Seq. of 4's

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
Anybody having problems with this. I get stuck all the time with lifting and bending 1st and 3rd fingers for the strings . maybe i'm in a hurry .I don't know and then to play triplets .ahh. I'm sure I'll get it but it really irks me. Seq. of 3's are fine.

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Yeah, the sequences of 4 are a lot tougher than the 3's, especially going from the low strings to the high.  Going high to low is easier because you can roll the first & third finger back to hit the required notes.   I don't practice these as much as I should.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Take your time mr.scary!  When you get to one that it tough, slow it to the speed which can accomplish the exercise and then practice it at that speed until you are confident you got it nailed!  then speed it up.  You can move on to other exercises and skill development as you work on "that though one"........

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
When you do slurs and pull offs I notice I am not alternite picking , should I be or down picks and then up picks?

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I try to use alternate picking as much a I can.  I don't beat myself up if I don't.  Alternate picking is faster, using pull-offs, and hammer-on are also faster.  If you can combine the them you will be faster.  If speed is your goal.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
When you do slurs and pull offs I notice I am not alternite picking , should I be or down picks and then up picks?
When working on a riff and trying to speed it up, I always slow down to the point of blowing chunks :sick: , and with each pick stroke, decide what is best here to get to the next note, upstroke or downstroke? Also, would a pull off or hammer work better?

I am not a very fast player so I need all the help I can get.

It's also hard to unlearn what your fingers already know, so when learning a new lick, I always break it down, note by freakin note. Thinkin about it just sickens me. :sick::sick::sick:.

But it seems to work.

Last edited:

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Mr. Scary -

You'll get it. The answer to 'how' is right there in front of you now. You just haven't seen it yet.

See you down the road! :thumbup: