Special Thanks...

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Well the last couple of weeks have been kind of a blur...

Tuesday morning, the 1st of April (I know... April fool's!) I woke up and went outside around 7:30 to go unload my trailer and drop it off at the storage unit like I often do the morning after a gig.

Except this time there was nothing there... no truck, no trailer, no P/A or drumset in the trailer.

I called the police immediately and they came out and took statements... I called the insurance companies for my truck and my homeowner's policy.

The truck is covered to some degree (a 10 year old truck with nearly 100K miles isn't worth much anyway) my homeowner's insurance doesn't cover things that get used for commercial purposes and, let's face it, my commercial use of my gear isn't exactly a secret.

You might think I would have insurance on the gear, but in the past when I've looked into it the premiums would have paid for the gear several times over in the last 22 years that I've been doing this... it just didn't make economic sense.

Of course, in the back of my mind I knew that left me open to things like what happened and I knew that one day I might have to pay that bill... and April 1st was that day.

Furthermore, Chris had similar luck with his homeowner's insurance for his drums... if you use them to make even 1 dollar they won't help anymore... same situation.

Well within a couple of hours of the robbery Laura had posted pictures of the truck and trailer up on Facebook to start alerting our musician friends and family about this so they could keep an eye out for the gear and the vehicles.

Most people said, "The truck will probably turn up in a couple of days on the side of a road somewhere, but the trailer may be a few weeks or months before it turns up."

Well it's been 10 days and I've mailed the title and keys to the insurance company. I doubt anyone will see that Big Red Truck (we called it BeRT) around here ever again. I suppose I should be excited to go shop for a new truck, but I tend to bond with things and I don't like to replace them. Silly as it sounds I've had a lot of great adventures in that truck and I'll miss it very much.

Of course, the BGU community and the musicians, friends, and family on Facebook started sharing the post and it went crazy. Before I knew it, it had been shared thousands of times and literally the messages and emails and phone calls were coming in so fast I could barely keep up... everyone wanted to know what happened and offer their support and well wishes and it was really amazing.

But what happened after that we never imagined in a million years...

Several BGU members got together and started a gofundme campaign to allow people to donate and support our efforts to re-buy what we need to keep gigging and doing things like BGU Live.

I wasn't all that familiar with gofundme, and I didn't actually hear of it right away. So imagine my surprise when I saw it and noticed that there was already over $1000 in it!

Fast forward a few days and through the incredible support of our BGU family that campaign has raised over $24,000!

Because of that, and a really great rep at Guitar Center and Sweetwater, I was able to get about 90% of the PA re-bought... and should have enough here by next weekend that BGU Live will be largely unaffected (save the bags under my eyes :)

I know it might not seems like it should take a whole lot of gear to put on a blues show... but when you add in 3 horns and realize that you have to fill places like Downtown Disney and sometimes larger outdoor venues... and that we have to carry a spare of EVERYTHING (yes, I carry a spare mixer even,) then the amount of equipment approaches staggering pretty quickly.

There are still some things I haven't purchased and the time I'll have to put into putting it all back together will be substantial... but the fact that I've been able to do this much, this fast, is mind boggling.

Laura and I have spent several hours looking at the comments and the well wishes and just cannot believe how much love and support has been coming our way.

To say "Thank You" at this point seems so completely inadequate... and for a guy who talks for a living to not know what to say probably speaks louder than anything I could come up with...

But I want to say Thank You from the bottom of my heart for all that you have done and given for us.

It is never lost on me that I am where I am in this world because of all of you. My job is quite simply to serve my community of blues guitar players in the best way that I know how and that is the simple mission that I've always lived by.

I have never felt more humbled or inspired... nor have I ever felt so connected to such a large group. I will always be grateful and do my best to continue to serve this community the best way I can.

Thank you all so much,
Griff

stringbreaker

Blues Newbie
Griff,

I speak for myself but I am sure others feel this way.  What the community has done is a way to say thank you back for all the support you have given us over the years.

You have not only provided videos, emails, blog posts etc. but when a member asks you a question, you have been available to answer it.

You paid it forward for many years now your karma is returned.

We thank you from our innermost "Blues" soul,

TonyS

Blues Newbie
I'm sure I can speak for others as well as myself when I say that you have already given us more than we have given you.  All the time you have spent creating the courses and trying to pass on your knowledge and experience so we could enjoy making music to the best of our ability is greatly appreciated by so many in this BGU family.  Even though I've never met you in person I class you as a friend because you are so accessible and willing to help with any problem or question any of us have.  That is something I very much doubt I could have said about any other online teacher of anything.  Contributing a small amount of money in your moment of need is really nothing compared to what you have contributed to my guitar playing enjoyment.

burlew

Blues Junior
I'm sure I can speak for others as well as myself when I say that you have already given us more than we have given you.  All the time you have spent creating the courses and trying to pass on your knowledge and experience so we could enjoy making music to the best of our ability is greatly appreciated by so many in this BGU family.  Even though I've never met you in person I class you as a friend because you are so accessible and willing to help with any problem or question any of us have.  That is something I very much doubt I could have said about any other online teacher of anything.  Contributing a small amount of money in your moment of need is really nothing compared to what you have contributed to my guitar playing enjoyment.

Yep.

What he said.

+1

Db

L

LynnLaFrance

Things have been said very well by the members before me.  I would just like to add this.....

I just got home from doing a gig with our 8 piece band.  It's almost 3 am my time and I am tired.  HOWEVER, there is a huge smile on my face from the 3 set show that we just completed.  YOU, my friend Griff, are the reason that I am in this position.  If I had never found you and your BGU course, I would still be a bad guitar strummer and being in a band would still just be a hollow wish.

Without all that you have done for me, I would never be able to do what I do now and wouldn't have had the adventures that I have been privileged to experience.  For me, like others, your gracious gift of teaching and being there when I needed assistance has far outweighed anything that I have been able to provide to you.  Your friendship is a valuable asset to me that I cherish and hold in high esteem.

Thank you Griff, for all that you do for me and for us.

macmkor

Blues Newbie
Awesome Griff. The good part, I mean.  ;)  If this isn't just an awesome example of goodness being repaid with goodness then I don't know what is. Peace and love.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
You started out to expand your teaching via the Internet and video courses. What you and Laura have instead created is a large extended family.

When a family member needs help, everyone rushes to his aid. What you are seeing is the response to the unselfishness and hospitality that you and Laura have offered us.

So if you are happy with what you see it is merely a reflection of your unselfish love and generosity.

I am proud to call you both friend. 

TonyS

Blues Newbie
You started out to expand your teaching via the Internet and video courses. What you and Laura have instead created is a large extended family.

When a family member needs help, everyone rushes to his aid. What you are seeing is the response to the unselfishness and hospitality that you and Laura have offered us.

So if you are happy with what you see it is merely a reflection of your unselfish love and generosity.

I am proud to call you both friend. 
Well said!!!!

steve w

Nottinghamshire, UK
I echo what as been said, plus my own words, I couldn't donate much to the fund, I haven't worked for the last six years as I have to care for the wife, I have to save long and hard just to get my own gear, but felt I had to give something. I've had a great couple of years with BGU, it's been a fantastic learning tool and I have really enjoyed the forum community.
I don't believe there is anyone out there better than Griff so we gotta keep him going.

daveyjoe

Blues Newbie
I'm just glad that we were all able to help in some way Griff, whether it be with donations or just words of condolence.

Pete R

Blues Newbie
I wish I could find the right words to add to what everyone else has already said.  But there simply are no words that adequately express the gratitude for what you have given us.

Gibsongirl

Gibsongirl
The gift of music is Priceless!. Griff has given us, and will continue to give us that gift every day.  Putting the gofund together is just a small way to return the love.  Griff has always gone above and beyond for his students, from  answering the smallest question or e-mail to personally handling the rare problem or issue, his generous teaching methods, I could go on and on, much has already been said, and said better by my fellow BGU'ers.
I have made progress as a musician and as a person.  I doubt Chris remembers this but at my first BGU live in 2013 I told him "this changed my life" and it has , all for the better.  Thank You Griff and Band/ Family for all you have done for us.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I had to help our just a bit, just because I couldn't bear the thought of those two crystal covered saxaphones of Laura's sitting at home and not being featured on stage!

You're OK too, Griff!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I wish I could find the right words to add to what everyone else has already said.  But there simply are no words that adequately express the gratitude for what you have given us.

+1  My thoughts exactly.  A few years ago, I never would have thought I'd be playing in front of people at local jams, but thanks to you, Griff, I am. 

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I wish I could have helped out more than I did. The quality of what you do together with the obvious love of what you do has gotten my playing much farther along than I ever would have imagined, and the online community you have created has become a huge asset to all of us here.

Having had my small business broken into and seriously vandalized a few years ago, I can also relate to the feeling of being violated, especially when it directly affects your livelihood and ability to support your family.  Today, the only positive memory I have is of all the customers, vendors, and neighbors that went out of their way to help us out while we scrambled to reassemble computers, accounting systems, and files.  The maddening part is that while the jerks who do this sort of thing see it as some sort of game or thrill, the reality is that it has a very serious impact on people who, like Griff and Chris, got what they had through very hard work.