Pleased as punch

susanmcgee

Blues Newbie
Have to say that having studied the Slow Blues Supplement for the last 6 months (I  can finally figure out whatever box I am in whenever I pick a random root with either a left facing minor third or right facing minor third, and I can move through the proper subsequent or previous boxes, which let me tell you is a huge gold star for me) was an immediate aid for me when I watched all three videos of SWS this morning and sat down to start Solo 1.  Previously I looked at SWS and it was over my head at the time so I put it down and started SBS. Now with that background I immediately could see that Solo No. 1 anchored in G was box 2 minor pentatonic, and because I had to fast forward to the plus one concept, I immedately understood that was just the back door into the next box. When you play the variations of Solo 1, they are just starting in other boxes. A "plus one" for susi's  musical confidence, wow 2 weeks in a row.  In a nutshell, SBS is a huge asset to studying SWS for me. Thanks for your time, susanmcgeeincalgary. 

giayank

Just another day in paradise
Glad you're feeling it susan ! SWS is my favorite course for just plain fun . I don't feel the tenseness that I do with some of the other material . For me it is an example of how I can create my own solo . Rather than trying to play somebody else's style and being frustrated at my lack of ability . [smiley=beer.gif]

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
In a nutshell, SBS is a huge asset to studying SWS for me.
I agree that SBS is one of the key courses that Griff offers.  It takes a bit of time to work through but is well worth the effort.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
I have also reached a point with SBS where I can move thru the left/right facing boxes using the respective root notes.  Many hours on the vamping track after looping it.
I also worked thou portions of SWS several months ago and just seemed to drift away from it.  I seem not to be happy with trying to find those great feeling notes.  Maybe I'll go back to basics with SWS again.
Ron

Ivan

Blues Newbie
So if I'm reading this thread correctly Slow Blues Supplement should come before Soloing Without Scales. Is that right?

I was thinking of getting into one of these courses in the new year but wasn't sure which one to tackle first. I'm currently working on BGU on solo #4.

Thanks.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
So if I'm reading this thread correctly Slow Blues Supplement should come before Soloing Without Scales. Is that right?

I was thinking of getting into one of these courses in the new year but wasn't sure which one to tackle first. I'm currently working on BGU on solo #4.

Thanks.

I don't think that's the case. I find SBS to be a much tougher course than SWS, and SWS is the course that really jump started my soloing. As I completed BGU (may 1/2 or 3/4  through it, I started SWS. SWS will help you move up and down the neck without having to memorize the boxes (But you SHOULD know the boxes all the same). Between what I learned in BGU and SWS, I've been able to create solos on the fly. Not great ones to be sure, but that's my creative limitation not a limitation of the courses.

Ivan

Blues Newbie

Thanks.

I don't think that's the case. I find SBS to be a much tougher course than SWS, and SWS is the course that really jump started my soloing. As I completed BGU (may 1/2 or 3/4  through it, I started SWS. SWS will help you move up and down the neck without having to memorize the boxes (But you SHOULD know the boxes all the same). Between what I learned in BGU and SWS, I've been able to create solos on the fly. Not great ones to be sure, but that's my creative limitation not a limitation of the courses.

Thanks Mike.....appreciate it.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Wow, Susan, that's really interesting. I would have never thought of the courses working in that order, but I can totally see how that could happen.

From a technique standpoint, SBS is hard. It was created for those folks who basically told me to "bring it" and pull out all the stops. The first few examples aren't out of control, but yeah... the last one is really tough :)

However, the process of seeing the fretboard in all those different ways is such a HUGE part of not ever getting lost and your mental model as a whole.

Thanks for posting that, it's super cool to hear about little "side benefits" like that.

Griff

dan5150

Shredding the Blues
Ditto to what Mike said. I too am about 1/3 the way through BGU, but I was still more comfortable with the "4-note solo" concept. I have since purchased and am working through SWS. Yes, I can also play all 5 patterns of the pentatonic scale, but still can't figure out how to make that useable.
SWS is helping me first focus on a few small moveable patterns. Which, as I slowly work through it, I am recognizing that they are basically just smaller parts of the boxes I already know. That is super cool because, if I stray out of the smaller patterns, I can start to see which notes will work.