Performing Tips

dougbriney

Blues Newbie
We did Kansas City, Mustang Sally, Rocky Mountain Way and Sympathy for the Devil (they loved that one).
Hi Anthony,
sounds like an awesome first time experience. I've noticed at most open mikes and jams the crowd is really supportive. Typically they're musicians too and know the jitters well.

Going to a jam today and we'll be playing "Sympathy" too. It's popular and easy to jam too.

Keep us posted on future performances!  :)

Doug

601blues

well I hate to discuss this subject,I get so many,not understandable,neg. feed back, BUT

1st of all your as good as you think of yourself, there are more BLUES Tunes,and all other styles,that are simply Based upon a 3 cord structure, and a nice hook, 1st of all Lead lines are the icing on the cake,if you don't or can't play a solid rhythm then how can you follow with lead, so I concentrate 1st of all in getting a sweet groove, when you get that, everybody listens, then top it off.
I see so many Players worried about their gear, Right guitar polished up right Amp set just so,right peddles at the choice setting etc. Then they show up in their street Cloths?????WTF??? Boring!! You are just as important as your polished Guitar, when you walk in a Juke, people gotta know just from looking at you that your there for BIZ. Look at Stevie Ray, BB King, etc. with any thing you can't wait to be before you dress to be, NO you dress to be what you wanna be!!! I can't tell you how many times or Jukes I have walked into, and people stopped and stared,and have been invited to the stage at everyone ahead of most, I had the op. to play Getto Woman with BB years back in the delta, just because of the way I dressed, I was noticed and BB commented on it him self!! when you get everyone excited without touching you axe,and people expect  the same when you play, and the simplest turns to them are fantastic! You have to be a showman, Develop a style that sets you apart, Thats what I love went I do a Delta Tour, I go into Jukes that are nothing more than a plywood box, stage made outta pallets, but the Black Blues playes women and men Dress down!! very exciting!! and when I walk in, i feel honored, and accepted, cause I do the same, I have been contacted by several Groups to give em a hand at gigs, once when I showed up, one guitar played had oil stains on the back of his T shirt, band looked like heck!! I didn't even get my gear, just left,

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I don't disagree at all. As you said, look at most professional acts they dress the part. A noticeable exception would be Clapton, who walks on stage at times in shorts and any old button down shirt. Of course when he plays with BB, he dresses up. It's all par tof the show right?
I'm not saying that you have to wear a tux, but you should give some thought to what you wear on stage. If you want to project the biker blues image, then tee shirt, jeans and boots work. (for instance, in my avatar picture, I'm playing at a "Bandana Ball" breast cancer benefit, and they asked us to wear bandanas. Bandana and tux just wouldn't work)
If you are playing in a more upscale place, dress accordingly.

601blues

Please, when I say dress, everyone thinks of suits, thats not my intend, Look at willie with his Head band and braids, ZZ top and beards, Stevie's big feather Hat!! you can have style and be exciting, give yourself and your presentation as much effort as your instruments and playing, its a total package, 1st impressions!!!!!

601blues

I'am on the right, Charlie O with the House Rockers, on the left, Charlie and the House Rockers along with Myself was featured in the HBO Documentary, Last of the Mississippi Juke Joints,

601blues

Impressive credentials 601.  [smiley=beer.gif]
That and 5.00 will get me a Gin an Tonic!! Thanks!! hopefully I will get back into the swing here by fall, was in an accident,and have been through 2 major surgeries on my back and 4 level fusion in my neck, Left hand and arm had been numb for almost 2 years, can feel now!! but still in a cervical collar for another 2 weeks! Haven't really be able to play like I used too, but am looking for that to change, by the fall, i feel healthy and strong, and 87lbs lighter back within 9 lbs of high school weight, ready to get back

David1308

Blues Newbie
I'd like to hear from those of you that play in bands.
When you are playing a song, and let's say that the soloist doesn't come in when he's supposed to. How do you handle it on stage?
1) Stay on the chord until he starts
2) Wait for the chords to "come around again"
3) Keep going and let him catch up.

I'd say #4...Everyone stop, yell at the soloist, then start the whole song again.  Just kidding!  :D  I would go with #3.  If the band keeps playing, the soloist should be able to pick it up.  In most songs, it's not necessary for the solo to start immediately unless it's a very specific, note for note solo. 

FishKiller

Blues Newbie
When you are playing a song, and let's say that the soloist doesn't come in when he's supposed to. How do you handle it on stage?

[glow=yellow,2,300]I'd say #4...Everyone stop, yell at the soloist, then start the whole song again.  Just kidding! [/glow] :D  I would go with #3.  If the band keeps playing, the soloist should be able to pick it up.  In most songs, it's not necessary for the solo to start immediately unless it's a very specific, note for note solo. 

Perfect!! ;D ;D Keep on going he will catch up, but the soloist should be on top of it--the next practice they should be told to tighten up. It's all about comunicating with each other, pay attention to who has the lead, and know when it is coming your way.

Carlos

dougbriney

Blues Newbie

[glow=yellow,2,300]I'd say #4...Everyone stop, yell at the soloist, then start the whole song again.  Just kidding! [/glow] :D  I would go with #3.  If the band keeps playing, the soloist should be able to pick it up.  In most songs, it's not necessary for the solo to start immediately unless it's a very specific, note for note solo. 

Perfect!! ;D ;D Keep on going he will catch up, but the soloist should be on top of it--the next practice they should be told to tighten up. It's all about comunicating with each other, pay attention to who has the lead, and know when it is coming your way.

Carlos

+1 - Thanks for sharing that tip with me earlier Carlos. I brought it to practice and the band agreed. Our gig yesterday was much tighter.

Doug

dougbriney

Blues Newbie
I'am on the right, Charlie O with the House Rockers, on the left, Charlie and the House Rockers along with Myself was featured in the HBO Documentary, Last of the Mississippi Juke Joints,

Cool stuff! I've seen that documentary, thoroughly enjoyed it! Now I have cause to watch it again!

Doug

ingog

Started in 2009
On our first open mic the lady guitarist had her chance to do her solo. Poor Bea, it was so dark on stage she started playing one fret off. Eventually she corrected it. She was upset and had a few beers. On the way home in the car she let out a string of curse words that would have made a sailor proud.We laughed so much we cried.

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Danny Gatton had a solution for finding his position on the neck in dark rooms. He used cubic zirconia position markers. They would catch the slightest bit of light for him.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I heavily agree with 601. Dress like your somebody...not some body that just woke up and finished mowing the lawn or just finished changing the oil on his/her bike....Look at John Lee Hooker or B.B. King, Freddie King. When they walked on the stage they demand respect.
I remember the first time I saw A band that looked like A bunch of bums was in 1970 in Tacoma Washington. Steve Miller band was opening for Jethro Tull. The Miller band walked on stage looking like a bunch of homeless dudes, that first impression has stuck with me for 46 years
very distasteful....same goes for Clapton and a whole lot more of them. Dressing with self pride leads to pride. Would you go to a job interview do you dressed like a bum?
The last time my wife and I went to see B.B. my wife and I decked out we had front row seats after about 3 songs he stopped and pointed to us and said "you are a good looking couple, you know how to dress you look good." that was the first of a conversation that lasted throughout
the show. After the show we were leaving and he thanked us for coming to the show personally and a hand shake.

The Reverend

Blues Newbie
I stay on the same chord, until he comes around. Sooner or later he wakes up and remembers that he's in the band.

Last edited:

The Reverend

Blues Newbie
Jam Session Survival

Those of you, like me, who have yet to take the BIG step and put yourself on a public stage for a jam or band performance may benefit from this article. It's a page from a yahoo jazz guitar group. The person writing the questions had a bad experience in his first jam session and wants to know what to do about the problems he experienced. The big thing I got from this article is that you can't worry about what other people think... You have to go into it with the attitude, "I have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. I'm going to make mistakes, but I'll learn from them."

It would be great if all of you who have taken the BIG step could post your lessons learned and any advice you'd like to pass along to us. I know Dave has posted some things, but maybe we could start a list under the Important Topics section of the "Gigs - ..." category.

http://jazzguitarfaq.com/FAQ00038.htm
What I've learned is that 99.9% of the people are there for you. They're pulling for you to do good. Remember most of them wish that they could do what your doing. How do you play and sing at the same? How did you get the guitar to sound like that? (pedals) Most won't hear that one bad note, and if you hit one just keep playing. BUT then, you'll get that one person who's in your face. I just say, "here's my guitar, you do it".

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
What I've learned is that 99.9% of the people are there for you. They're pulling for you to do good. Remember most of them wish that they could do what your doing. How do you play and sing at the same? How did you get the guitar to sound like that? (pedals) Most won't hear that one bad note, and if you hit one just keep playing. BUT then, you'll get that one person who's in your face. I just say, "here's my guitar, you do it".

If he doesn't have his own guitar, he doesn't get a vote. ;)

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I've been in pit orchestras where the on-stage performers come in early or late, You're playing printed music and the conductor might call out a measure number, but mostly the musicians hear it and adjust. The show on-stage must go on.

MartinLindsay

Blues Newbie
This is “jam session / playing with others” related and perhaps covered elsewhere (if so, let me know). Call it “counting before you play” rarther than “counting while you play.”

In kicking off a tune, you count-in to set tempo, but then where you stop the count and kick it off varies from tune to tune. That requires you to know which beat you’re coming in on.

How does one reverse-engineer a tune, working backwards from the 1st bar and finding that, for example, you start on the “3 and”....?

Any guidance appreciated.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Some can do it in their head.
I can sometimes HEAR it and don't have to write it out, but often I need to write it down.
With the pick up bar & Bar 1 written down it's easy to see where to start.

Don't know if this will help

2021-06-07_10-11-20.png