Picking Technique

ToddMartin

Blues Newbie
I'm not talking ultra-fast shred-type picking. I struggle with picking consistent 1/16th notes even at moderate speeds around 80bpm.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Hi Todd. Sixteenth notes at 80bpm is pretty quick, really. There are a lot of things that can make it difficult to hold a consistent pace; here are a few things that occur to me.

Are you trying to play different notes with your fretting hand at the same time as picking? If so, try it on just one string with the string damped (muted) with your fretting hand. Basically just a drum-beat on one string, concentrating on that one single technique.

Get a metronome (online ones are plentiful), set it to 80bpm, AND count 1-eh-and-uh-2-eh-and-uh etc out loud while you're picking, as above.

Have you tried bigger/smaller picks? Also thinner/thicker? Getting something that's comfortable in your hand is really important; you don't want to be wasting effort in trying to keep hold of the pick, or keeping it pointed in the right direction. I use large, thick, triangular picks, and it took me years to establish that they are the ones for me.

Are you trying to play quietly? It's easy to fall into the trap of being embarrassed that somebody else will hear the horrible noises that you make - WRONG!!!! Hit the string firmly - again, you're wasting muscle effort in trying to play softly. That can come later, once you've got your picking worked out and functioning properly.

And if all of the above aren't the problem, can you tap your hand on the table in front of you at that tempo?

I hope this is helpful.

ToddMartin

Blues Newbie
Thanks ChrisGP for the suggestions. I started thinking about this topic while working on Killing Floor (Howlin' Wolf), which moves along at about 110 bpm. The faster picking all happens on one string at a time. I've been playing for a few years (I consider myself around early intermediate level), and I seem to have a plateau around 320-340 notes per minute that I have really struggle for a long time to get past. I've been practicing with the metronome as you suggested. I start at about 70 bpm, and work on playing 3 beats of 1/16th notes and 1 rest beat for a couple measures, and then gradually increasing tempo. I find it hard to keep playing consistent 1/16th notes for 3 beats above about 80 bpm.

I have just started experimenting with different picks and picking angles. Seems like the pointy Jazz III picks help, but I don't want to be confined to needing a specific type of pick. This is kind of what I was hoping maybe Griff could help sort out. For a blues player. what are some recommendations and pros/cons for different types of picks (thickness, material, size, shape), picking angles and motion, hand positions, etc.

As far as playing quietly, I'm usually playing through headphones using a Strymon Iridium amp/cab simulator. But, I certainly recognize your point.

TM

ToddMartin

Blues Newbie
Thanks ChrisGP for the suggestions. I started thinking about this topic while working on Killing Floor (Howlin' Wolf), which moves along at about 110 bpm. The faster picking all happens on one string at a time. I've been playing for a few years (I consider myself around early intermediate level), and I seem to have a plateau around 320-340 notes per minute that I have really struggle for a long time to get past. I've been practicing with the metronome as you suggested. I start at about 70 bpm, and work on playing 3 beats of 1/16th notes and 1 rest beat for a couple measures, and then gradually increasing tempo. I find it hard to keep playing consistent 1/16th notes for 3 beats above about 80 bpm.

I have just started experimenting with different picks and picking angles. Seems like the pointy Jazz III picks help, but I don't want to be confined to needing a specific type of pick. This is kind of what I was hoping maybe Griff could help sort out. For a blues player. what are some recommendations and pros/cons for different types of picks (thickness, material, size, shape), picking angles and motion, hand positions, etc.

As far as playing quietly, I'm usually playing through headphones using a Strymon Iridium amp/cab simulator. But, I certainly recognize your point.

TM
This is better than Howlin' Wolf: