strumming CAGE chord shapes

Blues_Dude

Love Dem N'Awlins Blues
I'm working on these chord shapes. I am getting the shapes and fingering down but what is the proper way to strum each shape? In other words, do I strum the same strings as I would if playing these shapes as open chords? If playing the A chord using D shape, do I only strum the d, g, b and e string? Same question for the other shapes.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I'm working on these chord shapes. I am getting the shapes and fingering down but what is the proper way to strum each shape? In other words, do I strum the same strings as I would if playing these shapes as open chords? If playing the A chord using D shape, do I only strum the d, g, b and e string? Same question for the other shapes.
Just from what I've heard Griff say, if in a band setting, just play the top 4 strings or so, since the bass player will be playing the bass notes. Same concept as using the "little chords".
If you are playing by yourself, go ahead and strum all the strings. That's the way I look at it anyway. (n)

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
In practice, per Griff's recommendation, I regularly play the CAGED shapes using the Circle of 5th's at a
metronome setting of 60 bpm. This is to build a familiarty with the shapes in all positions.

Mark from Murrieta

Blues Junior
Each chord shape has it's own voice - tonality and that voice will stay pretty much consistent up and down the neck. The D shape, the C shape, etc.

If that voice doesn't fit what your ears wanna hear, change the fingering to another shape.

If you're playing a 2 or 3 note "chord", high up on the neck, and it sounds to thin for what you're after, use your un-used finger(s) and search around for the note(s) that will flesh out the chord and provide a fuller sound.

Regarding which strings to strum; start with the strings that have a finger on them and mute or don't play the ones that don't have a finger on them. Some positions will allow you to let open strings ring out, some won't, depends on the sound you're going for and / or the voicing the song needs to sound "right".

Not to be a smart ass... Use your ears. :Beer:

Mark from Murrieta

Blues Junior
In practice, per Griff's recommendation, I regularly play the CAGED shapes using the Circle of 5th's at a
metronome setting of 60 bpm. This is to build a familiarty with the shapes in all positions.

What has helped me greatly is to substitute the various chord shapes while playing along with a song or backing track. If it's a simple 1-4-5 blues track, play a flash chord game with yourself and the track, exchange the chord shapes as often and as far reaching as you can (but still in time) all over the neck. If you do this it will not only get you changing chord shapes and positions all over the neck in a more natural manner but it'll force you to find the root note the shape is based on so you stop getting lost.

This same flash chord drill works with the boxes, licks, everything.