SWS Lesson 6 Challange

wgabree

Blues Newbie
SWS Lesson 6 Challange:

Learn all the notes on the guitar in about 2 weeks!

In lesson 6, Griff presents a method to memorize all the notes on the fretboard in about two weeks.

This is a challenge to do just that with that method.

Just post your start date and then post again in a week and then finally in 2 weeks to report your success!  :cool:

(and this is my starting post for myself! ;))

kgarkie

Been living the blues.
Well, I flunked this challenge already.  I didn't even know this was a race.  But, I am learning at my own rate.  I'm on B now and I started about the time I posted my last recording.  But, I going through all the previous ones to eventually drill it into my thick scull.   :-?

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
It's not a race ..it's a challenge.
Personally the time factor will help keep me focused on learning where all those notes are.
We all are winners in challenges.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Well, I flunked this challenge already.  I didn't even know this was a race.  But, I am learning at my own rate.  I'm on B now and I started about the time I posted my last recording.  But, I going through all the previous ones to eventually drill it into my thick scull.   :-?

Not a race - the time is just based on the method outlined in Lesson 6 of SWS.  If you don't have SWS, then this won't make sense and you should just ignore this challenge :p

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I started a couple of weeks ago, but I really haven't been as diligent as I should, so all I have is the first tow C and G. Not to mention that it hurts my brain trying to remember things like this by rote. I really learn better organically (learn it as I'm learning something else). Someone suggested saying (or singing)  the notes as you play scales. Since this is Soloing Without Scales, maybe sing the notes in the boxes as you play them?

kgarkie

Been living the blues.

Not a race - the time is just based on the method outlined in Lesson 6 of SWS.  If you don't have SWS, then this won't make sense and you should just ignore this challenge :p

Wayne, your soooooo observant, I see my solo 1 recordings but not yours.  Obviously, I have it.  I use practice lesson 6 as a warm up or cool down.  I still flunked this challenge and I still don't care.  I'm on B now.  I'll learn it when I learn it.  And Griff stated "It's not a race and there's no hurry." I'm also on Solo 2 and have the first 11 bars of that down and memorized.  And some day when the weather gets nice, I'll get though lesson 10 in BGU too. 

wgabree

Blues Newbie

Wayne, your soooooo observant, I see my solo 1 recordings but not yours.  Obviously, I have it.  I use practice lesson 6 as a warm up or cool down.  I still flunked this challenge and I still don't care.  I'm on B now.  I'll learn it when I learn it.  And Griff stated "It's not a race and there's no hurry." I'm also on Solo 2 and have the first 11 bars of that down and memorized.  And some day when the weather gets nice, I'll get though lesson 10 in BGU too. 

sorry man - i was also kinda saying that in general, not specifically about you, but anyone who may be reading the challenge post

i've been super busy and have only had time to make quick posts here and there, and post some video things, and have gotten behind my listening

i am listening to your solo 1 right now and you do sound like you're having fun!  :cool:

wgabree

Blues Newbie
And just to make sure it's clear, whether or not you get all the notes down in 2 weeks are not is irrelevant;  the point of the challenge was just to invite people to do lesson 6.

I know from my own previous experience with trying to get the notes down cold, that it's easy to put it off or stop halfway.  For me, the challenges are just fun reminders to practice something.   :cool:

So, you win not matter what in 2 weeks because you applying yourself, regardless.  :cool:

ndjordjevic

Blues Newbie
I'm in and I already started a week ago. Currently I'm on D.

Have you guys noticed that +7 or -5 frets rule when you go to the next string (except for B string)? Griff didn't mentioned that ...

560sdl

Blues Newbie
I am in, perfect timing as I just had a mini gig yesterday and my plate is a little clear so I can dive into SWS.  And I know I am limited by not knowing the notes.

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Look guys, there is no reason to wait as Lesson #6 is all about Griff's method of learning the fretboard.  It has nothing to do with any of the other lessons except it has everything to do with ALL of any lessons anywhere.

I think the point of the exercise is that we all just jump on this "together" and get a big hurdle behind us and I am all for the concept.  Great Idea Wayne.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Look guys, there is no reason to wait as Lesson #6 is all about Griff's method of learning the fretboard.  It has nothing to do with any of the other lessons except it has everything to do with ALL of any lessons anywhere.

I think the point of the exercise is that we all just jump on this "together" and get a big hurdle behind us and I am all for the concept.  Great Idea Wayne.

Good point 560 - and Griff says in the lesson that you should not stop on lesson 6, but do it simultaneously with the other stuff.  It's just about 5 minutes a day if you follow the procedure.   One bite at a time!  :cool:

560sdl

Blues Newbie

Good point 560 - and Griff says in the lesson that you should not stop on lesson 6, but do it simultaneously with the other stuff.  It's just about 5 minutes a day if you follow the procedure.   [glow=yellow,2,300]One bite at a time![/glow]  :cool:

Yup, the same way you eat a whole elephant!

wgabree

Blues Newbie

Have you guys noticed that +7 or -5 frets rule when you go to the next string (except for B string)? Griff didn't mentioned that ...

and the exception for the B strings is you +1 to the +7 or -1 to the -5.  Or in other words, +8 or -4.

i hadn't seen that yet, but when you mentioned it i did!

great observation nenad!  :cool:

recap and full explanation of nenad's observation:

to get to the next occurance of a note on the next string up, go either 7 frets up (+7) or 5 frets down (-5), UNLESS the next string is the the B string in which case you to +8 or -4.

and if you're going down from the high string, then you reverse the polarity:  -7 or +5 and the exception becomes the G string -8 or +4

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie

Yep ..every guitar player no matter what skill level will benefit greatly by doing the challenge...who knows ..you just might learn something.
I know I have already.

kgarkie

Been living the blues.
I up to B and will finish this lesson and I agree, this is a good thing to learn.  As I stated before, I use it for a warm up or cool down.  And keep going over all of the ones I've already attempted to learn.  Eventually, I will get it through my skull.  It's also good training for the ear since there's more than one octave involved.  I can certainly tell if I screw up.  I just don't learn things in a hurry. 

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member

I actually didn't mention it on purpose. It's an extra mental hurdle for most people and ends up slowing them down. If it works for you - go for it. But my experience has been that counting frets doesn't work out because most people get lost. I think the counting just adds one more thing to your mental list and it's enough to grind the gears to a halt.

Griff