Rocket 88 (Jackie Brenston)

Elwood

Blues
I saw James Cotton do this, awesome! Didn't sound anything like this. (story time; I was at the "Aquarius" an old venue in Seattle. The name of the place kinda sets the date. The last break I went to the men's room and there, the only available convenience was next to James. I said something lame like how I liked what they played ((newer funky bluesy stuff, good)) but I sure miss that rocket 88. He says "you like that old stuff huh?" That was it. They started the next set with this and went on for an hour just rattling stuff off tables. The James Cotton Blues Band, what a powerhouse!)

This is another of my solo acoustic "sitting on the porch" attempts. Choppy but it goes by fast, so do I, my "barrelhouse" chops need work. Hope you get the idea.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvyeprz29i5ko6c/rocket 88.mp3?dl=0

Elwood

Blues
'51, same same bro. Old? I resemble that remark! Love that link. Here's James Cotton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Iv3DzeUHw8

I'd like to get that bass rhythm kinda loping along like a big block with a cam idling, oh yeah, and a few fills..and...and.... :whistle:

(I own up to altering a few words. "down to the corner, get a fifth, everybody in my car gonna get a lil nip", fun words but I would never want my grandkids to think that was cool, or to cause someone with loss to endure more pain, I sorta made the song with a "modern design", with good intentions..)

Last edited:

Rad

Blues Newbie
'51, same same bro. Old? I resemble that remark! Love that link. Here's James Cotton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Iv3DzeUHw8

I'd like to get that bass rhythm kinda loping along like a big block with a cam idling, oh yeah, and a few fills..and...and.... :whistle:

(I own up to altering a few words. "down to the corner, get a fifth, everybody in my car gonna get a lil nip", fun words but I would never want my grandkids to think that was cool, or to cause someone with loss to endure more pain, I sorta made the song with a "modern design", with good intentions..)

Words in songs back then we thought nothing of. I no longer do, Hey Joe. It is just to real, almost daily headline stuff.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Cool!
That one shows up frequently on Sirius radio, BluesVille.

I can tell this is something you enjoy, your playing style reflects that:thumbup:
Really hopp'n right along there:)
Sounds good to me!
Recording acoustic can be challenging......you done good.

Elwood

Blues
Interesting Cap'n. Never listened to Sirius, my Ford has a window sticker though. :D

Guilty as charged. I do love this stuff! Folks talk about sitting and standing. If I start out sitting playing this, I end up standing anyway. Too much fun. (one more reason why we do not need video)

Fun, now Papa once issued a reminder that we ain't doing hit records here. Either with that in mind, or as an excuse afterwards, I just beat the tar out of the 314, hit some good ones and hit some others. It's bound to get better.:Beer:

TZ talked about playing and singing, @Ted_Zeppelin, why don't you start beating on this tune? It's hard to do one without the other, and you can make it any ol style you like.

Recording. With the Taylors I use a direct input to my Mackie interface for one source. I take my (el cheapo) MXL 990 and it gets room noise, vocals, string "splash" from what I'm playing, and hopefully not much else. So for the guitar I can eq and effect all I want on the DI side. The mic I try to not aim the sound hole at. I set it for singing so depending if I stand or sit it gets more bass (more bass when I sit on my b- - a$$) or less standing (sound hole closer to the mic?). At my current state of tech the mic channel gets eq'ed etc to compromise, to get what is my best chance of not driving ya'll off with my caterwallin, and bring in some airy high stuff for the guitar. The 314 (on this track) is brighter naturally, spruce top and all. My mini just kicks with that cool percussive hog sound, even though it is koa. With either it seems you really have to watch the LF stuff or it will just kill it all.

Sort of a two cans and a string approach to my recording with acoustics. I do appreciate you saying that though. You know I was fussy about what I wanted them to sound like. This is getting mo betta to me.

Thanks bro!

Last edited: