Strategy for combining licks - emotional expression

Discussion in 'How To Improvise Blues Solos' started by WilliamWilson, Sep 12, 2019.

1. WilliamWilson

WilliamWilson Blues Newbie

Once you learn and memorize the licks - starting and stopping point, etc. is there a guide to considering emotional effect on the listener? This riff builds tension, for example and this riff resolves it. Curious if there is blog post perhaps that addresses the “strategic” construction of a solo.

Elwood likes this.
  2. Many Moons

Many Moons Biking+Blues=Bliss

I don't know if these will help on 'stragety' or not, but they may be worth a look.

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 17.31.23.png

3. Danno

Danno Blues Newbie

The construction kits are basically expanded versions of the HTI course with five licks for each "position" in the form. I don't really recall anything about "emotional effect" in any of the three courses. I do seem to remember, and I could be wrong, some discussion of using a lick that finishes "high" or transposing a lick an octave higher to do the same as well as strategies for modifying licks to work in specific situations.

4. PapaBear

PapaBear Guit Fiddlier

Billy Gibbons was quoted as saying “play what you wanna hear” as the best advice he got, you could reinterpret that as “ play what you wanna say” hmmm there might be a song in that