String thing again

Elwood

Blues
too wimpy when I pull up
be careful! the operative term here is "gently". Like a real easy tug o war between your hands with the pushing hand winning as you ease the pin into fully seated position.
I sure don't want anyone with a damaged top or bridge because they did it "Elwood's" way. :confused: Slotless pins huh??? Wonder why? :rolleyes:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Locking tuners... Yuck!! That's a big no no when it comes to acoustics... BUT, whatever flips your switch I say...
In my case you are talking to someone who only owns an acoustic to prop against the wall by his commode to practice his electric licks on while sitting on the commode so he doesn't electrocute hisself and who's idea of acoustic maintenance is "don't pee on it". :whistle::whistle::):ROFLMAO:

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Slotless pins huh??? Wonder why? :rolleyes:

Well back in the golden years, that's how it was done... Fast forward to today, they have found doing so helps keep the bridge plate in good shape... That said, if a guitar doesn't come that way(most don't), I get the bridge slotted and switch to solid pins... I can point you to some good info on it if you like... Just send me a note...

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
What wasted time? To string: String through post to measure it and back it up to appropriate length. Give it a wrap and bend it straight up to lock it. Tighten string around post. Clip string even with the top of the post to keep it from poking anything. To unstring: Loosen string slightly and clip it at the nut. Grab the part that is wrapped around the post and pull straight up while grabbing the straight up bit of string with string cutter and pull the string out of the post.

I would submit to you that, if you use that method more than a time or two the difference in time is nominal to non-existent. However, as with most things guitar-related, ymmv.

If I had to have the same kind of tuners on every guitar, my vote would be vintage Fender style. I like them best.

You just listed a bunch of completely unnecessary steps and of course they take time. The best part is as a reward for your extra effort, you have a string that is no more secure and actually has a new weak point that you introduced.

Here is a Taylor video. Show me someone doing the Martin method faster...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyD_t8dFgsY&ab_channel=TaylorGuitars

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
You just listed a bunch of completely unnecessary steps and of course they take time. The best part is as a reward for your extra effort, you have a string that is no more secure and actually has a new weak point that you introduced.

Here is a Taylor video. Show me someone doing the Martin method faster...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyD_t8dFgsY&ab_channel=TaylorGuitars
In effort not to turn this into another "tone is in the fingers/pickups/wood/where-ever-the-heck-tone-comes-from" kind of subject, ,I'm not looking for a vid of anyone changing strings. Also, you have to admit that your vid is an outlier because nobody actually races to change strings like that guy was doing. What I can tell you is that I can, and do on a regular basis change a set of strings in about 5 minutes, and I'm not racing like that guy, I don't use a a powered driver of any sort, and I don't have to clean strings up off the floor when I'm done. So, if you want to call the extra 3 minutes it takes me to change strings a waste of time, feel free.

Also, I don't buy the added weak point argument. Never have. Granted, it's anecdotal, but out of all the strings I've ever had break, I could count on one hand the number of them that broke at the post, and the ones that did were probably all due to trying to reuse strings.

I'll update my earlier statement by saying that, except for this guy who was obviously trying to set some sort of record, use whichever method you want to use because, after you've used that method more than a couple of times, the speed difference in the two is nominal to non-existent. However, as with most things guitar related, YMMV.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Dang... I've always been a lock the string under the wraps guy... Is that Martin style? But after watching the videos and hearing the comments I just may have a change of heart here.

Actually planning to restring one of my PRS electric guitars with 9s [down from 10s] and may just give this method a try.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
Also, you have to admit that your vid is an outlier because nobody actually races to change strings like that guy was doing.

Even if I accept your arguments that it doesn’t take that much longer and it rarely leads to a broken string, there is still no benefit. The Taylor method or the flip one over and wind under methods are at least as fast or faster and the strings are as neat and secure so, why mess with the Martin method other than “this is how we always did it”?

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Our part of this conversation has devolved into other threads around here that would argue what tone is and what affects it. Is it the pups or the tone wood or in the fingers? Can any wood actually be considered "tone wood"? To kink or not to kink. Is that the question here? Maybe we should all be a little kinkier. Maybe we should all be a little straighter. Does it really actually matter in the overall scheme of things? Or maybe it really does all hinge on what the definition of "is" is. I have nothing more to offer to this specific conversation that would be considered constructive, so I can be found hanging out in some other thread. :Beer:

ronico

rainyislandblues
oops didn't think it was that big of a deal. fwiw shane was pretty much in final solution in the the martin lock thing with a cheat 1st loop then wind. clever.. Stay in tune dudes and dudettes

Stinger22

Blues Junior
Just did my Taylor the Taylor way. Have switched to that on everything without locking. Have two Tele's and Strat and Custom Shop ES-339 the Teles I switched to locking the ES-339 came with them. LOVE locking tuners on my electrics.

MinorT

Got My Mojo Working???
Didn’t know there was a name for it, on vintage tuners, just down the rabbit hole, 2-3 wraps on the post, stretch, tune to pitch and done.
On everything else I do a lock wrap, always have and always will.