Miscellaneous Show us your Guitar,Amp,Pedalboard

DavidCayTex

Lovin’ every minute of it
Not a bad setup at all! I've got that same Acoustikar for an acoustic sim. It's not an acoustic for sure, but it sounds good to my ear. That HoF reverb is my current reverb of choice. It does a good job. I think mine's set to Hall. Have you ever figured out the MASH thing on it? I haven't.
Mash button. Nope haven’t figured it out yet. Haven’t really tried. Got enough stuff on it to figure out before I get to that one.

DavidCayTex

That's a happy little setup!
I've never considered an acoustic sim, interesting choice.
I have been using the Jumbo setting that get me the closest to an acoustic sound. I play a good bit of country and prefer one of my acoustics but I’ve learned a couple solos that need the electric. Hence I can now switch in the middle of the song.

DavidCayTex

Not a bad setup at all! I've got that same Acoustikar for an acoustic sim. It's not an acoustic for sure, but it sounds good to my ear. That HoF reverb is my current reverb of choice. It does a good job. I think mine's set to Hall. Have you ever figured out the MASH thing on it? I haven't.
@snarf this is the 2nd Acoustikar i got. I returned the 1st one right away because it made a loud click (when pushed) through the chain and out of the speakers. The new one is ok.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Got my buddy back. It had a weird problem where sometimes selecting the bridge pickup was just dead silent. The shop never could reproduce the problem but I'm sure it was either a sticky selector switch or a loose connection somewhere at the switch.

I had them just replace the switch regardless, which should fix it in either case. I'm more than capable of replacing it myself but didn't want to deal with it and it was cheap to have it done.

prs_with_cube_20oct2021.jpg

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
It had a weird problem where sometimes selecting the bridge pickup was just dead silent.
I actually had that problem with an Epiphone for a while. Only difference was that it was random as to the pickup and when it would happen. I might switch from the neck to the bridge and the bridge wouldn't work or it might be from the bridge to the neck and the neck wouldn't work. And there was no predicting when it might or might not happen. Saw Phil McKnight mention once that he'd use that Deoxit stuff on switches when they were being flakey like that. Sprayed that on the switch, and haven't had any problems with it since.

Might not've fixed your problem, but if you have a guitar do that in the future, you might give it a shot (literally - a shot of deoxit). Might keep you from having to visit your luthier and save you a few bucks on parts replacement.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
So, don't get me wrong: I think the Spark is a great practice amp and (if you're willing to spend a lot of time searching for presets or building them yourself) it can sound really good.

That being said, as I (very slowly) work on being able to do some soloing, I decided I wanted to hear the kind of sound I'd actually be recording if recording I do. I dragged out the Quilter and hooked it up, and...sonic bliss. No messing around with an app and having to look at a screen to see how the amp is set up: just look at the knobs. The Quilter has multiple voices, too, but for whatever reason I so much prefer just twisting real knobs.

And the clarity. A favorite test is to strum open D and G chords, switching back and forth between base, sus2, and sus4, and if there's too much muddy gain to clearly hear the difference in the chords I feel there's a problem. Getting that clarity (even with a fair bit of gain) on the Quilter is, well, effortless.

Anyway, just enthusing a little. Been a while since I played through this thing and I'm asking myself why I ever stopped. Without further ado: my favorite matchup:

prs with quilter 10jan2022.jpg

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
...And the clarity. A favorite test is to strum open D and G chords, switching back and forth between base, sus2, and sus4, and if there's too much muddy gain to clearly hear the difference in the chords I feel there's a problem. Getting that clarity (even with a fair bit of gain) on the Quilter is, well, effortless...

Small world!
I do the same thing!
I play a D5 then Cadd9 and then a plain old G.

BTW, one alternative to the G that sounds really good and eliminates any potential muddiness is to play either a G5/D or just a plain G5 instead of the full G.
Both are basically the "treble" side of a G chord without the heaviness of the 5th and 6th strings.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Got my little recording studio set up. Quilter direct out running into the Focusrite, and that into my laptop running Logic Pro. To get the gain up where I needed it I had to turn the master of the Quilter up enough where disconnecting the cab was a must so as to preserve domestic peace. Everything feeds into the earphones connected to the Focusrite so that's just as well. Just recorded a test solo over a backing track and the levels seemed good.

my recording studio 29jan2022.jpg

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Got my little recording studio set up. Quilter direct out running into the Focusrite, and that into my laptop running Logic Pro. To get the gain up where I needed it I had to turn the master of the Quilter up enough where disconnecting the cab was a must so as to preserve domestic peace. Everything feeds into the earphones connected to the Focusrite so that's just as well. Just recorded a test solo over a backing track and the levels seemed good.

View attachment 15857

Isn't it hard to step on those keys when you change effects?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
So, upping the complexity factor of this recording stuff. This time I have an acoustic (well, my Acoustasonic) and a vocals mic plugged into my BOSS "Acoustic Singer Live" amp, with each channel feeding one channel of my Focusrite. Running Logic Pro on the laptop (had to haunt YouTube for a while until I sussed out how to get multi track stuff working like it should). I borrowed a page from the @MikeS playbook and bought a karaoke style backing track for the song I'm working on, and that's set in place on the DAW as well.

Now for the hard part: actually pulling off the song I want to do. :Beer:

acoustic_recording_rig.jpg

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
After branching out into two pedalboard's worth of stompboxes, I've recently decided to downsize to something more sane,

With the exception of the occasional desire to add a fuzz, a wah or some other "hardly-ever-used" bit of kit -- which turns out to be quite a rare occurrence -- this is what my current board looks like.

feb22board.jpg

Basic four-wire setup with the top row piped into the FX loop while the bottom row goes directly into the preamp.

The three distortion pedals work quite well either alone or in various "stacked" configurations while the EP Boost adds a bit of "pop" when needed.
The HOF (original), the D-seed delay and the Chorus I sometimes use together or individually (or not at all) while the EQ evens out whatever spikes or dropouts that may appear (another rarity) and the Compressor works well with clean tones (sustain) or to add some fullness to whatever crunch I may have dialed in.

Overall, this setup is great for just about every style I can think of playing with the exception of truly hard-core metal (though I do have some additional pedals for that too if the mood strikes).

Nice and simple and it travels well in it's own softcase with a shoulder strap when needed!

No doubt the urge to change things will one day appear, but for now and the foreseeable future this rig satisfies 90% of what I'd ever really need (with the operative phrase being "really need").