Live Sound Studio Monitors

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I have been using a pair of Alesis M1 Active 520 speakers for quite a while but I'm not always loving the sound of my guitar (Guitar->Eleven Rack> StudioLive Ar8 USB mixer-> Monitors).
How much do you really NEED to spend for a decent pair of monitors?
Any particular recommendations?

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Originally, I was using my stock Boston Acoustic 5.1 computer speakers as monitors. They came with a sub and worked pretty good but weren't really great in the volume department.

I wanted speakers that could serve as monitors but could also handle some decent volume for when I want to crank up some jam tracks and play over them just for the fun of it.

So I bought a pair of Presonus Eris 8 powered monitors and an Eris 8 powered Subwoofer. I got a good deal on them (Sweetwater) and I love them!

A little pricey and perhaps a bit of overkill, but they sound great both as monitors and as a "backing band" and I'm very happy!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ErisE8XT--presonus-eris-e8-xt-8-inch-powered-studio-monitor

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...us-eris-sub-8-8-inch-powered-studio-subwoofer

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Kind of depends on how big of a speaker you want (or have room for). Presonus Eris mentioned above and the KRK Rokit series are great choices without being too expensive. I don't have much room, so I've been using a pair of Monoprice monitors that are copies of an M-Audio BX5 and sound great.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
When I put my little recording area together a month or so ago, space was an issue as much as anything. I ended up with a pair of the Presonus Eris 3.5 speakers. They're about as small as I could get and them still be "official" studio speakers. They seem decent enough and do the trick for me. $100 shipped to your door.

I do, however, feel the need to add a huge YMMV to this because I know that what works for me here very well may not work for others and their needs.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Just a quick thought:
Studio monitors may not be what your looking for if guitar is your primary instrument.
Given you already have them though,
I'd suggest tweaking them with EQ that suits your taste before jumping into new ones.

Also, if you used to like them and now you don't, I'd ask......
Have moved them or your listening position in the room?
Placement and listening position can greatly influence what hear.

Stinger22

Blues Junior
I've got my 15" 1000w self powered EV's running but also a set of Behringer Truth studio monitors on the shelf.

upload_2021-1-14_20-49-49.png

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
A few years ago, after my m1's self destruction, I ordered a pair of JBL 305s as a replacement. They sounded so much better, I was concerned my mixes would suffer, feeling that if everything sounded good in the studio it might not translate to other listening environments. Turned out to be a non-issue, but this is for use as near field monitors, so they might not best suit your purpose.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
FWIW, if size is the main concern, I have a pair of these connected to my desktop (for playing around with being connected to a DAW via my digital interface) and they're quite powerful and sound great. They can sit on a flat surface or you can mount them on a stand. They're available direct from IK or via the usual suspects. Not cheap, but the price is for a pair rather than for a single unit.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmm/

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Don't you have a Bose sound reinforcement system? Why not give that a try?
Hmmm...I actually have two Bose systems. my S1 stand alone speakers that I use for gigs 9so I wouldn't want to keep moving them )
And my bigger L1 S2, which might be a good, it just takes up more floor space than I'd like.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
it just takes up more floor space than I'd like.
I heard that. I'm working on my third layout of the music room, trying to find just a few more square feet. The kids were here over the holidays and I had to move some guitars into the music room. Now I'm getting pushback from SWMBO about moving a few back into the guest bedroom.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Wow! 10 responses... and 10 different answers. Well, I'm glad that's cleared up.
I may hook up my S1s just to see if I like the sound any better.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Wow! 10 responses... and 10 different answers. Well, I'm glad that's cleared up.
I may hook up my S1s just to see if I like the sound any better.

Actually Mike, my and dvs's suggestions are virtually identical except for the manufacturer.

Jus'sayin'... :D

Last edited:
Reactions: dvs

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
FWIW, if size is the main concern, I have a pair of these connected to my desktop (for playing around with being connected to a DAW via my digital interface) and they're quite powerful and sound great. They can sit on a flat surface or you can mount them on a stand. They're available direct from IK or via the usual suspects. Not cheap, but the price is for a pair rather than for a single unit.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmm/

These look great... Only wish they had some of the controls up front like the volume..

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Actually Mike, my and dvs's suggestions are virtually identical except for the manufacturer.

Jus'sayin'...
Yes, these are front-ported monitors with 8-inch speaker and 1" tweeter, designed for near-field monitoring and specs are very close together. Kali's are cheaper, Presonus has a more established reputation. My wife is a drummer and I play bass as well as guitar, so went with 8" speakers rather than 6" for better low-end response. I almost bought the Eris but thought we'd give the Kali's a try and liked them so much my wife and I now each have a pair. BUT we bought them (and use them) as studio monitors, not for a quasi PA, which is where a lot of the other suggestions seem to be aimed. If you want monitors (for mixing, recording, practicing at your desk, whatever), PA speakers, which are not designed for near-field listening and not especially "flat" in their response, are IMO a poor substitute. If you mostly want to play loud in your office space, have at it.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Yes, these are front-ported monitors with 8-inch speaker and 1" tweeter, designed for near-field monitoring and specs are very close together. Kali's are cheaper, Presonus has a more established reputation. My wife is a drummer and I play bass as well as guitar, so went with 8" speakers rather than 6" for better low-end response. I almost bought the Eris but thought we'd give the Kali's a try and liked them so much my wife and I now each have a pair. BUT we bought them (and use them) as studio monitors, not for a quasi PA, which is where a lot of the other suggestions seem to be aimed. If you want monitors (for mixing, recording, practicing at your desk, whatever), PA speakers, which are not designed for near-field listening and not especially "flat" in their response, are IMO a poor substitute. If you mostly want to play loud in your office space, have at it.

Agreed.

I bought the Eris because of great reviews and because Sweetwater had some kind of limited time offer on them.

They are very flat and work great as near-field monitors. The sub was an afterthought because A: I was used to having one and B: because I wanted that extra "thump" for when I just want to crank them.

So basically it's a "best-of-both-worlds" kind of thing.

Reactions: dvs