RIP Charlie Daniels

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
No, he isn't what I would consider a blues musician in the strictest sense of the word. But I'm willing to bet there are some on here (besides me) that listened to "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" a lot of times. And some of his other country rock stuff. Best known for his fiddle I've seen him find his way around his Les Paul fairly well also!

Charlie Daniels passed away this morning at the age of 83.

'What a hero': Charlie Daniels mourned by Luke Combs, Meghan McCain, Luke Bryan, more stars

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
New Year's Eve 1973 was the best concert I've ever been to. It was the Allman Brothers Band headlining.The Marshall Tucker Band and the opener, a fellow I had just started hearing on mainstream rock radio for "Uneasy Rider", Charlie Daniels (and band).
It didn't hurt that Gerry Garcia and Bill Kreutzmann of the Dead joined the Brothers at midnite.
RIP Charlie.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Charlie could play the blues, at a Jerry Jeff Walker concert in Phoenix years ago Charlie Daniels was playing at ASU the next night and was in the house Jerry ask him to come up and play a couple songs and he did----none of his hits or anything----he let loose with a couple a blues numbers--don't remember what they were but he took the house down...Only time I saw him in person.

Jesus walked on the water
I know that it's true
but sometimes I think that ole preacher man
would like to do a little walking too

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
This is where I bust out calling some people here a bunch of Damn Yankees!

Charlie has one nationwide hit, but many that were regional hits in The South...
Kevin

I agree with ya ol' Son. But what many don't realize is that he was a heck of a song writer AND a sculptor.

Here is one of my favorites:

Here is Charlie's sculpture of Chris LeDoux.

38bdad459359db56a418431a2a5f8c74--charlie-daniels-ledoux.jpg

matonanjin

I agree with ya ol' Son. But what many don't realize is that he was a heck of a song writer AND a sculptor.

Here is one of my favorites:
I had no idea. My wife and I love and collect western art and have a few items in our collection. But we never knew of Charlie being a sculptor.

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
And some day I'll tell you, @Cowboy Bob, about the time I had coffee with Chris LeDoux:)
Yup. I didn't have coffee with him but we talked music and the road for a while. He was bronc riding, and I was bull dogging and heading. I was a mere kid of 20 at the time. I talked to him again years later at a show at the Surf Ballroom shortly before he passed and asked if he remembered me. LOL No reason he should but he was very gracious.

matonanjin

I guess it's ok to veer my thread off topic. ;) We were at a horse show in Missouri. Got to the showgrounds and were told we couldn't warm up our horses because the arena was being set up for a concert that night. The concert was by some guy I had never heard of, Chris LeDoux. We were all mad and put our horses away.
The next morning I was walking my dog in the hotel parking lot with a cup of coffee in my hand. There was a guy leaning up against my horse trailer drinking his coffee. I walked over to my trailer and got something out of the dressing room and he sort of apologized. I, of course, didn't care and told him not to worry about it. We chatted for a good 20 minutes and at some point he introduced himself as Chris LeDoux. As you said, "very gracious". Just the nicest guy and we had a really pleasant conversation.
We got home and I asked my son, who was riding bulls at the time, if he had ever heard of some guy named Chris LeDoux. He told me he was his favorite singer. I said, "Really!? I just had coffee with him!:D" He was furious I didn't get an autograph..

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
What the world needs is a few more rednecks...
Kevin
Well, Kevin, my neck is about as red as a redneck's neck can get.
If political thoughts were OK on here all of you would know that.
Charlie Daniels did ten thousand times more than I could possibly ever do to further those views in America.
He is one of my heroes. I will miss him.
He could play the blues, but he was a country artist trying to make a living.

I myself spent 5 years playing in an outlaw country band on the bar circuit. It was either that or not go to college. In that part of the country you either played country or you didn't work, simple as that.
I have country roots. My daddy was a rodeo announcer and I rode bareback broncs in high school (and got throwed more times than I can count ... probably what's wrong with my head today).

After college I ended up in Phoenix and belonged to the Arizona Songwriter's Association. Here is one of my only two surviving recordings from then. There is nobody on the recording but me. This was about 1980 and recording gear wasn't anything like it is today. It was done in my apartment on an old Fostex simul-sync 4-track cassette recorder, no amp, just an old funky delay pedal.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/or62qd2zae4emdg/UnknownAlbum - UnknownArtist - It Hurts To Think I'm Stupid.mp3?dl=0

I'm the one in the hat.
Cactus Jack 1.jpg

Last edited: