Short story long

ronico

rainyislandblues
Was jamming with old friends (35yrs) last weekend. My bud H plays guit and does vocals and the lovely and talented D plays an assortment of recorders and harmonicas. Anyway she got a taylor mini gs koa to start playing I and played it for awhile and loved it. Anyway got craigslisting , pawnshopping etc locally no joy then was looking at new at another major retailer. On the way out picked up and feel in love, at almost half price, new, aTW4eKOA Tanglewood. Must have been stuck on Koa brainwise but for $390 taxes in it's un believably pretty plays awesome.QC excellent not a flaw can find in finish, frets,binding(back front rosette neck head stock) Anyway got my KOA fix and could not be more impressed. Not a big brand here but i'm very impressed for the quality/value ' UK mobsters wanna chime in? I was actually heading for the door and erk is that Koa. Sorry maybe pics later cuz ya know....

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Was jamming with old friends (35yrs) last weekend. My bud H plays guit and does vocals and the lovely and talented D plays an assortment of recorders and harmonicas. Anyway she got a taylor mini gs koa to start playing I and played it for awhile and loved it. Anyway got craigslisting , pawnshopping etc locally no joy then was looking at new at another major retailer. On the way out picked up and feel in love, at almost half price, new, aTW4eKOA Tanglewood. Must have been stuck on Koa brainwise but for $390 taxes in it's un believably pretty plays awesome.QC excellent not a flaw can find in finish, frets,binding(back front rosette neck head stock) Anyway got my KOA fix and could not be more impressed. Not a big brand here but i'm very impressed for the quality/value ' UK mobsters wanna chime in? I was actually heading for the door and erk is that Koa. Sorry maybe pics later cuz ya know....

Very nice... I think you will be happy with the tanglewood over the mini... I had a mini and it sounded great but the fretboard felt really camped after playing it for a bit... Enjoy your new guitar... And yes, pictures please...

Elwood

Blues
Congrats!!! Sounds great! I love little guitars, used this one on lots of tracks here. I bet you will love that Tanglewood too!!! :Beer:
upload_2020-10-22_8-46-32.png

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
if it feels good in your hands and sounds good to your ears, it's a winner...a lot of great music has been made on "no-brand" gear...enjoy it and have fun...btw, sounded like one of those "too good to pass up" deals...later.

cowboy

fwiw...one of my favorite guitars was a 3/4 size Goya given to me 50+ years ago...still have it...

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Don't know about the koa but. I love my 12 string tanglewood. Well made and sound good for the price. Played well out of the box. Highly recommended.

Cheers

Al

ronico

rainyislandblues
Here's some pics (I think) of the new kid in the 'hood with a Taylor 214dlx cocoferra I got in the early spring, as a size comparison. The Tanglewood is about an inch and a half smaller than the Taylor. Same comparison to a Larivee LV03 and a Martin PA series, about 1 1/2 in. all round the body. Plays pretty bright , being all solid Koa, but I suppose it'll tone down a bit when it breaks in. This one's a good candidate for a touch of EQ via a lrbaggs Para di

Attachments

• IMG_20201022_154126_311.jpg
    IMG_20201022_154126_311.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20201022_154334_267.jpg
    IMG_20201022_154334_267.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20201022_154606_666.jpg
    IMG_20201022_154606_666.jpg
    974 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20201022_154652_366.jpg
    IMG_20201022_154652_366.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20201022_154259_446.jpg
    IMG_20201022_154259_446.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

ronico

rainyislandblues
@jackderby52 . Yes really enjoying it! Had a mini Martin a few years back so know what you mean. That's not why I got rid of it though, couldn't stand those laminated necks. Had a Martin econo 12string that went back for the same reason. Probablystable as hell but not for me thankyou.

Elwood

Blues
Is that a Koa Mini Elwood? Cute little thing(y)
Yes, :thumbup: thank you, (y) and Isn't it though! :D
It's small, light, sounds great in a room or in a mix, and tough as nails. This one has been under my arm when my body went unattended. Klang a jang jang. Not a mark, didn't even go out of tune. Naw, I love it!
That's my little buddy for when I otherwise wouldn't play, or go play with the kids, or if I want some blues acoustic with attitude...yessir! Skunk stripe is kinda cool too! But ----
Little guitars, I love 'em. The largest guitar I play regularly is my thinline tele. This all started because I have a little "hitch in my get along" so big heavy instruments hurt. I found smaller lighter stuff is really fun for me just in general.

I bet you'll go nuts over your Tanglewood, they look very nice indeed! Let us Know!!!

I just saw your pics...Wow!!! The koa will warm up. Try different strings and maybe try to move your picking a bit towards the neck, you can get a lot of warm up while the koa warms up. Very cool!!!:Beer:

Last edited:

ronico

rainyislandblues
Must be slowing down. Obviously I can get some Taylor mini Koa time anytime! Love it when the circle closes! LOL! Gear swap time? This could be fun!