never is.Briefly what it is is this ;
The note we find on the 6th string can be found on the 4th 2 frets higher.The note on the 5th string can be found on the 3rd 2 frets higher (that covers 4 strings so far ) we know that the note on 1st string is same as on the 6th ( 5 strings/notes covered ) & to find the note on the 2nd string we need to know the note on the 5th then back 2 frets.It obvious the 2nd string like to be different the the rest of the " pack " ! A good exercise would be to have someone call out a note then you find them on all 6 strings without playing just visualising could be a bit of fun over a few beers !

LP

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks LP, I know those rules, but I just need to work at them so that I don't need them, If you know what I mean.

Griff

Staff member
Mike you may remmeber I posted a " LP's guide to finding the note " in BBG section a few months back ( shoulda been stickied I thought  ;)) which I came up with to help me get to know the notes again.After more than 20 yrs of not playing you tend to forget a few.By doing that & always using it in some degree daily I have a good understanding of where the notes lie (Don't Lie to Me ? ) but I see what you mean by being able to "look" at the fretboard & know where the notes are without playing them.I created " my guide " based on a few simple truths & the relationship of the note from one string to another, which is not necessarly the adjacent string never is.Briefly what it is is this ;
The note we find on the 6th string can be found on the 4th 2 frets higher.The note on the 5th string can be found on the 3rd 2 frets higher (that covers 4 strings so far ) we know that the note on 1st string is same as on the 6th ( 5 strings/notes covered ) & to find the note on the 2nd string we need to know the note on the 5th then back 2 frets.It obvious the 2nd string like to be different the the rest of the " pack " ! A good exercise would be to have someone call out a note then you find them on all 6 strings without playing just visualising could be a bit of fun over a few beers !

LP

Those little relationships will probably be different for each person. I've found that some people use the octaves (what LP described) really well, while others use the up and down 7 or 5 frets thing (Nenad described that earlier I think), while others (like me) just memorize the notes.

Another good thing to do is use note names, not fret number, whenever possible. The more you get used to thinking that way, the better it gets.

L

Lame_Pinkey

So in effect , Griff the goal is to memorize the notes as most would know readily or fairly readily  on the  5th & 6th string & I guess the 1st would come into that as well ?

...Hey gang just worked it out for ya you only need to memorize notes on the 4th,3rd & 2nd strings !
(as long as you know the 6th,5th & 1st  ;) )

LP

wgabree

Blues Newbie
So in effect , Griff the goal is to memorize the notes as most would know readily or fairly readily  on the  5th & 6th string & I guess the 1st would come into that as well ?

...Hey gang just worked it out for ya you only need to memorize notes on the 4th,3rd & 2nd strings !
(as long as you know the 6th,5th & 1st  ;) )

LP

LP is back and he's already lessened our load by half!!  :cool: