Electric Guitars Swamp Bass

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
i posted a picture of this a while back, but rather than add to that post I just started a new one. I gave itto my son to work on, and he did a good job of sandiing the body.

It was a Warmoth body that somebody put on the local craigslist.

Here’s what I bought so far for it.

Mighty Mite maple P Bass neck with rosewood fretboard.

Fender bass tuning machines.

EMC “Geezer” P-J pickup set. Includes wiring and pots and jack.

Hipshot D Type bass bridge, matching tailpiece on the way.

Here’s a few pictures.

IMG_4679 by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

IMG_4681 by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

The neck has one of those sloping heels o the body, so I was really careful shortening the screws to attach it with.

I need to order some knobs and strings. And I need to decide on the location of the jack? I may add another hole for the tone pot, and use the one down at the end for the output jack?

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Very pretty! I always really like having the output jack on the side, rather than the front. Seems like there is less stress from bending the cable unnaturally, and less to get in the way when I am doing a fast and funky slap groove -- OK, OK, when I am *imagining* myself doing that.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Very pretty! I always really like having the output jack on the side, rather than the front. Seems like there is less stress from bending the cable unnaturally, and less to get in the way when I am doing a fast and funky slap groove -- OK, OK, when I am *imagining* myself doing that.

I agree with you. But imagine the loss of revenue to the cable companies, by having the jack on the side of the guitar? :eek: :)

Tom

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Nice looking job------I remember when a lot of guitar makers switched to "Swamp Ash" as a replacement for "ASH"--it was lighter and resonated pretty much the same. That was a long time ago.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Nice looking job------I remember when a lot of guitar makers switched to "Swamp Ash" as a replacement for "ASH"--it was lighter and resonated pretty much the same. That was a long time ago.
Michigan has lost most of its ash trees. We tried to quarantine it when it was first discovered but by 2018 the quarantine was lifted because the borer was found in every county in Michigan. The Chinese emerald ash borer did quite a job. Thanks people who buy crap from Walmart :(

Eric

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I don't know if we have the same bore----out here we have what is called "Bore Beetle" It started about 1980 and has totally wiped areas of
our forest- they have tried just about everything to get rid of them---but nothing is working very good.
Our forest are pine--

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Got the Danish Oil on the body. I think it looks nice.

Swampbass by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

I had it all together. I have a barrel jack coming to come out the edge of the body. And I will need to put a shim at the heel of the neck to get the neck to ave a little back angle. That will allow me to raise the saddles a bit from all the way down.

Once I get the hardware back on it, and get it setup properly, I will get some more pictures.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
i finally got some time to get it together. The neck needed 3 slips of 220 grit sandpaper at the heel to shim it at the proper angle. It's amazing how thin a shim you can use and still have an effect. The saddles were all the way down, and I couldn't get the strings low enough. I took all the relief out, but it needs a little. that worked great. It plays almost as good as the PRS SE bass I have, but more like the P Bass which feels nicer somehow?

I got all the pickup connected and it's all working. I still have to shield the control cavity, and make a cover for the control cavity. I guess I should use a piece of wood?

But here's a couple pics of the finished, or almost finished product.

IMG_4772 by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

IMG_4770 by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr