Sound during the bends

henryj

Blues Newbie
I've been working on SWS solo 1.  I notice in Griffs play along he gets a nice rich sound with good sustain and even volume when he holds a bend.  My bends sound tinny and the volume drops off quickly.  I know some of it is technic and I am improving but the sound is still light years away from Griffs recording.  Is Griff using any special equipment pedals or such to get that nice sound. 

I have a Fender frontman 25 w and a Line 6 Micro spyder, with a MIM strat, no extra equipment. I have played with the knobs every way shape and form and cannot duplicate that sound.

Do I need to add something?  I don't want to just throw money at it.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
It's in the fingers - he's also using a well developed vibrato which helps the note have a nice singing quality (which is done with fretting fingers).

It comes with time.  You have to build up the finger strength.

The secret?

Practice, practice & practice.

When I first started playing, I thought all my playing issues would be solved with better equipment (I had a cheesy $15 secondhand electric with an equally cheesy $15 radio shack amp).  Fact is, today I could make that rig sound good.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Henryj, remember in the end you will have a great sound but it will be your sound. You can't get Griff's exact sound only the notes and style you are an original. Go for it. Practice, Practice and Practice. :)

L

Lame_Pinkey

Get a Jackson RR 5 & scream all night !
...oh while your at it get a new avatar as well  ;D

LP

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Hey Henry, if you're really struggling with it, you may want to skip ahead to page 33 and work on Solo 1 in Bb. It's the same thing, but a lot slower. It would give you a good chance to really feel the bends and work on nailing them at a slower pace. Good luck.

L

Lame_Pinkey

Well i see you got a new avatar Henry, does that mean the Jackson RR 5 is also on the way ?

LP

henryj

Blues Newbie
Nothing new for a while.  My Christmas list is going to be for a nicer amp.  Vacillating between new Fender Mustang for versatility or the simplicity of a Bugera V5.  Or not.

henryj

Blues Newbie
Ok two things to help with bending. 
1. Practice

2. Raise the action just about one frog hair to stop fretting out.  The small adjustment made a huge difference.  It wasn't fretting enough to stop the note form playing, but just enough to kill any amount of sustain.

I'm a happy camper tonight.

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
glad you got it resolved. i was just about to say I HEAR YOU.

sometimes my bends are good and sometimes they suck! i am having a heck of a time with the last 2 measures. i can't seem to finish at the same time as Griff. (sometimes I hate him!  JK!!!!!!!!!!! I could never hate him, he's an awesome teacher!)

anyway, glad it's gotten good for you!