Solo 6 question

Jerry_G

Blues Newbie
I'm looking at measure 33 in the third grouping of notes and I see a 10 (0) pull off. The notes look like F and G but I don't think that can be right. Maybe it's the (0) that's throwing me. What are we supposed to play here? Thanks!

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I think he just missed a note and hit the open 3rd string G.

I think it should be a pull off from 10 to 9 rather than 10 to (0), then repeat pull off 10 to 9, then down to a missing 7 (?) on the 3rd string, then the 9 on string 4 to 7 on string 3.

Keep in mind that for this course Griff recorded first, then transcribed, which means he also transcribed "mistakes" that happened.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/770c6k46amnwrdl/Solo 6.mp4?dl=0

Last edited:

Jerry_G

Blues Newbie
Thank you. I will try that. I'm only up to measure 30 or so but today I was listening and watching the rest of the solo and saw that and really wasn't sure what to do (once I get there). This is a tough solo for me but I want to try and get through it in its entirety. I'm pretty sure I won't get to the point where I can play it at full speed but want to be able to play it reasonably well at say 75-80% speed. There are some good licks in it and this is a course that I bought when it first came out and have been plucking away at it off and on for years.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
The (0) means a couple of things...

The 0, obviously, means it's an open string... the parens around it mean that it's barely audible, so I might be wrong.

However, in this case, I know myself. It's one of those things where, in the middle of playing a line, I pulled my finger off the string, and the open string rang, but it goes by so fast that it really doesn't matter.

If you were trying to decide how to approach it, I'd actually approach it as a rest, more than trying to play it specifically unless, for you, that open string gives you time to get to the next thing.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
That kind of threw me too when I first saw it.
Paleo's solution works fine.
I wound up inventing my own slightly different approach to it. Being basically lazy, I took an easier way out.
Where Griff's notation goes: (starting on the second string) 10 7 (third string) 10 (0) 10 9
instead I play (second string) 10 7 (third string) 10 9 7
So I'm playing only 3 notes where he indicates 4, but this falls under the finger extremely easy and maintains the triplet feel of the phrase, so it's easy to play fast at constant tempo. At this speed, the notes are flying by so quickly anyway, that it matters little IMO.
If you wind up ending the phrase by hitting the first note of measure 34 on time, you're golden IMO.
I have found over time, that other permutations of the original have crept into various phrases. I guess that is where one's individual style starts to develop or show up. At some point, you start to stray away from being a slave to the "as written" and start to play the "as I feel it".
Better or worse? Does it matter? I don't think so.

Jerry_G

Blues Newbie
The (0) means a couple of things...

The 0, obviously, means it's an open string... the parens around it mean that it's barely audible, so I might be wrong.

However, in this case, I know myself. It's one of those things where, in the middle of playing a line, I pulled my finger off the string, and the open string rang, but it goes by so fast that it really doesn't matter.

If you were trying to decide how to approach it, I'd actually approach it as a rest, more than trying to play it specifically unless, for you, that open string gives you time to get to the next thing.
Thanks for the response!

Jerry_G

Blues Newbie
That kind of threw me too when I first saw it.
Paleo's solution works fine.
I wound up inventing my own slightly different approach to it. Being basically lazy, I took an easier way out.
Where Griff's notation goes: (starting on the second string) 10 7 (third string) 10 (0) 10 9
instead I play (second string) 10 7 (third string) 10 9 7
So I'm playing only 3 notes where he indicates 4, but this falls under the finger extremely easy and maintains the triplet feel of the phrase, so it's easy to play fast at constant tempo. At this speed, the notes are flying by so quickly anyway, that it matters little IMO.
If you wind up ending the phrase by hitting the first note of measure 34 on time, you're golden IMO.
I have found over time, that other permutations of the original have crept into various phrases. I guess that is where one's individual style starts to develop or show up. At some point, you start to stray away from being a slave to the "as written" and start to play the "as I feel it".
Better or worse? Does it matter? I don't think so.
Thanks for the response and yeah I agree about the "at some point" point. I'm still just barely hanging on and playing with Griff so not there yest as far as making it my own. It's a challenge for sure!