Slow Dm

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
Sorry to hear about the stroke Paleo. Sounds like you came out of it pretty good, at least as far as the guitar playing goes. I hope that you won’t experience any lasting issues and I look forward to your continued participation down here in the VJR:Beer::Beer::Beer:.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Ah man that sucks!!! Sorry to hear that Paleo:( That was excellent in the circumstances!!!!(y) Timing good, co-ordination good and even working the high notes!!:eek: Well done.(y) Hope you make a full recovery bro, you'll be in my prayers.

Elwood

Blues
I'm in from 13:32 - 15:42.

This is the thinline. The first time since I did the full copper foil shielding thing and swapped out the 1 meg pots for CTS 250k w/ .o22 cap. This got rid of the dog whistle highs and put more tones where I will use them. I still hear a few highs :). I also added the jack mount that I prefer and added a pure tone (I think) jack with dual contacts. Now I can use a right angle plug until I'm done and the guitar is dead quiet. Love the changes!

Thanks for hanging this out there Bill.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/kozmhzpuj73g2pe/-rome-paleo-elwood-.mp3?dl=0

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I'm in from 13:32 - 15:42.

This is the thinline. The first time since I did the full copper foil shielding thing and swapped out the 1 meg pots for CTS 250k w/ .o22 cap. 0

I have no idea what any of that means but whatever it is, it sounds good:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.

Elwood

Blues
Ha, thanks Ted!

Decoded; I took my month old Fender Deluxe Thinline Telecaster (MIM) and shielded both pickup cavities and the control cavity with copper foil tape and a little wire (grounded bridge plate, neck p/u cover). I twisted the long leads going to the neck p/u and shielded that channel also. The OEM capacitor was a .022, I just used my own orange drop with a lightly larger body. The vol and tone control pots were 1 meg ohm. This is standard with the noiseless Fender single coils and helps give them that "clear, airy" sound. My thinline was real bright so I changed to what is standard for most single coil pick ups, 250k ohm. From what I have read I should have a dark muddy sound, I hear otherwise. I swapped in some heavy, deep knurled, dome top, narrow diameter knobs, They feel nice. The output jack on many telecasters does not accept a 90 degree plug, it almost goes in and then pops out. The jack plate I use is funneled and I adjust the jack up so the plug engages fully. a switchcraft jack is fine, I just thought I would try this one. It does grip tight. Fresh strings and tweak the pick up ht a bit and Voila!
I would not have done this at all but the guitar really had some buzzing going on with no hands on it. Sometimes it was kind of like a theramin, touch it here and get one sound, over there another. it is all quiet now.

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
Thanks Moto & MM. Since I was trying to hear "just the guitar" this is also the first time (duh) I've tried just plugging right into the Mackie digital audio interface (no amp). The levels seemed easy to control. The guitar tones sound pretty OK, but considering they are not flavored by an amp I may just have a winner. I can add lots of this and that with the amp controls. I just used a little reverb, eq, and compression from Reaper on that one.