Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

ToddMartin

Blues Newbie
Griff,

I was looking back at the analysis session of this song. According to Standard Harmony Rules, which you mention frequently in this course, the V chord is a dominant 7. However, in this song sheet, the V chord is listed as Eb. Why not Eb7? Do we play Eb major or Eb7 for this chord, or does it not matter?

Love your courses! You do a tremendous job of teaching music, not just demonstrating licks and riffs. Thanks for offering your time in the All Access sessions.

Regards,
TM

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
1) The rule doesn't apply to blues
2) Eb7 can be substituted for Eb if it's the V.

BTW: Since this is an AAP question, I'm gonna move this to the AAP area

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Since this isn't a blues, the Standard Harmony Rule applies; the I, IV and V are Major.

If you add a 7th to each chord the I and IV become Maj7 chords and the V becomes a Dom7 chord.
("Guitar Theory Made Useful (And Easy)", Lesson 14)

In Ab Major, Eb is the V chord. You can increase its "dominant function" by adding the b7 (Eb7=V7).

Or not.

Even in a Blues "in Ab", the Eb7 is the only 7 chord that is actually in the Key of Ab. :)

BTW: In Griff's email lesson today (Dec 9) he describes using the Ab Major scale harmonized in 3rds.

Which wouldn't work over a Blues in Ab. :whistle:

(But harmonizing the Mixolydian of each chord would. (BGU Lesson 29) :sneaky:)

Last edited:

ToddMartin

Blues Newbie
1) The rule doesn't apply to blues
2) Eb7 can be substituted for Eb if it's the V.

BTW: Since this is an AAP question, I'm gonna move this to the AAP area
Thanks for the reply and for moving to the proper forum. This is the first AAP session I've attended live (although I've watched several recorded ones), so I missed that there is a separate forum for this.

ToddMartin

Blues Newbie
Since this isn't a blues, the Standard Harmony Rule applies; the I, IV and V are Major.

If you add a 7th to each chord the I and IV become Maj7 chords and the V becomes a Dom7 chord.
("Guitar Theory Made Useful (And Easy)", Lesson 14)

In Ab Major, Eb is the V chord. You can increase its "dominant function" by adding the b7 (Eb7=V7).

Or not.

Even in a Blues "in Ab", the Eb7 is the only 7 chord that is actually in the Key of Ab. :)

BTW: In Griff's email lesson today (Dec 9) he describes using the Ab Major scale harmonized in 3rds.

Which wouldn't work over a Blues in Ab. :whistle:

(But harmonizing the Mixolydian of each chord would. (BGU Lesson 29) :sneaky:)
Thanks for the helpful reply. It surely is clear the Griff is playing the Eb7 chord in this, but I was just wondering why the notation wouldn't reflect the dominant 7 chord. I had learned to identify the key (for a non-blues song) by looking for the dominant 7 chord, but in this case that wouldn't work. You have to identify the key first (which can easily be done by seeing the Db & Eb major chords as Griff mentions), and then applying the dom7 chord as you see fit.

My takeaway from this discussion is you can optionally apply the appropriate 7th to any of the chords (depending on the sound you are seeking) even if the 7 is not reflected in the chord notation.

Yes, the email lesson today was very cool (although my tele makes it very difficult to access that Ab at the 21st fret!).

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
My takeaway from this discussion is you can optionally apply the appropriate 7th to any of the chords (depending on the sound you are seeking) even if the 7 is not reflected in the chord notation.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

There's also less movement (and better voice leading) in playing the Ab as an E-shape chord and the Eb7 as a C7-shape on the same 3 frets. :)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks for the reply and for moving to the proper forum. This is the first AAP session I've attended live (although I've watched several recorded ones), so I missed that there is a separate forum for this.

Glad you could join us live!
No worries, that's one of the things the mods are here for.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
@ToddMartin

Just a couple of quick comments based on a re-watch of Monday's session.

13:00 to 16:30 Griff talks about how you could use Db Maj7 and about using the Eb7.

23:30 to 23:50 When discussing "bass movement" you'll see him use both the A and C shapes for the Eb7, each for half a measure.

Last edited:

artyman

Fareham UK
Our take on this song, it's an extract from a DVD that we produced for the Retirement Homes that we used to visit pre COVID, in the absence of being able to visit them this Christmas. @22:40 if you want to jump to "Rocking Around The Christmas Tree" ( Can't seem to put a time link video )

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Our take on this song, it's an extract from a DVD that we produced for the Retirement Homes that we used to visit pre COVID, in the absence of being able to visit them this Christmas. @22:40 if you want to jump to "Rocking Around The Christmas Tree" ( Can't seem to put a time link video )

Excellent!!! Thanks for sharing.