Solo 3, Tendon Injuries, Solo 4, Next Steps...

dwparker

Bluesologist
Solo 3 has been a nightmare for me. While initially learning it I damaged the tendons in my fretting hand by using incorrect bending techniques while trying to play at performance speed. This happened sometime at the end of September and I really coundn't play for about a month. I started playing again sometime in November but needed to take it easy and figure out a bending technique that works for me, and I switched from 10's to 9's, and now 8's, which I really like. I also spent a lot of time reviewing earlier non-solo lessons and went ahead and did the next two lessons before solo 4.

I am now back into solo 3 and can play it at the slow speed without any serious issues, but I am REALLY hesitant to try playing it at performance speed because my bending technique starts to fall apart again at higher tempos. I realize I should just move on and that things will sort themselves out over time, but the thought of starting solo 4 after about 5 months on solo 3 and my injury just makes me want to literally smash my guitar at this point. I"m thinking of taking a break from BBU and maybe doing the strumming and rythm mastery course or something else. But maybe I just need to man up and push myself through to the end of BGU, as I am still committed to mastering the course material. Thoughts?

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Solo 3 has been a nightmare for me. While initially learning it I damaged the tendons in my fretting hand by using incorrect bending techniques while trying to play at performance speed. This happened sometime at the end of September and I really coundn't play for about a month. I started playing again sometime in November but needed to take it easy and figure out a bending technique that works for me, and I switched from 10's to 9's, and now 8's, which I really like. I also spent a lot of time reviewing earlier non-solo lessons and went ahead and did the next two lessons before solo 4.

I am now back into solo 3 and can play it at the slow speed without any serious issues, but I am REALLY hesitant to try playing it at performance speed because my bending technique starts to fall apart again at higher tempos. I realize I should just move on and that things will sort themselves out over time, but the thought of starting solo 4 after about 5 months on solo 3 and my injury just makes me want to literally smash my guitar at this point. I"m thinking of taking a break from BBU and maybe doing the strumming and rythm mastery course or something else. But maybe I just need to man up and push myself through to the end of BGU, as I am still committed to mastering the course material. Thoughts?

I think you answered your own question when you wrote: "I realize I should just move on and that things will sort themselves out over time..."

I think that if you continue to force yourself to do something that is physiologically painful will only serve to compound your frustrations.

I jammed the middle finger of my fretting hand a few months ago and couldn't finger a "D-chord". But it was OK for soloing and so I have focused on that and over time the stiffness has eased off and gotten better.
I still have some trouble with the D-chord but after I warm up it gets better. And an added benefit has been that I'm developing a better -- more fingertip oriented -- technique for that chord so it's kind of a blessing I suppose.

I'd suggest that you work on other things in the meantime and I'd bet that not only will your tendon issues improve but you'll also develop some other techniques or workarounds that will actually improve your playing overall.

Give it time.

Last edited:

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I think the key is to only play it as fast as you can maintain proper technique, if that means going on to others things for a bit, then there's you answer

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Have you seen a doctor and had physical therapy? I hope that you fully recover and soon. Take it easy and do not allow your self to be injured by doing something that you know has hurt you.

A hand exerciser can help.

Amazon.com : PROHANDS Gripmaster Rehab Hand Exerciser, Finger Exerciser (Hand Grip Strengthener), Spring-Loaded, Finger-Piston System, Added Palm Cushion, (0.75 lb XX-Light Tension, Tan-Gripmaster Rehab) : Hand Strengtheners : Sports & Outdoors

Start with the lowest tension. If it hurts - STOP! If it does not hurt - build up to five reps. Hold the grip palm up. Then rotate 90 degrees and do five more reps. Rotate 90 degrees and add five reps. Rotate 90 degrees and do five more reps. When finished, shake your hands out to release any pressure. If you have any pain at any time STOP!

You goal is to build up to 25 reps in each of the four positions, three times a day.

Proper technique is so important! It is something I have always stressed to all my students, and fellow musicians.

The 0.75 lb tension is the best selection if you have an injury. Make haste slowly! You can build up to a higher tension over time, but your goal should be rehabilitation and building up your strength and endurance.

Tom

Robb H

Blues Newbie
I'm not familiar with that particular solo but what if you used slides instead of bends until you're healed? I say this as I was complaining to a friend about my bends not hitting proper pitch while discussing Santana's Europa. He is an accomplished/performing guitarist and used to play that song back in the day. He said he used to play it with a lot of slides. And he can definitely bend. I've taken to sliding when playing the national anthem and Wish You Were Here but still try to work on bends as well.

dwparker

Bluesologist
Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated. I guess I wasn't clear in my initial post, but my hand is healed now. I do take breaks every 20-30 minutes while practicing and spend about 5 to 10 minutes practicing just bends with good technique, and I am taking my warmups more seriously. I guess my gripe is I burned myself out on BGU after 4 months on solo 3 because of the injury. I just think I might need a little break from BGU, and find something else to work on for a few months till I get my motivation back.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
There's a track in the VJR called "AmStill Got the Blues" which is what it says, and I've been using it as a backing track for a few weeks, and practising my whole-tone bends against it. Besides practice for bends, it's a cool track to jam with. Thanks to @Caboburt for uploading it.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
As far as bending goes, jazz players who use heavy gauge strings generally prefer to use slides instead of bends which can sound just as good.