Pedals and Nace Pro 18

patb

Blues Junior
The pedals are simple. Tuner, Yellow Fall delay, BD 2 and possibly a TS9 for boost.
Gibby HB's and I'm using the amp gain and reverb now. I have a Vox 2 button pedal controller but not using it. Just leaving the gain and reverb set. Low.
First, does the Nace have an effects loop and should all this run thru it? If so how do I connect it?
Next, order of pedals.
Thanks, Pat

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I don't know if the Nace has an effects loop. I'm not familiar with that amp. For effects order, try Guitar>Tuner>TS9>BD2>Delay>Amp. If you do have an effects loop, then I would put the delay in the effects loop, all else the same. You could try experimenting with having the TS9 or the BD2 first. Whichever one is set to a higher gain should go second.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
All of those pedals work very well in front of an amp, no need for an effects loop. The delay should be last in your chain and the only one that could work well in an effects loop. Regarding the BD2 and TS9, for order flip a quarter. But one thing to keep in mind: when stacking pedals, the character of the last pedal in the stack chain will be dominant.

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
My M1-18 has no effects loop, I think the Pro-18 is the same but someone who owns one will be able to confirm. Effects order as Brent and RR outlined. At the last BGU live Griff had us all set up with a TS type and a BD type, the first set as an "always on", and the second to stomp for your solo.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I have the Pro-18. It has an effects loop. Rule of thumb is not to run OD or distortion through the loop. Just things like flangers, phasors, and things like that. I'm not sure about delay's. I might try my Deja Vib though the effects loop. :Beer:

Last edited:

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
The pro-18 has a pedal loop and takes pedals very well.
You could put the yellow fall in the loop but probably not worth the hassle for just a delay.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
My M1-18 has no effects loop, I think the Pro-18 is the same but someone who owns one will be able to confirm. Effects order as Brent and RR outlined. At the last BGU live Griff had us all set up with a TS type and a BD type, the first set as an "always on", and the second to stomp for your solo.
Which one was chosen as "always on". Just curious. (y)

Terry B

Which one was chosen as "always on". Just curious. (y)

I think it was the TS type that was always on, but I suspect that as RR mentioned, it doesn't really matter. He also had one of the pedals marked (believe it was the BD) for us to adjust whether we had humbuckers or single coils in order to keep the stage volume the same. Something like noon for humbuckers, two o'clock for singles.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
If he was using the BD's level to regulate volume, the BD was probably the one that was on all the time. That also makes sense because it is the most transparent of the two (no mid hump). And if so, the BD was most likely first in the little chain as well. When doing a solo you generally want more mids, and when stacking pedals, the character of the last stacked pedal in the chain is the predominant character.

Last edited:

Terry B

If he was using the BD's level to regulate volume, the BD was probably the one that was on all the time. That also makes sense because it is the most transparent of the two (no mid hump).

Could be. One reason I'm not 100% sure is he wasn't just using those two pedals, stuff like OCD for a BD and other green type pedals for TS. But it was a good setup for multiple users to quickly move in and out of the spots.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I think from other video's he has done it is the otherway round on pedal order. The DB is last and is the base sound and the TS boosts into it with the gain down and vol high. This will still boost mids as the BD is fairly transparent so will pass through the tone of the TS.

Edit: - If you like the drive of the Nace and don't want to run perfectly clean, or are happy with the clean tone dropping the guitar vol will give, you can just use the driven amp tone for the base setting and use a TS for the lead. No need for the BD the effect will be the same.

cheers

Al.

dan5150

Shredding the Blues
I have an M-18. When that and a pedal board was my main rig, I would set the Nace to just on the verge of breakup and an OD pedal (Analogman King of Tone) always on for the main sound. At the end of the chain I would use a TC Spark boost for the volume/solo boost.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I think from other video's he has done it is the otherway round on pedal order. The DB is last and is the base sound and the TS boosts into it with the gain down and vol high. This will still boost mids as the BD is fairly transparent so will pass through the tone of the TS.

Edit: - If you like the drive of the Nace and don't want to run perfectly clean, or are happy with the clean tone dropping the guitar vol will give, you can just use the driven amp tone for the base setting and use a TS for the lead. No need for the BD the effect will be the same.

cheers

Al.
I run them BD2 and TS both ways, depending on the desired effect... and it doesn't have to be those pedals, any "full range" OD (OCD, Pantheon, BD2, etc.) will do, and any "TS" style pedal will do there (SD1, Bonzai, Sparkle Drive, etc.)

If I want more bluesy tone, the BD2 stays on and the TS comes after. The TS adds a touch of gain, a touch of volume, but mostly boosts the mids so solos jump out.

For rock stuff, I run the TS first and it turns the BD2 into more of a Marshall type sound, but then I need a clean boost after both pedals to boost volume.

Griff

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
This is why I have a full-range OD on either side of my "TS" pedal on my main board. Instead of a BD2 I have a J Rockett Dude pedal before my Dunes (808) and an Okko Diablo Gain + after it.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Interesting... I found I like my BD2 in front of my Sparkle Drive better than the other way around...
Then you actually prefer the sound of the Sparkle Drive over that of the BD2. When stacking pedals, the general character of the last pedal in the chain will dominate, and the prior pedals will just color it some (or a lot, depending on where their level is set). At least this is what I have found. Just in front of my J Rockett Dude pedal is a little HoTone Golden Touch which is a Marshall-flavored pedal. Stacking that into my Dunes (808) gives me the best "SRV" sound I have ever been able to milk out of my rig (including stacking two 808's like SRV supposedly did). Stacked into the Dude it is just as impressive but a whole different sound.

By the way, the little Golden Touch is an outstanding pedal despite its diminutive size and inexpensive price tag.
golden touch.jpg

Last edited: