Studio One Studio One Tempo Changed

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I wanted to record to a track in the VJR (A minor jazzy number) which seemed to me to be recorded at approx 120 bpm or so.

I downloaded the track as I always have and when I opened it in Studio One, I hit "Play" to find the end of the last recording and the track was playing at least half the speed it was in the VJR (I'd guess around 60 bpm or even a bit less).

I've never had that happen before.

I thought that perhaps I may have accidentally clicked something so I closed and reopened S1 and reloaded the track and it's still playing slowly.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on here?

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
When you open S1 and create your New Song, on the bottom left RIGHT of the dialog is a checkbox by "Stretch Audio Files to Song Tempo". Uncheck that.

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Did Doug get you going? I don't have a better idea, but if you are still stuck I'll dig around a bit today to see if I can figure out something.
That should have fixed it. There is an option in Studio One when you export a tune that prints tempo information into the file header. It usually isn't an issue, but if someone hasn't set the tempo to match the track and saves with it enabled, some funny things happen. When exporting from Studio One, there is an option in the output dialog window to write/not write the tempo information to the exported track. Don't write the tempo to the track unless you are absolutely certain it is correct! Even then, for VJR usage, it isn't necessary.
Mixdown-Dialog.jpg

If you find yourself with a track that has tempo information embedded (especially if it is wrong), there is a similar option as @dvs mentioned. You'll find it here on the New Song template. Incidentally, if you use multiple templates, I believe this information is saved in each template, so this is not a global option.
Import-Dialog.jpg

Last edited:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Unchecked both and everything seems to be fine now.

Thanks for the input!

I was having some trouble setting the the Auto Punch.
I managed to get it to where when I hit record it would start several bars back but sometimes (and I have no idea if this was me or the program) it kept starting at the beginning of the track.

I can see the benefits of S1 over Audacity.
It's just gonna take some time to get past the basics before I can really start to dig in to this thing.

Anyway, I couldn't have gotten this far without Papa's tutorials and thanks again Lloyd for taking the time to do them!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I was having some trouble setting the the Auto Punch.

I have some problems with that, too. I'm colorblind and honestly I can barely tell the difference between Auto Punch enabled and disabled. It's just a tiny icon at the bottom of the screen. I don't know it the difference is immediately obvious to someone with normal color vision, but I have to use Zoomit to get it big enough to see any color resolution. Even then, I can't tell you what color it is in either active or inactive state.
PunchStatus.png

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Yeah but I can see it fine but I still have trouble getting it to work.

Do I set the cursor and then click the icon or vice versa?

I eventually got it to work by clicking the icon above it. Did that "clear" something perhaps?

S1 is more complicated than Audacity, but I wonder if that's due to complexity and capability or simply too much redundancy?
I'm still trying to figure out the relationship between the settings on my Focusrite vs the setting for the Master and Instrument sliders vis a vis channel inputs, monitor settings, levels and so on.

It's obviously all new to me and so I don't really expect it to be a piece of cake. But in some ways it seems like I have either more options than I will ever need or simply too many choices to do the same thing.

It's kind of like when you ask someone for directions and they give you one way to go but then they give you three or four other ways to get there. I know they're being helpful or thorough, but more often than not they just make it more confusing.

I'll figure things out eventually (I always do) but it's the meantime that drives me nuts.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
The icon above it is pre-roll. That will start recording at your active cursor position. When you click the record button, it will start playing prior to your recording and then punch in when it gets to your cursor position. How far ahead of your cursor position is in the Metronome Setting Window (the wrench next to the metronome). I think default is 2 bars, but you can change it to suit your comfort level.
MetronomeSettings.jpg
The punch in requires you to have the cursor before the beginning of the loop you established. When you click the Record button, it won't start recording until it reaches the beginning loop marker. Then it records until you stop it or the cursor reaches the end of the loop, whichever comes first.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
The icon above it is pre-roll. That will start recording at your active cursor position. When you click the record button, it will start playing prior to your recording and then punch in when it gets to your cursor position. How far ahead of your cursor position is in the Metronome Setting Window (the wrench next to the metronome). I think default is 2 bars, but you can change it to suit your comfort level.
View attachment 13216
The punch in requires you to have the cursor before the beginning of the loop you established. When you click the Record button, it won't start recording until it reaches the beginning loop marker. Then it records until you stop it or the cursor reaches the end of the loop, whichever comes first.

OK, that helps to clear that up (I had it backwards) and I have the loop stuff figured out.

There's just so much to remember until it starts to become familiar.

Baby steps.

Thanks for the info, Lloyd!

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Just throwing this out there...

I really like the pre-roll feature! :Beer:

I much prefer a "running start" over having a specific moment to begin playing or having to be "vewy vewy quiet" beforehand (which never seems to work out well).

Here's a question:

What does the "Quantize" feature do?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Just throwing this out there...
I really like the pre-roll feature! :Beer:
I much prefer a "running start" over having a specific moment to begin playing or having to be "vewy vewy quiet" beforehand (which never seems to work out well).
I do too. I started using Pre-Roll, but after working with Auto Punch, I find I use it a lot more often.

Here's a question:
What does the "Quantize" feature do?
For recording Audio, nothing. For MIDI it's for straightening out people with lousy timing.
Actually for audio, it can do something, but you have to get into tempo mapping and Bend Markers. It will give most people (including me) a headache.

The stuff that's in the quantize section does have good uses outside of MIDI.
QuantizeParameters.jpg
This stuff sets the interval markers in the tempo bar.

There is also input quantizing, which can be applied to a MIDI instrument that will place note starts on "correct" timing locations even if the player is a bit sloppy. This is normally turned off and corrected after it has been recorded. In some cases, no quantization is applied, which leaves a recorded MIDI performance sounding much more human, being that the timing parameters, while relatively accurate, aren't surgically precise.