Storing your guitars on racks or wall hangers

Gunrunner

Blues and Bird Dogs
Are there any serious issues with keeping your electric guitars out of their cases all the time? I do realize that generally the best storage option is in their cases, and this is where my acoustics reside (with humidipacks, which are checked regularly), but nearly all of my electrics reside on racks. I love to look at them, you can grab your guitar of choice any time, and I like having them immediately accessible. There’s one each in my family room and living room, which I play whenever I’m watching TV in either room, and a bunch in my bedroom. Kids aren’t an issue unless my grandson is visiting, and when he’s here the guitars are kept out of reach. And none of them are exposed to sunlight or excessive heat; any downsides to this strategy?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
My 2 cents:
With good holders, no issues with solid bodies however, hollow & semi hollow bodies may be more susceptible to changes in humidity.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
So my question is what are you trying to achieve? If they are expensive collectors guitars bought for an investment put them in cases in a humidified room. If they are standard guitars to be played (even epensive custom shop) put them where you can play them. Even if there is a little fade in colours or maybe the dust gets in the pots and they need replacing what's the issue. Hundreds or thousands of hours pleasure vs a few quid to restore. No contest in my mind. Also (unless they are investments as mentioned above) you get the pleasure. Your decendents get the residual value...play the heck out of them I say.

cheers

Al.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
any downsides to this strategy?
None that I'm aware of. My fav Strat hangs permanently on a Hercules stand beside my desk for quick access, while a further two hang on my study wall. (only because I haven't got round to getting more hangers, otherwise all six would be hanging somewhere) If it's good enough for professional music shops, then it's good enough for me.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I have most of mine hanging. I try not to store on stands. I just knocked one over yesterday, but it just tipped against the wall.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
The only one I have on a stand is my resonator. It is metal bodied and if I knock it over it tends to do more damage to what it hits rather than he other way round. Feels a little heavy for a hanger. Though in reality it is probably lighter than a Les Paul.

cheers

Al.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I use the multi-instrument racks for mine. I don't even have cases for everything and there isn't enough free wall space in my music room for more than one or two hangers. The only drawback I see is they do get a little dusty if they aren't getting played every day, but I have a drawer full of micro-fiber polishing cloths I got at Harbor Freight, so there is always a cleaning cloth nearby. I replaced a bunch of my single instrument floor stands because we have a (relatively) new dog that has the bull in china shop syndrome and I was pretty much out of floor space. The multi racks are more stable and take up much less real estate in my music room. I still have some guitars on individual stands, but most of them are in a guest bedroom that is normally not accessible to the dog.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I keep as many as possible out on multi racks and single stands. I count 17 out right now. If they are out I'll pick them up and play them! 2 are out at the Tahoe place and ready to play. The main reason why a guitar would be in it's case would be that it's kinda in transit between Tahoe and Reno or if it just needs repair. I'm not a big fan of putting a guitar on a wall hanger in Earthquake country. I've experienced too many shakers over the years. :Beer:

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Got mine on wall hangers in Greece (earthquake country). That way they can swing and nothing can fall on them. If the quake is big enough to get them off the wall then we are in bigger sh!t but that is what earthquake insurance is for.

cheers

Al.
Good luck! I truly hope that works for you. I'd rather not temp injury. Although I just moved away from CA the CA NV border is less than 10 miles from me. Out here elevated reinforced concrete freeways fall down and we loose sections of the Bay Bridge in Earthquakes........ A simple fall off a wall is enough to break the neck on a guitar. Especially on a Gibson. :Beer:

Last edited:

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Captain!! WOW!! That's a serious looking music studio/operation you have there dude!! Beautiful!

Gunrunner

Blues and Bird Dogs
Hey gang, many thanks for the feedback; I was afraid I might be doing long-term damage to my guitars by leaving them exposed. You have put my mind at ease on this.

And yeah, Captain that is one first class studio you have... outstanding!