Regarding Melodyne Essentials

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
The deeper I get into all these programs, the less music I'm making.:oops:

For me, it's more of a case of "how" I'm making music. I just spent the morning putting together a drum track for a jam track. So far it has been a whole lot of fun and I have to say that working with MIDI drums (scratch drumming, not loops) is definitely changing the way I hear tempo.

Having said that, a lot of the people in the Studio One community are people with zero to very little musical knowledge and they are using the tools in Studio One to compensate for their lack of knowledge. I'm trying to use Studio One in context with guitar and musical learning. At the end of the day, rather than trying to turn this into some cerebral journey, I'm having fun and learning a whole lot about the nuts and bolts of actual composition and technique.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I'm trying to use Studio One in context with guitar and musical learning. At the end of the day, rather than trying to turn this into some cerebral journey, I'm having fun and learning a whole lot about the nuts and bolts of actual composition and technique.

I'm trying to do both, that must be my problem.

images

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Wow! That's impressive.
View attachment 13208
It looks like it is quickly alternating between notes, but it most certainly is picking up more than one note at a time. You could definitely fix that on the MIDI piano roll to get rid of the trill sound. It's actually a lot easier to read than it appears at first glance. It's a timeline and all your notes are listed on the left. Your first chord (read vertically, bottom to top) is F#, A, C# (F# minor) , then G, B,D (G Major), A, C#, E, (A Major).
Each of those blobs within a string (left-to-right) is what Melodyne sees as a new note strike. So it's detecting one note, then detecting another note, and moving among the triad you are playing, kind of like the guy you used to see on Ed Sullivan who kept the plates spinning on top of sticks. It's certainly a lot better result than what I got with a canned piano track.

You'll notice that all the blobs are perfectly centered within their horizontal line, which indicates they are at (or very near) perfect pitch. Do this analysis with a voice recording and you'll see the blobs will be high or low in a pitch. You can actually grab those and move them around. On a voice, you can usually change them by a full semitone without the voice sounding altered. It's great to nudge a slightly off pitch back into pitch, too. I haven't spent any quality time with it, but it definitely qualifies as another rabbit-hole to explore.
In Cakewalk, there is a scripting language called CAL, and a really cool way to select all notes within a MIDI track that contain certain criteria (a certain length, above or below, certain pitches, or a MIDI event that was not a note, but was a controller or something) and you could then edit just those all at once. SUPER powerful.

It's possible, though I've never looked, S1 has that power. I don't have time to find out... but I'm answering @PapaRaptor's post for a reason ;)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
You said "You could definitely fix that on the MIDI piano roll to get rid of the trill sound."
I'm not sure how. I'd expect I'd need to stretch one "blob" over the duration of the string of "Blobs", but I'm not sure how to change the duration of a blob.

Here's how one of those groups of "blobs" is represented in the Presence XT MIDI editor. This is after you used Melodyne and then dragged the audio file into a Presence XT (MIDI) channel.
Top inset is what it will look like as the blobs.
Second Inset shows the notes selected (changed color) using the Range Tool.
Third Inset shows after the Merge function. (Just press G on your keyboard to merge, or right click on one of the selected notes and select Merge from the drop box).
Fourth Inset shows the Merged note after it is no longer selected.
MergingMidiNotes.png

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks!
There's gonna be quite a learning curve here.
I've managed to merge notes, but somehow I've also managed to mute several. It'll be a long strange trip.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Thanks!
There's gonna be quite a learning curve here.
I've managed to merge notes, but somehow I've also managed to mute several. It'll be a long strange trip.
Captain Obvious tip of the day: Save your work, frequently!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Captain Obvious tip of the day: Save your work, frequently!

Can never get too much of Captain obvious.
Fortunately I was just playing around and never intended to keep it, so I just exited and didn't save.