Pain in my back

Monty

Blues Newbie
I hope this is the right place for this post. I practice for at least an hour every day, sometimes straight through sometimes I break it up to several sessions a day. Recently I've developed some pain in my upper back. I play both sitting and standing. Im quite sure that the pain is posture related, I have to look at my fret hand to see where I am going and in doing that my head is hanging forward which I think is whats causing the pain.
Has anyone else had this same issue, and if so what did you do to remedy the situation? Its getting to the point that I can't focus on wha Im doing because my back hurts so bad after a few minutes.

Thanks for any help.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
silly question, but what guitar do you have ?

Reason I ask, I have a damaged shoulder, playing my Les Paul for any length of time is out,

What I do do, is I use a wider strap when I play the heavy guitar, helps a ton

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Try adjusting your guitar (using your strap) with the neck pointed at an angle upward, with the body of the instrument pointed downward. You want the position to be the same while siting or standing. Keep your left elbow close to your left side (presuming you are right handed). Be sure that the tip of the left thumb is under the center of the neck. If it starts to hurt, stop! You might have to see a doctor, but hopefully not!

Tom

Rick23

Blues Junior
An issue in your neck can cause pain in the upper back and arm if you are turning your head to one side for more than a few moments. Maybe try playing in front of a mirror so you can see your hands without turning your head.

Monty

Blues Newbie
silly question, but what guitar do you have ?

Reason I ask, I have a damaged shoulder, playing my Les Paul for any length of time is out,

What I do do, is I use a wider strap when I play the heavy guitar, helps a ton
The guitar I play most is a LP standard 50's, so it is heavy. I use a wide strap when standing and it helps, but not for long. I have a SG that I'll try out and see if that helps.

Monty

Blues Newbie
Try adjusting your guitar (using your strap) with the neck pointed at an angle upward, with the body of the instrument pointed downward. You want the position to be the same while siting or standing. Keep your left elbow close to your left side (presuming you are right handed). Be sure that the tip of the left thumb is under the center of the neck. If it starts to hurt, stop! You might have to see a doctor, but hopefully not!

Tom
Thanks for the tips. I'll make some adjustments along with using a lighter guitar (see above reply with regard to my heavy LP).

Monty

Blues Newbie
An issue in your neck can cause pain in the upper back and arm if you are turning your head to one side for more than a few moments. Maybe try playing in front of a mirror so you can see your hands without turning your head.
Ill give that a try! Thanks

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Three thing come to mind.
1) Assuming that you are right handed, put your left foot on something that brings your thigh up (my chair has a foot rest about 8" off the floor)
2) Try not to tense up while playing concentrate on relaxing your shoulders.
3) Try playing a lighter guitar for a while and see if that helps.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Keep in mind that in may or may not be how you're playing. I work from home most days even before the current covid lockdown. Several months ago, my back started bothering me when I'd sit down in the music room to play. As soon as I got off in the evening I'd head in and play for a few minutes so I figured that it was the stool I have in there. Over the course of a couple of weeks, it just got worse. Tried all kinds of stuff. Finally figured out that the desk chair I was using for work had gotten tweaked and the seat of it was sitting at a slight angle. Fixed that, and it hasn't bothered me since. Still don't know why it would wait until I was on the stool with a guitar in hand to start bothering me instead of when I was sitting at the desk. Maybe because the desk chair has a back where I could take some pressure off my back...no idea.

All that to say that, if what everyone else is mentioning doesn't work, you may look at your daily routine. Are you doing the same thing just before playing guitar every day that may be a contributing factor as well? It might be worth a look.

Monty

Blues Newbie
Jmin, I don’t use a foot rest but it’s worth a try, like you said for 10its worth the gamble.
MikeS- left foot? My guitar sits on my right thigh when I play, wouldn’t I want that thigh higher(see above idea on footrest)? I think your comment about tension may be on track too. I do find myself tensing up when I’m concentrating on learning a specific part. I’ll be more mindful of that going forward.
snarf- I am retired so my routine is pretty varied prior to practice session. Though it could be that my backs getting messed up from some other thing that I’m doing prior (working on the car, yard work, blah blah blah...)
All good feedback- I’ll be trying this stuff out to see if it helps.
Thanks!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Jmin, I don’t use a foot rest but it’s worth a try, like you said for 10its worth the gamble.
MikeS- left foot? My guitar sits on my right thigh when I play, wouldn’t I want that thigh higher(see above idea on footrest)? I think your comment about tension may be on track too. I do find myself tensing up when I’m concentrating on learning a specific part. I’ll be more mindful of that going forward.
snarf- I am retired so my routine is pretty varied prior to practice session. Though it could be that my backs getting messed up from some other thing that I’m doing prior (working on the car, yard work, blah blah blah...)
All good feedback- I’ll be trying this stuff out to see if it helps.
Thanks!

Sorry, I meant right foot (My mind has turned to mush)

dwparker

Bluesologist
I used to have serious back pain, but no more. My remedy, I strengthened my back. Rows, pullups, face pulls and back extensions. I have been pain free for about 3 years now. Something maybe to consider.

Monty

Blues Newbie
I used to have serious back pain, but no more. My remedy, I strengthened my back. Rows, pullups, face pulls and back extensions. I have been pain free for about 3 years now. Something maybe to consider.
Good thought! I can always use more fitness!

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Simple solution. Limit your practicing to more frequent but shorter sessions. I think this it's a more effective way of practicing.

Monty

Blues Newbie
Update- I have put the suggestions into play now for a few weeks. Got a foot stand, love it. Got a new strap that allows the guitar to sit at the same position standing or sitting, also very good.
I’ve implemented more frequent but shorter duration practice sessions, that seems to be working well too in that I seem to be getting more out of the sessions. Ive been playing my SG in place of the LP. Ive been forcing myself to not look at the fretboard in anything more than a glance so my big head is not putting stress on my back from being hunched over.Ive been doing light stretches before and after practice and that seems to be helping loosen me up in general. My wife even got me a little gadget that zaps me when I slouch to help with my posture. I walk every day so my fitness is good in general.
My back... still painful to the point of distraction... I have come to the conclusion that I have a s#&t back, the result no doubt of a misspent youth... I’m not giving up playing, I just accept that it’s going to be painful. Could be worse
I have a physical scheduled, hopefully that will put some light on what’s going on.
Thanks again for the suggestions!

Bill_B

Blues Newbie
Hey Monty, fellow Newbie here. I also have back problem, and when I was playing my acoustic my back would ache with my foot on a rest. What worked for me was a device called a 'Neckup'. Wasn't going to mention it as it won't work on a SG guitar, but would be perfect for the LP. Looks like you have some solutions already, but I know you have to be wanting to play that Les Paul.
https://www.neckup.com/

Monty

Blues Newbie
Hey Monty, fellow Newbie here. I also have back problem, and when I was playing my acoustic my back would ache with my foot on a rest. What worked for me was a device called a 'Neckup'. Wasn't going to mention it as it won't work on a SG guitar, but would be perfect for the LP. Looks like you have some solutions already, but I know you have to be wanting to play that Les Paul.
https://www.neckup.com/
I’ll try anything,I’ll check out that link.
Thanks!