Solo 4 coming up - Advice needed

GOTGI

Blues Newbie
Hey Guys,
I don´t know if this question has been a topic here before.
Just finished Solo 3 (after several months). Now that Solo 4 (a real beast) is coming up, it´s the first time Griff talks about switching between Major and Minor Blues Scale. Shall I continue with the solo or would it make more sense to stop right here and do the MMBS course first? Thanks for your help.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Good question. I did the MMBS course after I completed BGU. I try to stay on track with any single course I’m doing, but lots of folks bounce between various things. My thought is that as long as I’m still interested and motivated to do the material, I just “stay the course” and try to make it to the finish as soon as possible. I really don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer. Good luck!

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I say dive into #4 - unless you are already a pretty accomplished player, you might be spending some time with it like most of us did, so there's no time like the present to get started.
If you want to look at the MMBS in parallel with it, no problem, but I don't see any reason to put BGU on pause.

GOTGI

Blues Newbie
Bought MMBS and took a sneak peek at Solo 1. I guess I will throw that in first and then continue with BGU.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I think of BGU as an introduction to just about everything. As each new concept comes up you could jump off into a complete course on that one new concept alone. Or you could wait and sample the entire buffet first, then come back for more of anything you liked in particular.

But specifically, BGU Solos 4 & 5 are still in Boxes 1 & 2. Griff finishes up the neck in Lesson 27. So MMBS Solo 1 and BGU Solos 4 & 5 cover the same area.

You then might want to go on to BGU Lesson 27 before moving on in either course.

One advantage of checking out MMBS now is that Griff stresses playing the Boxes from the root note, rather than just from the lowest note in the Box. I think the earlier you start doing this, the better.

Last edited:

GOTGI

Blues Newbie
But specifically, BGU Solos 4 & 5 are still in Boxes 1 & 2. Griff finishes up the neck in Lesson 27. So MMBS Solo 1 and BGU Solos 4 & 5 cover the same area.

You then might want to go on to BGU Lesson 27 before moving on in either course.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind.

Rob63

Make It Your Own
Hey Guys,
I don´t know if this question has been a topic here before.
Just finished Solo 3 (after several months). Now that Solo 4 (a real beast) is coming up, it´s the first time Griff talks about switching between Major and Minor Blues Scale. Shall I continue with the solo or would it make more sense to stop right here and do the MMBS course first? Thanks for your help.
Stay the course.....my personal experience is that jumping around from course to course can be a distraction from focusing on the task at hand. As Griff says earlier in BGU "even if you get only 80% of it down keep moving on".....then when finished BGU you can keep coming back to fine tune the solo. Unfortunately I was doing "perfection" thing to far into the course(and other vids). Then when going back I found it easier to play.