One of my crackpot ideas...

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
OK, you're in the VJR, so you know how to take a jam track and record your part over it. That will be the key to this crazy idea I have. Build your own jam track!

I have recorded three parts, drums, bass guitar and rhythm guitar. Each is in its own MP3 file. There is no processing other than amp/cabinet simulations on the bass and guitar. No delay, no reverb, nada. There is also a short click track that should be placed at the start point of the tracks for count-in, just in case you need it. Obviously, you can remove it after your recording is complete.

So, take these files and put them into your DAW. They are all the same length and start at the same point, so if you put them all at the start point of your DAW, they will be in sync. All are 320kbps MP3 files.

Mix them to your hearts desire. Don't like the rhythm guitar part? Dump it and record your own or just solo over the bass and drums. Want a lot of reverb? Put as much or as little as you like. EQ the instruments to your preference. It's all up to you. No rules!

Record your own lead track and mix the whole thing to your liking. The song is recorded at 109bpm. Why? I don't know, it just sounded good. It's not a 12 bar blues, but the form shouldn't throw you off. It's a 24 bar pattern and uses Cm - G - Ab - Ab7 - Bb. I'll leave it to you to figure the rest out.

The three important tracks are all stereo and are named as follows::
01-2021-09-01Test-JamTrackInCm - Drums-Mixdown.mp3
02-2021-09-01Test-JamTrackInCm - Bass 11r.mp3
03-2021-09-01Test-JamTrackInCm - Rhythm 11r.mp3

The click track is a mono track and simply contains the count-in clicks before the jam track begins: 06-Click-In.mp3

For those of you with a little more recording experience under your belt, I included the dry recordings of the bass and rhythm parts, so you can reamp them or use an amp sim in your native DAW software.
Those two files are both mono files:
04-2021-09-01Test-JamTrackInCm - Bss Dry.mp3
05-2021-09-01Test-JamTrackInCm - Rhythm Dry.mp3

These recordings should work with any DAW available, including Audacity.
The download file is a ZIP file, so you will need to unzip the file to find the 5 included files.

I'm curious to see if there is any interest. Have fun! Here is the link to the zip file containing all the goodies:
https://paparaptor.com/VJR/stems/2021-09-01Test-JamTrackInCm - Stems.zip

Oh... in case you want to hear what the three parts sound like all together, here's a no frills mix.
https://paparaptor.com/VJR/clean/Cm-ThreeParts-StraightMix-NoFX.mp3

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Cool track!
Nicely done, love the groove on this.

Quite an interesting challenge.

I'll give it a go :thumbup:

May be a few days before I get to it.

Elwood

Blues
That is a good idea Papa! (y) I'm with Moto, I'll load it up and see if I can play anything. :whistle: Very nice sounding foundation!! :thumbup: Nice demo also, not overplayed in my book! :Beer::Beer::Beer:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Crackpot one, reporting in! :Beer:
Here is my "proof of life" post. :whistle: This is fun, and a fun idea! (y)(y)(y) I may be back to retry it. :rolleyes: Not creative, I just stuck the track together and went for it. :cool:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ij991j8t5cq07nr/crackpot.mp3?dl=0
Excellent, especially for a first stab! By all means, try it again! It's cool to see someone else enjoying it. I may be tempted to do a few more in the future!

BTW, this doesn't apply to your case, @Elwood, but if anyone isn't up to tackling all 3 and a half minutes, don't let that scare you away. Please feel free to fade out early or cut it at any of the breaks.

Elwood

Blues
Hey folks...:)
If you are trying to get this running and the tracks from Papa won't load into your DAW...I had to take each individual file and put them in a temp location on my computer (desktop for me) and then they drag right into the DAW. :whistle:
I just thought of this and wanted to share. If you are dragging the file and it won't "stick" in your DAW, give this a try. :thumbup:

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
Great idea!!! I used your dry tracks and added some Bias FX2 presets to them and threw a little one taker solo over the top. I will most likely play around with some more presets on your tracks to see what kind of mayhem I can come up with if I get a little more time tonight. Here is my first crack at your crackpot idea.

TZ Crack

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Great idea!!! I used your dry tracks and added some Bias FX2 presets to them and threw a little one taker solo over the top. I will most likely play around with some more presets on your tracks to see what kind of mayhem I can come up with if I get a little more time tonight. Here is my first crack at your crackpot idea.

TZ Crack
Excellent! I like the reamp you applied to the rhythm track. In places it sounded almost like an organ.
Of course, your soloing always keeps it fun and interesting.
Thanks for thinking outside the box on this one.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Nice job with that @Ted_Zeppelin !!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: You definitely brought some heat to it!!! :cool:

Welcome to Papa's Crackpot VJR Buffet!!! :Beer:
You don't have to be crazy to hang around here, but it sure does make it a lot more fun!
googleyes.gif

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
That's why I did it, so it can be tweaked! Nice direction you took it, Captain!

I'm surprised you didn't ditch my rhythm guitar track. I added it at the last minute for anyone who might be skittish about playing with just a bass and drums.
It's really a treat to hear how others would mix the same basic instruments and what they would add on top of it. I hope a few more people will take up the challenge. In addition to being fun, it's educational to me to hear how others do it.

Thanks @CaptainMoto!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
That's why I did it, so it can be tweaked! Nice direction you took it, Captain!

I'm surprised you didn't ditch my rhythm guitar track. I added it at the last minute for anyone who might be skittish about playing with just a bass and drums.
It's really a treat to hear how others would mix the same basic instruments and what they would add on top of it. I hope a few more people will take up the challenge. In addition to being fun, it's educational to me to hear how others do it.

Thanks @CaptainMoto!
99% of my mixes are of my own stuff, but I have learned from the few mixes I've done on others work.
Thanks

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Some Strange
Used the dry tracks and many of my newly acquired "free" (actually about $8 each) plugins - the promo is now up to 11 free for 1
@PapaRaptor this was fun and educational for me, doubtful though that this particular track is educational for you:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: best listened to with a few adult beverages
you will hear some strange noise, try not to flinch:eek::eek:

Excellent! I'm digging all of these. Nice work @CaptOblivious!