Starting the lick

patb

Blues Junior
In How to Improvise Blues Solos Griff shows how a lick with notes late in the first bar can be played as just that or as an intro. He likes the intro scenario as it "makes a statement". I like it too but have a practical question.
Since this requires an additional bar to accommodate the intro how does the band know I need the extra bar up front? It seems I could end up always a bar late in the chord changes. I don't have much experience playing with a band.
Thanks
Pat

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
If you're talking about something like Example 20, It's a pickup when you play it as an intro and is played before the 12 bar actually begins. In a jam situation you might mention you will be playing a pickup. If you're playing with experienced players, it probably isn't necessary, as it would be unusual for the band to start on anything but the 1. If someone else is counting in, it becomes imperative that you know exactly where your lick starts and where the count actually is. If the drummer counts in with just sticks and no verbal count, this is especially important. Most count-ins are two bars.

What you are actually playing over is the 12th bar from the previous progression, except that there is no previous progression.