Playing with my thumb...

B

bluesman60

I just recently started learning blues earnestly by getting the beginners course. I find that I seem to prefer the sound/feel of using my bare thumb vs a pick. Is this slowing down my progress? I know some great players use their thumb but is it the most efficient way to learn?
Thanks!

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
I've been playing with my thumb ever since I picked up the guitar 3 years ago.
I see nothing wrong with it at all..especially playing the blues.
After awhile you can start practicing with a pick if you want or (if you haven't already done so) start to incorporate a finger or two in the mix.
Some of the benefits of playing with the thumb are unlike picks a thumb is always there ready to play..also it's easy to find and pretty hard to lose.
After awhile I did learn that for me heavy repetitive strumming is best done with a pick.

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
also it's easy to find and pretty hard to lose.
Though not impossible ;D

I started learning with my thumb when I was a kid (no comments Strat) but decided that I personally liked the sound of a pick better. I try some thumb work every now and then, but picks are my preference. If that's what you like, go for it. The only thing that will hinder you is a closed mind and not practicing.  ;)

kgarkie

Been living the blues.
If you're going to play triplets, you may have to incorporate some fingers along with your thumb.  Robert Johnson, Lindsey Buckingham and Mark Knopfler come to mind. 

wgabree

Blues Newbie
If you're going to play triplets, you may have to incorporate some fingers along with your thumb.  Robert Johnson, Lindsey Buckingham and Mark Knopfler come to mind. 
not to mention Albert King, Freddy King (with aid of thumbpick) and Albert Collins.  Jimi Hendrix & Buddy Guy switched between pick and fingers fluidly.  Oh yeah, that Jeff Beck guy I blew off seeing in concert to play a round of King of the Blues! :p

I have mostly been a hybrid picker (pick held with thumb and index finger while also picking with middle, ring   & sometimes pinky) for most of the time I've played.

Since I've taken up bass, I've taken up finger picking as much as I can stand (it take a bit to build up those calluses!).  Starting to really like it!  :cool:

Double oh yeah - Hubert Sumlin!!!

And oh yeah - I don't think it will hold you back a bit if you are comfortable with it, but agree you may need assist from fingers for the triplets!

Wildwood

Playin' Blues
I just recently started learning blues earnestly by getting the beginners course. I find that I seem to prefer the sound/feel of using my bare thumb vs a pick. Is this slowing down my progress? I know some great players use their thumb but is it the most efficient way to learn?
Thanks!

I asked that same question about a year ago. I have been playing again for 5 or so years after a 30 year layoff. I always played with my thumb. Just liked the sound and tone better.

It wasn't until I started Soloing Without Scales that I started using a pick. And now it feels awkward NOT using one. I have become very comfortable and fluid with the pick. Alternate picking has improved my speed and it seems that palm muting is easier when using a pick. Go figure...

But it really comes down to what you are comfortable with. I tried several different thicknesses before I settled on a Fender Extra Heavy... :cool:

B

bluesman60

Thanks guys. I tried a thumb pick but it felt awkward. I like the tone that playing with my thumb produces. I'll never be a speed demon anyways so I guess I'll just thumb my way through the blues...

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed come to mind as guys that had a really cool technique of using their thumb, index, and middle fingers to get the speed up when they needed it.

As an exercise, try playing a simple exercise where you play the 5th, 7th, and 8th frets on every string starting with the 6th string and going to the 1st.

Use your thumb for 5th, middle for the 7th, and index for the 8th fret notes. You might find a different pattern works better for you, but that's the one I learned and I've used it.

Something to play with over the weekend anyway!

L

Lame_Pinkey

I have just been playing with the Shark ( Jackson JS32 ) & whilst doing so remembered this post so I tried the start of SWS solo # 1 funky/groovy/boogie thingie in G with index & thumb.Whilst the sound was very good & a bluesy/jazz type sound it was very confusing & had me reaching for Mr. Pick very quickly.I also found i was getting too many pinch harmonics from it, they are great when you want them but not when you don't.
I have all but given up ever being a finger picker as it just does not seem to work & more importantly feels very uncomfortable & unnatural to me.

Viva le Pick !

LP